“A great choice in OC”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We've visited this restaurant twice and have been very pleased with the service and quality of food. This location has changed hands a few times but Highcliffe looks like it's here to stay! The menu is small but creative just keep in mind, this is an independent restaurant and sometimes they run out of menu items. It doesn't matter, though. Whatever you pick, you'll be pleased. Enjoy!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I and a friend visiting from out of town stumbled on this gem after 8pm this past Saturday night. We had dropped off our daughter and friends for her prom nearby and were pretty hungry by then. We saw the restaurant as we were driving toward another one we knew of, and it looked very inviting so we thought we'd give it a try. We were not disappointed! At that hour the rush was over, and we were seated right away. Our waiter, James, was friendly, helpful at explaining all the specials and answering other questions about the menu, and offered to move us promptly if we were bothered by the live music coming from a back room. We didn't elect to move, and he took our order for drinks which arrived promptly. We put in our dinner order and everything came out just as described. The smoked salmon chowder had just the right creamy consistency, a wonderful smoky flavor and good chunks of salmon. My husband had the fish and chips, and loved it. Our friend had the sauteed chicken breast with risotto, and it was such a generous portion that two of us could have shared it. My only slight complaint was the caesar salad lacked flavor, but the greens were crisp and fresh. Could have used a bit more dressing and cheese. James recommended an Oregon wine, an Erath Pinot Gris, and it was delicious. I enjoyed a Spanish coffee after dinner, which was of the perfect temperature, with the sugared rim just right. All in all, it was a delightful visit and when we find ourselves in the area we will most definitly visit again.

1  Thank Herpoohbear
Reviewed April 11, 2012

So far so great, happy hour menu is versatile and inexpensive. The popcorn shrimp is light and delicious the staff is friendly and service terrific. Say hi to James while you are there!!! The best Mac n cheese with smoked Gouda yummo!!! The burger is quite delightful too.. I say A+ give it a try!!!!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

We ate at Highcliffe for dinner on a Sunday evening. There were only 3 other tables occupied, but we were seated at a tiny (2-person) booth right next to the entrance to the kitchen. It felt like the worst table in the place, while there were many open, larger booths sitting empty. We should have asked to move to a more comfortable, private booth, but once you're settled with coats off, water glasses filled, etc. it's more of a hassle to move.

The food seemed expensive for nothing special. I had a beef stew that didn't have much flavor. My husband had fish and chips with too much breading and not much fish.

1  Thank meginoregon
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This location has been several restaurants (Black Pointe, Weatherfords, et. al.). It reopened several months ago, but my husband and I were hesitant to try it. I am sorry we waited so long! The new owners kept some of the Weatherfords staff (among them our favorite waiter, Chris), and we were greeted with a smile and seated immediately. The menu consists of a wide variety of upscale American fare at great prices. We started with the hummus plate (best hummus ever), I had the Spinach salad with steak, and my husband had Mussels. Everything was superb. We paid half of what we'd usually spend at Weatherford's! We eat out every Friday night, and plan to include Highcliffe into our monthly rotation.

1  Thank libralisa