“Keep moving.”
Review of Alpine Chalet

Alpine Chalet
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Otter Rock
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Having worked in the hospitality industry, I was a little taken aback by some policies of the Alpine Chalet:

-At check-in I was asked for a credit card, which is normal, but something seemed fishy so I asked to make certain this was an AUTHORIZATION, not a CHARGE, as industry standards are to take an authorization on a card and get final payment at check-out. I was told that this was a charge for payment. At check-in. **(This is why one does not begin their stay in a hotel with a debit card: the funds should be placed on hold with a possible additional sum to cover a deposit. When checking-out the balance is then charged to 'this' or 'another' card. If 'another,' the hold is released (though it may take a few days to return the funds to a debit) on the original and charged to the new.)**

-I asked if we were to check-out early would I receive a refund, then, on the nights not stayed (also standard industry practices). I was told that, no, I had made a reservation, would be held to the reservation, and would still be charged the full amount.

-It could be made more clear on their website that, over two people, an *ADDITIONAL* $10 *PER PERSON* *PER NIGHT* is charged. This in a Chalet that is designed to 'sleep 6-8'.

-If one of us left early? Again: we were being held to the letter of our reservation. I've never *NEVER* heard of this in hospitality.

The rooms are nice, quiet, large, and interesting, they're clean and the location's pretty decent. But the manager seemed to think that his way was standard: to hold the guest to the letter of their reservation, to charge at check-in. Being that this location seems to have little to no knowledge of what I've come to know as standard industry practices, I cannot recommend this location to travelers if there is even a chance your plans might change. And there is ALWAYS a chance things might need to change.

Could it be that these are 'condos' and not a 'motel'? Could be. But there's a neon sign out-front that flickers 'VACANCY' so this place is being treated as a motel.

Book further down the road. Newport has plenty of hotels that overlook the beach. Plenty of quiet locations. Lincoln City is much the same. Plenty of FANTASTIC summer rental 'cottages' that follow well known practices in hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank Roadly

Reviewed July 23, 2009

My brother, his wife and I made the chalets our home away from home for three nights, and totally enjoyed our stay. The chalets are located above a secluded cove overlooking the Pacific Ocean with a view of Yaquina Head Lighthouse. There is a trail leading down to a private picnic area and the beach. The property is located on the Otter Crest Loop between Newport and Depoe Bay and is secluded from Highway 101. The location is on the central coast, and is convenient to explore in both directions.

The full loft a-frame was well appointed, and could sleep up to six people. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything we needed to prepare meals, other than food. The unit(#4) had a living room, and a bath and a half. The office had games, books and movies available to checkout during our stay. The base price the of unit was $150 for two people, during the high season, plus $10 per each additional person.

The new managers were very friendly and welcoming. We totally enjoyed our stay, and encountered no problems. We didn't want to leave. There is something about sitting on a bench overlooking the beach while sipping a morning cup of coffee.

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2006

We booked the Chalet for 3 days and 2 nights over Thanksgiving and then loaded up three young kids and a 90 year old man to drive three hours through a rainstorm to get to the Chalet. When we got there, we found that their credit card machine was broken. With tired old and young passengers, we asked if we could just get a room key until the machine was fixed. They said no. After waiting about an hour, we got in touch with our Visa card company who affirmed that our card was good and offered to give the owners and authorization number. They still refused to let our group in, and more than that they were incredibly mean about it, as if we were putting them out and were simply not wanted. We were not rude. We were not threatening. We just wanted to get some little kids and an old man in a dry room. Finally, tired of waiting, and tired of being treated so poorly, we left and drove down the road to the inn at Otter Creek, where they were incredibly nice, gave us one of their last rooms, and offered not to charge us until we were sure we had straightened things out at the Alpine Chalet. I had anticipated a wonderful Thanksgiving at the Alpine Chalet, and instead ended up simply being thankful for the Inn at Otter Creek .

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank argon2
dustylavanway, General Manager at Alpine Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2008

My name is Dusty LaVanway and I and my bride Gigi are the new managers here at the Alpine Chalets as of one year ago. We were not here at the time but I want you to know that we would never do this to one of our guest. We have had the card machine go down and it is our policy to welcome the guest into their room, and ask them to return to the office later to finish checking in. We will do all that we can to see that your stay with us is enjoyable and memorable. We also apologise to the person whom wrote this review and thier family on behalf of the Owners, none of whom would condone this type of treatment.

Reviewed October 14, 2004

This place was awesome! Was our favorite spot on the whole trip. Only 5 minutes north of town. Super quality chalets with new furnishings. Great kitchens. VCR's with free movies in the office as well as free board games & books! Short walk down the path to the beach. Just a beautiful place that you will not regret choosing. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2004
6  Thank andynapril

Been to Alpine Chalet? Share your experiences!