“This place is currently under renovation”

End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center
Ranked #2 of 45 things to do in Oregon City
More attraction details
Owner description: Official End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon. The visitor center is a state welcome center with free travel information, itineraries, and brochures. Also find the country store gift shop and visitor lounge with complimentary coffee and tea. The interpretive center offers the "Bound for Oregon" featured film, genealogy assistance for descendants of pioneers, and exciting and interactive exhibits that include period games and crafts like candle dipping and making a rag doll or journal. Outside the Interpretive Center, enjoy the heritage garden, a guided walk of one-thousandth of the trail, and Abernethy Green with pioneer lawn games and 24/7 signage implementing smart phone technology.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We drove out to visit this place since I love a place like this. The sign on the road said "Open", but the big museum attraction is clearly closed. I love to read about history and gain some education while vacationing. Well, unfortunately... as of the middle of July, this site is being renovated. By looking in the widows, we see carpenters working away and the inside looks like a great museum. There are outside displays that are very informative, and the gift shop is open. The ladies inside told us it would be at least two weeks until they reopen. Sad that we missed it.

2  Thank Carl S

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a neat place to visit. The museum part was closed, but the artifacts and information outdoors was interesting to read. The visitor/gift shop was open.

1  Thank Dwight B
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I happened upon this attraction by accident. Having read so much about the Oregon Trail I was anxious to see what this interpretive center had to offer. Unfortunately it has seen better days. The grounds were open but the main exhibits were closed. Only a gift shop and a few educational exhibits were accessible when I was there in mid June, 2013. Funding had been cut years before severely reducing the site's potential. The good news is that, as of this writing, new funding had been secured and the interpretive center will be opening again in the foreseeable future. If you are a history nut like me and planning to visit this attraction soon, you may be disappointed. But if you watch and wait for its re-opening and if you are able to schedule your visit after that point in time it will be to your advantage.

3  Thank cinn808
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our family was urged to stop here on our way to Oregon so we thought it would be a fun way to learn more about the area. They had wagon displays out front and inside had some amazing displays depicting life back on the Oregon Trail inside. They had a few movies and gold panning and things that we would have enjoyed although the times available didn't work for our schedule. We also didn't have time to walk the other buildings or hikes - it was a quick stop. The kids enjoyed learning about pioneer experiences but walked through quickly whereas my husband stopped to read everything and we ended up waiting for him at the exit. All in all, it was a good informative and educational stop and the family enjoyed it.

1  Thank Lindseylouhoo
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This center brought me back to my elementary school days. Learning about Lewis and Clark and the Oregon Trail helps me to enjoy my state even more!

2  Thank LLP1957