“Worst breakfast I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Highcliffe Pub & Eatery - CLOSED

The Highcliffe Pub & Eatery
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Seattle, Washington
“Worst breakfast I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Came in here with family for a special birthday celebration. We reserved the special room in the back so that we could have a quiet breakfast. All of our water glasses had lipstick markings or stuff on them. When I asked the waitress if she could get me a new one her comment jokingly was "oh you don't want to use this one." I wouldn't think that was funny if I was running a restaurant. Dirty glasses were just the beginning. I ordered the traditional breakfast with two eggs done medium. The hashbrowns were barely cooked, the egg was raw when I cut into it, pretty sure medium is suppose to be almost all the way cooked through not running and clear all over the plate. The toast was cold and not toasted at all, more like bread. Don't think they should specialize in breakfast.

• Visited December 2012

Oregon City, Oregon
“Reviews were so wrong Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

After reading the reviews was not too anxious, but thought we would give it a try. Wow I don't know where some of these reviews came from. I am thinking they must have lived in Oregon City all their life and don't know about good food.
This place is great the food is the kind of food we are use to having at the better restaurants in Portland. They were so busy the place was full and we still had a marvelous meal, great bottle of wine, and for sure the best smoked salmon appetizer we have ever had anywhere. The chef smoked a salmon and created an amazing dish. We just wanted a burger, and that is what we got a real burger not a frozen patty, you could tell it was hand made it was great. Tater Tots haven't had them in years, but they are not the ones your mother use to make, they were great. If you wrote one of the bad reviews I think you should give it another chance. Can't wait to go back and see what special the chef has cooked up. Only complaint, they should have new menus they were a little worn.

• Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Restaurant with an identity crisis”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Highcliffe is presenting itself as a pub with the trappings of a fine dining restaurant and is neither. I was disappointed that the beer I chose from their drink menu and the soup from the food menu were both no longer available.

I decided on the fish and chips as this is something a pub should do well. They serve them with a "garlic malt vinegar reduction" in place of lemon and vinegar and it struck me as odd. The cod was large and delicious,the fries were plentiful but were certainly from a freezer bag.

The staff seemed friendly and it's a neat space but there are far better "pubs" nearby.

Jennifer B, Manager at The Highcliffe Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I am sorry to hear that your experience was not what you were expecting. It appears from the date of your review, we were in transition to our new fall menu. I am sorry we did not have the things available that you wanted to eat or drink. Our new fall menu has launched and I encourage you to give us another try. We value your feedback and strive for excellence. We do hope to serve you again!
Portland, Oregon
“Doubt if we will go back again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have been here several times before and seemed to have mixed reviews. However, after our last experience we wont be going back. The food was cold. To the point it was not eatable. The server did not serve the soup prior to the main course, and her attitude stunk. The appearance of the help made you wonder if they really worked there or stumbled into the place. The mixed drinks were bad and served improperly (I didn't know you could do that!).
Bottom line: The owners should re-examine what they want this place to be and set some higher standards. There are many many other places out there.
We will not return.

• Visited September 2012
Jennifer B, General Manager at The Highcliffe Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I am sorry that your dining experience was not stellar. We appreciate your feedback, the good and the bad. We are very intrigued by your comments about serving drinks improperly. We use feedback for ongoing training and resources and I would like to hear more. Please take the time to email me at info@thehighcliffe.com for more details. I do encourage you to try us again. We launched our new fall menu this month with all sorts of new items. Thank you!
Oregon City, OR
“Really great menu when it first opened, has changed in a not-so favorable way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

When this place first opened we visited several times. This is the 3rd restaurant to live here in 6 years, so we had no opinions. They had a delightful happy hour menu, and dinner menu. Delicious hand-made, thick burgers, and hand-cut steak fries, homemade ketchup. Since then, the burgers are less thick, they switched to frozen shoestring fries, and I am not sure if the ketchup is still homemade. I love the service, and the gal at the bar is always friendly and gives generous pours. I filled out a comment card about the fries because they were so good, but never heard from them, and they haven't switched back. Good place to meet friends or dine with a loved one.

• Visited June 2012