“Disappointed is a major understatement!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pioneer Pizza & Family Pub

Pioneer Pizza & Family Pub
Ranked #65 of 112 Restaurants in Oregon City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Portland, OR
“Disappointed is a major understatement!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have given myself a couple days to cool off before writing this review.

We moved to the area in June of this year and have been consuming Pioneer Pizza from THE DAY we moved in and about every other week there after. We love the pizza. The service is spotty. They aren't usually quick about checking in, seem spacey when we give our order, or just plain forget our order. The servers have always been very nice though. We aren't tough to please, so we just roll with it.

Saturday night though, we had these most awful experience here. And you won't believe who the horrible service was delivered by. Read on....

Knowing how much we love Pioneer Pizza, my sister bought us a gift certificate on her way out to our house on Saturday. That same night, we wanted to use it. I call in the order and we head down to pick it up. The conversation in the stores goes something like this:

Employee: (takes certificate) What is this? This isn't signed and this isn't one of our certificates

Husband: My sister-in-law just bought it for us today

Employee: I don't know what to tell you, this looks fake and forged. We haven't sold certificates that look like this in a COUPLE YEARS and this certificate isn't signed

Husband: We come here all the time and we would never do something like that. I am telling you she bought this just a few hours ago, here at this store (which is the ONLY Pioneer Pizza)

Employee: For all I know you could have found this in a garbage can and forged it

Husband: I don't like your tone or what you are insinuating.

Employee: (again) I don't know what to tell you (as he walks away WITH our certificate)

After he walked away, another employee says to my husband how sorry she is, sorry from the bottom of her heart, and that he should not have talked to us that way. She offers to give us 50% off the pizza. My husband thanked her, but said if we aren't able to use the certificate, we won't be taking the pizza. At that point, my husband had to step outside as his blood pressure is now through the roof. He tries to keep his cool. I call my sister and thankfully, she is just a few minutes away, so she stops in to show her receipt.

Sister: EXCUSE ME, did you check your book that the girl I bought it from recorded my certificate numbers before you accused my brother in law of being a thief?

Employee: Yes, I just called the manager and she confirmed that she did sell them to you. The certificate should have been signed. If it had been signed, this wouldn't have been a problem

Sister: So rather than check with your employee first, you call a good customer a liar and a thief

Employee: I never said that

Husband: You said I could have found it in a garbage can and forged it

Employee: Well, I'm sorry (AGAIN), I don't know what else to say

Husband: What is this? (Spots a gift certificate display) Gift certificates now available and what do you know, the certificates on this picture look EXACTLY like mine

Employee: Well, we just started selling those today

Husband: ....

Sister: Like my brother said, I BOUGHT THESE TODAY

Employee: I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say

Sister: How about you don't say anything and learn how to treat your customers with some respect

Employee: ...

Husband: Are you a manager?

Employee: I'm the owner

Husband: (almost choking) THE OWNER?!

Employee: Yes, I'm the owner

Husband: You should probably go back to school and learn some basic customer service skills

I wish I would have recorded the conversation. This script just doesn't do it justice. This guy was the most arrogant jerk.

How many times did he say "I don't know what to say"? I lost track. How about I'm really sorry, I was wrong or I should have investigated on our end first or take this pizza on me this time. There wasn't anything even remotely sincere in his apology.

Because this was the owner of the business, I have to give them one star, right? And because it was the owner, I cannot patron the business again, right? I have received bad service at plenty of places and haven't refused to go back because I typically assume the server was just having an off day. But, when the guy getting all the cash treats any customer like that, I just cannot give him anymore of my money....Right? I am so pissed off that he treated us that way and extra pissed because I love this place and cannot give him my business any longer.

If he treats his customers that way, I cannot imagine what it must be like to work for that dude. What a jerk!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank CRYSTALWMTB

“Average pizza - overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Not much atmosphere to speak of - is located in a strip mall of some sorts. Pizza was ok but the sauce was what really detracted - almost like plain tomato paste... Also, it's just a tad on the expensive side for thinnish crust NY style pizza. That said, it still beats any of the big chains hands down. I like supporting local business.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Oregon City, Oregon, United States
“Love to eat in rather than take out. Near to our home and we eat here oten. The staff is great and I "Highly" recomend.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Small dining area, but the Pizza is great. Love the "Big Jake". These folks do a tremendous job. Will go back again and again.

Visited June 2012
Oregon City
“Great food - HORRIBLE service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

I LOVE the pizza and salads here. The food is very fresh, well portioned and tasty.

However, whenever I order pizza there, I just expect them to have forgotten to make part of my order, or ignore me when I come in the door (I've only ever seen teens working there and apparently they have MUCH more important things to say about their classmates than greet a customer).

Anyways, definately go there for the food, but not if your patience level is at a low.