“Nice hotel but a little noisy”

Inn At Cape Kiwanda
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pacific City
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We recently stayed here for 3 nights and we chose this place partly because it was away from the larger ciites on the coast and it was still on the beach. The hotel itself including the staff are all excellent. The price we paid to be beachfront seemed to be in line with other hotels up and down the Oregon coast. The location of this hotel makes it easy to use this as a base camp to explore up and down the coast or else if you just plan to relax there are enough choices of restaurants within Pacific Beach area that you do not have to go far.

The one down side, and this could be a big issue for most people, is that the hotel is located steps away from a road that is between the beach and the hotel and from 6:00 am till midnight this road is quite busy with beach goers. And because the rooms do not have air conditioning it is uncomfortable to sleep with the windows open due to the noise. The hotel has thoughtfully supplied a clock radio which you can set to a soothing surf or babbling brook sound to drown out the noise but during the summer months it is unfortunate to do this. We were on the 3rd floor which didn't seem to matter one bit.

All in all, still a nice stay but I would look for somewhere else if I was to stay there again in the summer. Perhaps in the off season there would be less traffic.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Inn At Cape Kiwanda

Reviewed August 18, 2007

My family stayed in rooms 212 and 213 for two nights in August 2007. We contacted the hotel for reservations and paid $179 a night per room. Even though the property is ten years old, the interiors still look new. They're quite attractive and in great shape. The view looking across the street is the real problem here. All the rooms face the ocean, but there's a busy road between the hotel and the beach. Our rooms were right on the highway and we saw a lot of traffic and heard a lot of road noise. We tried to get moved to the third/top floor but no rooms were available so we stayed put. Third floor would have been better. The wing we were in is also closer to the road and I would suggest asking for the southern wing instead. There is a lot of construction going on across the street as some timeshare condominiums are built and they will significantly alter the view from the hotel. The staff is friendly and they offer a nice "s'mores package that includes firewood, marshmellows, chocolate, graham crackers and metal BBQ fire sticks all in one convenient package. Much easier than buying all that stuff yourself! The beach was nice and convenient. There is a great state park on the beach nearby, very private and desolate. A great spot for beach fires or you can rent horses at a nearby stable for a beach ride. Plenty of surfers and fishermen. Fun to watch the Dory fleet launch and return with their catch. Great sand surfing on the big dunes at the end of the beach. There's a place to rent boards right across the street. The Pelican Pub was OK but not great. Pizzas were wonderful and the on-site brewed beer was tasty but the rest of the food was ordinary and the service was quite spotty. They sell a lot of Pelican Pub t-shirts in the lobby and the wait for a table can be quite long. There's a nice espessso place in the same building as the hotel and they have great coffee and good breakfast-type food. All in all, we had a fairly pleasant stay at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda but getting different rooms in the other wing on the third floor would have improved our stay considerably.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelingManVan
Reviewed August 9, 2007

This was a pleasant hotel, with clean, modern rooms. We had a reasonable view of the ocean, though the view was across a car park which did detract from the overall view.The rooms would benefit from air conditioning since the combination of a very warm room and noisy free standing fan, made for a somewhat disturbed night.

The Pelican pub and brewery across the street was a recommended place to eat, but frankly it looked shabby and smelled like a greasy spoon cafe-maybe our expectations were a little high (certainly it was very busy, with a 20 min wait for a table)-but we chose to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank cherryRUk
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We drove up the Oregon Coast to Astoria from California on vacation. We had some rooms booked and some were drive by selections. We thought Inn of the Kiwanda looked like a great little Inn to stay at. The room was very nice and comfy. However, we were disappointed that the Hotel staff did nothing to have a Food Services Truck move his rig from the front of the hotel, thus the refrigeration unit on the truck spoiled everything for us. We thought we would be able to leave the balcony door open to hear the sounds of the waves, but that was not the case. The truck was parked in the parking lot in front of the hotel next to the Beach. Not only was it an eyesore, it was noisy when the refrigeration unit came on. I think it was very rude of the driver to park his truck there and it appeared the staff knew the person as they said they would talk to him. But it appeared they did absolutely nothing as the truck stayed there all night. Maybe the trucker is a regular at the Inn but if he is, he sure spoiled it for everyone. My husband went across the street at night to take a picture of our inn and we were told to get off the property as it is the stie where they are building the condominiums across the street(and from what I understand they are the same owners as the Inn). We were no where near the new building-we were standing on the hill taking a picture of the Inn because we could not get a good picture from the parking lot due to the the Food Services truck! We were disappointed that they don't seem to care about repeat business at the Inn. They did nothing to make our stay more comfortable. We loved the view from the room and the room was nice and clean-all the rooms supposedly have the ocean view. For the price we paid for the room, we thought the staff should have done more to make things right.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SammyAntioch
Reviewed June 7, 2007

