“Get a "DELUXE" room or do not stay here...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Resort

Hallmark Resort
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Newport
tripfan2885
“Get a "DELUXE" room or do not stay here...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2006

Let me start off by saying that I am writing this review from the actual deluxe king room with jacuzzi that I stayed in for three nights. I would have given the hotel a five star rating had I not seen what I have seen. On our first day arriving we had been booked to stay in a Queen Fire with balcony, not even the lowest type of room here. The room, and most rooms, are located in the larger portion of this hotel to the right of the front desk check in area. To the right meaning if you were to drive up to it and look straight at this hotel there is a wing to your right. This hotel is actually a motel with rooms that enter from the outside. We walked into the room and it smelled terrible...just like mold/mildew but I figured that it was simply because it is next to the ocean. Well, I was wrong...as I later found out. The queen bed was absolutely plush and would have been great to sleep on. The fireplace was dirty and grimy and looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks or months. There was one tv, a desk, and a table with a couple of chairs that were very cramped. The view from the room, as with all rooms here, was fabulous...right out to the beach and ocean. I did not expect a small room like this so I called down and asked if I could upgrade to a "deluxe" room. I was offered the Deluxe King Spa room on the third floor of the wing located to the LEFT of the front desk. We moved over there and were shocked to walk in. The room is gorgeous. It smelled good, there is a seperate living area with an extra tv. Nothing is cramped either. The hot tub works well, although a bit small for any more than two people...and even for two people. The king bed is nice but not as nice as the queen in the other room...different mattress. There is a couch, a table with two chairs, a TV, and a fireplace in the seperate living space. The fireplace looks completely different and very clean. There is also a kitchenette with a dishwasher, fridge, microwave, and a sink. No burners, though. The balcony is also much larger and cleaner than the other room that we had in the "north wing" to the right. The view is just as good. The rooms here are very soundproof to voices but you can hear most every step from the people above you...which is the only sound problem here. If little kids are above you as there are above me now you may be startled early in the morning...but this is not a huge issue to me. My wife absolutely loves this room and wishes that we could stay longer. Also, the sinks and the shower all work well, they did not in the room that we moved away from.

Bottom Line: I would not stay here without booking a "deluxe" room of some sort located in the SOUTH WING, to the left of the front desk. I would not even get a regular room on the south wing due to the fact that I have seen how regular rooms are taken care of here. If you can get on the top floor, which is 5 on this wing, then do it so you will hear no foot steps...as I am listening to at this very moment. :-)

• Liked — Fantastic "deluxe" king spa room. Wish I could stay longer.
  • Disliked — Do not stay in any room other than a "deluxe" room or you are taking a chance.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in the "south wing" in a deluxe room and you will more than likely be pleased. See my review.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank tripfan2885

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Washington State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

We stayed at the Hallmark for four nights and loved every minute of it! We had a beautiful deluxe room with the living area and two tvs. Room was clean, cleaning staff did an excellent job. Everyone there was so nice and helpful. Pool and hot tub are wonderful. It was so quiet there, didn't feel like a hotel room. This was our third time there and we will for sure be visiting again!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Not a thing!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank squirtcat
Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

I am very picky about where I stay, had some bad past experiences. My wife and I had booked at another local establishment in Newport, but when we saw it, quickly changed our minds and found the Hallmark. It is on a cliff overlooking Newport Beach, close to the Yaquina bay light house, with three other hotels/motels. Although the $170.00 a night may seem pricy, this hotel has all the fixins; great restaurant with extremely polite and hospitable staff, beautiful rooms (liked the softer beds, actually), big and clean room with amenities like a dishwasher, small fridge, microwave, balcony and fireplace. Wireless Internet provided free and the view from the 5th floor was magnificent. Be prepared for a hike to the beach down the cliff, there are two sets of stairs close to the four major hotels/motels on the beach, but you're looking at close to 100 steps. You won't avoid this no matter where you stay... I loved it, the more exercise the better. The beach was magnificent, staff friendly. I would recommend this place to anyone. Will most definitely go back to this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing negative to remember
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CarsonCityMc
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

We had a large, recently re-decorated room with a deck and a fabulous ocean view. The room came with a microwave, a fridge, a coffee pot, and two very comfortable beds.

The hotel has an excellent, reasonably priced restaurant--Georgie's. We had a deliciouis dinner there on the 19th and a nicely prepared breakfast on the 20th.

Unfortunately, some employees at this place don't know that they are in the hospitality business. At breakfast, when the waitress asked me how I was doing, I told her that I wasn't doing well because I had been waiting a half hour for my breakfast. She responded angrily, "You aren't my only customer."

This is hotel has so much going for it that it is unfortunate they have a surly waitress and the very annoying practice of sending some customers directly to their rooms while telling others to "get lost" and come back at 4:00 p.m. When we stayed at this place on June 20, 2006, I was denied my room twice until, at 3:45 p.m., I requested to talk with the manager. Then, magically, I was given keys to my room even though the manager told me that he was having difficulty trying to understand why I was annoyed.

The manager needs to travel more. staying in hotels that charge the same rates they charge so that they can learn how to treat customers. Some of these places are in nearby Portland. He will probably learn, among other thiings, that he has hired too few house keepers and desk clerks that have not been trained in extending hospitality.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank wonderfulworld
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

We just stayed this weekend for a Friday -Saturday getaway-Our room 453 was spacious, clean and relaxing. We had 2 queen beds plus a suite area with pull out sofa bed, 2 tvs - a gas fireplace, view balcony-and great location for a nice weekend retreat- The beach access is a few steps down, but they even supply flashlights for the dusk beachwalkers- I found it to be a very welcoming, friendly hotel -nice pool area and great convention facilities. Georgies restaurant had the biggest, tastiest chicken fried steak breakfast I have ever seen! Order one and share!!! Its huge! Great service overall- Recommend highly room and food.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Elizabeth Street Inn
Looking Glass Inn
Looking Glass Inn
#1 of 36 in Lincoln City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,240 reviews

Been to Hallmark Resort? Share your experiences!