“Quiet and Comfortable”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Ashland, Oregon
“Quiet and Comfortable”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We spent Thanksgiving here. I loved it and will return. The room was very comfortable. The staff was more than helpful and the restaurant made the best omelettes. The best thing was the quiet and privacy. We had our own back area and a path straight to the beach. At night, with the screened windows slightly open, we could hear the ocean.

Room Tip: A good place if you want a peaceful stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RicRabourn, General Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
elizasususweet,

Thank you for celebrating Thanksgiving with us and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I have shared your comments with our staff both in the hotel and the restaurant. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Ric Rabourn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Pros: Location on the beach with a great view; staff was very friendly and helpful; room was very clean (especially for a pet friendly room).

Cons: Housekeeper did not show up until 4:30 the first night, then they started work on the room above ours at 0845 (supposed to be 0930) the following AM and it sounded like they were picking up and moving every piece of furniture. This went on until about 0930.

Room Tip: Better view on upper floors
1 Thank Cariboo17
Cariboo17,

Thank you for taking the time to review the pros and cons of your stay. It is great to hear that you were happy with the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of your room. I will be sure to pass those comments on to the rest of our team. I am sorry about the late service of your room and the overzealous housekeepers the next morning. I have shared your review with our housekeeping team so that they can make the necessary improvements to the service we provide. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you on your next trip to the Oregon Coast.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This place is always the one we choose when visiting Newport. The staff has always been courteous and attentive. The rooms we've stayed in over the years have always been clean and they've updated the decor which adds for a very pleasant stay.
The walls and ceiling are not paper thin, so it's always quiet. Love the ocean view balcony, fire place and indoor hot tub.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SpicyRogue,

Thank you for your frequent stays with us at the Hallmark. I am thrilled to hear that you have had consistently great stays with us over the years. Thank you for your review and we are looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This has been our 3 stay at Hallmark. We have never had a bad experience here. The rooms are clean and in good condition. We stayed 2 nights in January and had nice weather. Our room had a balcony and a fire place. We enjoy the indoor pool and hot tub, that is in a very well cared for area that has exercise room. Beach is at your back door. My only complaint is too many dogs. I love my dog too but please people.......

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quiet.
Weatfood,

Thank you for your repeated stays and for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Dallas, Oregon
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Really everything was quite nice. Ample sized room. More comfortable bed that most hotels (there comforter is so crisp it crackles, wasn't fond of that) and the view was spectacular. They have a great lounge area in the main building. The pool, hottub, and spa were all nice. (pool towels are tiny so bring your own.) The staff was super friendly and helpful.
The real bummer is that the compressor in the mini fridge was so loud it sounded like a buzz alarm when it turned on. So about every two hours, all night long, it would wake me up. Had I noticed before bed, but we were out on the town, I would have reported it. But truthfully it was gonna get me out of bed. I would rather sleep two hours at a time, I was so tired. If it wasn't for the minor irritants I would have given 5 stars. A different room and it may have made all the difference. Overall I would recommend this hotel over most in Newport!

Room Tip: I would have chose a room higher up with the balcony to get a fire place, since it was winter. Havi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RicRabourn, Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Kenaston6,

I am so glad that you enjoyed the majority of what the Hallmark Resort has to offer and that our staff helped to make your stay a pleasant one.
I am very sorry to hear about your experience with the in room refrigerator and hope you know that our staff is always available to assist you. We strive to make your stays with us enjoyable and relaxing.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This place is all about the wonderful ocean views. Each room has a private balcony overlooking the ocean. My room had a gas fireplace, which helped keep the place warm (the room space heater was small). The rooms have a vaulted ceiling, which gives space, but all in all the room was small. The room had a musty smell after a few days, and I wasn't sure why. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The housekeeping was okay, but not great (hence the musty smell).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
RicRabourn, Front Office Manager at Hallmark Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Captclam,
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Hallmark Resort. We greatly appreciate your comments as they help us to continually improve our services. I am very sorry that your guest room was not up to Hallmark Standards. We do hope that you will consider us again on your next visit to Newport so that we may provide you with the quality and service that you should have experienced during your last stay. We do also have larger guest rooms available that you may find more comfortable.
Thank you and we hope to see you again,
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2014

First off, customer service was great. Amanda- I didn't even get to thank you. We had made reservations long before the storm was set to blow in and we were going down for a Fri/Sat stay. We made it as far as Newberg and the wife was so sick, we turned around and went home. I called from the car(hands free, of course, right?) and Amanda was great about changing our reservations to the next two days (Sat/Sun) and we tried again Saturday morning. Well, most of the storm had blown through but winds were still about 65-70 out at the lighthouse and the wife was a trooper. We arrived a little earlier and our room wasn't quite ready so we decided to go next door to Georgie's for lunch. No sooner did we order and I got a call that our room was ready.
Thanks for being so prompt. Now I hadn't stayed here in almost 10 years or so but when we opened the room, it seemed quite smaller than in previous stays. We had a queen, fireplace view on the top floor and it was actually quite nice. I've read that the balconies don't leave alot for privacy but I see the upside of having a 180 degree view. If we had people staying next door, we didn't see them on the balcony so it wasn't an issue. I do recommend always sliding that bar down on the window because it would be pretty easy for someone to go from door to door via balcony until they found one open.
We did have a couple of towel that had stains on them that were hanging on the rack. They were clean but looked like a grease stain or oil stain just didn't come out. No big deal but it was on two towels. The next day, towels were fine and we had an extra set anyway. Pool area was clean as was the sauna and hot tub. We didn't find it until the next day but downstairs has a nice sitting area near the banquet rooms that was empty. Nice place to read a book or have coffee out of the wind. Coffee! Dutch Bros is two blocks away!
Okay...Here's my pet peeve: Hotel guests that don't bother to silence their car's "lock/unlock" feature. We've all heard it late at night when guests check in (Beep....beep, beep) then again in the morning when they go out to their cars multiple times and each time they lock their doors. They can't all be rental cars so I don't think ignorance is the issue here. I believe it's a lack of consideration for others. I would recommend that staff put a nice little sign up near the counter that gently reminded people to be considerate and silence the locking feature. Am I the lone guy out there who is really bothered by this or does it seem petty?
Every car has a manual that tells you how to disable the horn honk when the car locks/unlocks.
Allright..soapbox is down. Sorry. Great Stay! Oh...and I asked at the desk about getting a little bit larger room and they checked. They have storm watcher specials going on and you can get a good deal. They had one going on during my stay and refunded me more than 50 bucks! I'll be back and it won't be 10 years til the next time.
Thanks

Room Tip: I usually opt for the top floor. Ask to be a reasonable distance from stairs or ice machine. I also...
Lawrence O,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us! I am so glad that your wife felt well enough to travel! I have spoken with the Executive Housekeeper to ensure that all linens going into our guest rooms are up to our high standards and I apologize that you had to experience anything less than perfect. I am also glad that we can look forward to seeing you both again in the near future!