We were pampered! All hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Room was amazingly beautiful and large! The view of haystack rock was perfect (yes the hotel is across the street- but still a dynamite view and 2 steps to the sand) There are chocolates by your bedside, free water in the fridge, huge new release movie section, beautiful lobby. The pelican pub and brewery across the street was great as well. Market next door which had everything you needed. We slept both nights with our deck door open to hear the ocean...it was wonderful. I don't know what all the terrible reviews are about, I give this hotel 5 stars for cleanliness, staff, view, comfy beds.....on and on. Not much to do in Pacific City except relax and this hotel will do the trick!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I have been to Cape Kiwanda many times in the past but hadn't been for about a year or so. I made reservations at the Inn, in advance and was really looking forward to a great weekend on the Coast. I was guaranteed an ocean front room and it wasn't cheap. When I checked in and went to my room, it was situated over a construction site that obstructed the view. No way would I pay a premium price ( or any amount) to stay there, especially with the noise of traffic from the street below and construction, as well as the construction debris on the beach. When I asked for a different room I was told, "I can't give you another room". Staff did nothing to help to resolve the problem. They knew it was late and "they had me". I asked for a supervisor and was told, "I can't call a supervisor". To add further insult, they took a full deposit for the room ($195) plus another $100 deposit in case I ate at the pub across the street. My reservation was only for one night and if they were holding an extra $100, I should have been told. Since they couldn't accomodate my request for another room, I demanded full credit and found another place to stay a few miles away. Cape Kiwanda is no longer a great destination, between the massive real estate development on the beach and ignorant treatment from this Inn. Too bad because Pacific City used to be a physically stunning location. No more.

Stayed: May 2007
16  Thank destination_nirvana
Reviewed January 28, 2007

My experience with this inn took place right at the end of April of 2003. School was still going on; and it was right in the middle of the workweek, so I missed a lot of the hurry, hurry of travelers. I'm going to say I felt I had an average experience. If I remember right, my room was promised to be ready by check-inn time, around 3ish or so. I showed up at the front desk, I was then informed that I had to wait for about a half hour or so. It wasn't a bad wait. I just went across the street, and took in sunshine, and read a book to pass the time by. My room was ready after the time promised, half hour. Check inn was efficient and courteous. The price was a little steep, but I wasn't surprised; given the fact that it's an inn and the amenities that were provided. I had a comfortable bed, a fan was provided in my room (ie. I need a fan to help me sleep through the night), and also there was a little snack bar. What really helped the experience is the fact that the Pelican Pub is walking distance. I was treated to good meals, and friendly service. I think one of the downfalls is the view. Sure you can see the rock and the ocean, but again the parking lot sits right below and it sort of steels your attention. I'm a photographer, so I notice stuff like this. Also the roar of trucks and Harleys take away the serenity of the pounding surf of the ocean. As I recall, that didn't persist through the entire afternoon. Around ten o'clock or so at night the street noise disappeared, and I was calmly relaxed by the pounding surf. I think a big plus of the inn is the fact I'm a bicycle rider. Pacific City is definitely a bicyclist's paradise. Other than Kiwanda Drive, Pacific City isn't much of a problem for heavy traffic. I would say, overall, my experience of the inn was a positive one. Will I return? Probably not soon, but I'm planning someday in the future if Lincoln City just gets way too congested with tourists and if I need a little more peace and quiet. I would probably recommend it to friends who prefer a small, quiet town as Pacific City.

• Stayed: April 2003, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank OregonRob
#5 of 35 in Lincoln City
Shorepine Vacation Rentals
Shorepine Vacation Rentals
#2 of 4 in Pacific City

Been to Inn At Cape Kiwanda? Share your experiences!