“Major Disappointment”
Review of Hallmark Resort

Hallmark Resort
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I have mixed reviews about our stay. We spent $160 for a queen sized bed on a Thursday night, which being that the room was oceanfront seemed reasonable. We got to the hotel, checked in quickly, and went to our room. Upon arriving in the room we were struck by the overwhelming odor of urine, most likely from an animal. Not only were we not told that this room was "animal friendly" but I am allergic to dogs. Anyways, since the hotel was really busy we decided to try airing out the room. Eventually the smell seemed to go away, or we got use to it. The plus side was that the view was gorgous. The rooms, however, are not sound proof at all. We could hear people running around outside our room until after 1am. Not great when you are with your SO trying to have a romantic night away. The next morning we ordered room service from the resturant ajacent to the hotel, which I recommend. The food was great and they got the food to us pretty fast. However, by this point the smell had returned and I had hives from the animal dander in the room. When we went to check out I mentioned all this to the desk clerk, who said nothing and gave us our paperwork. No appologies, no explination of why we weren't told animals were allowed in the room... nothing. So while I really liked the location, I would NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank brynn72182
There are newer reviews for Hallmark Resort

Reviewed February 6, 2008

My wife and I went to the Hallmark Resort for rest and relaxation and that's exactly what we got.

The room was spacious, very clean, and had a tremendous view of the Ocean. The King size bed was so comfortable, and there are plenty of pillows. Sometimes when we stay in a motel we don't get a truly good nights sleep, that's not the case here. We slept so good. They have a little window above the sliding glass door, If you leave it open all night you get to hear the waves.

The staff here is so friendly and truly goes out of their way to ensure you are taken care of. They waited until we were in our room a little while and then made a friendly call to make sure we were happy with our room and was there anything we needed.
They even helped get a stuck seagull off of our balcony.

The pool and jacuzzi are very easily accessible, and clean and warm. Don't miss out on the Sauna.

We had a great time and will definately be back to the Hallmark.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2008

My husband and I spent a week at the Hallmark Inn for our honeymoon. We absolutely LOVED the view from our room, the comfort of the fireplace and jetted tub in our room, and helpfulness of the staff. When we requested a DVD player the maintenance staff was up within minutes with a TV and DVD player for us. The housekeeping staff was always friendly during our interactions for towels, salt packets or coffee pod filter request. The exercise room was also well equiped, not only with gym equipment but a TV and water cooler as well. We did not use the swimming pool, but it looked nice and was typically being used when we drove by. We appreciated there was a coffee cart near the lobby where we could purchase flavored lattes or a mocha. Access to the beach was great, and it looked like they hosted picnics or bar-b-ques ourtside near Georgie's. Although the sofa was saggy and somewhat uncomfortable to sit on we would say our overall opinion of the Hallmark Inn was above satisfaction.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank FunnygirlBoise
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Our reservations were for a King Bed suite on the 4th floor. We specifically wanted to be on the top floor and that was confirmed on the phone with the hotel reservationest .

Red flags went up when we checked in at the front desk upon arrival.

Our confirmed reservation for a room on the 4th floor was "taken". Then we were told there was no 4th floor....A little confusion on their part at the desk it appeared. I later found out there are perhaps several rooms on a 4th floor.

We were tired and wanted to get settled in so we took the room offered
on the 3rd floor.and it was" ready for check in." Upon entry of the room we noticed many things that were just not quite in compliance with a quality hotel. . Plastic Electrical plate cover broken,
cracked with part of plate missing. Dirty carpet with spots and splatters, (Going barefoot was not an option) Cracked tiles in the bathroom floor. Furniture was saggie and dingy. Sheets on bed were wrinkled not crisp. (wonder why.!) Towels were not of a quality that you would expect of a 5 star hotel.

Stayed: November 2007
8  Thank universal11
Reviewed October 6, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed over a week at the Hallmark in Newport, and we had a marvelous time resting & relaxing there! The group we came with already agreed overwhelmingly to come back there next year, and we're recommending them to all. Someone previously lamented in their review that the Hallmark doesn't have A/C in any of the rooms. This is true! But as it stands, hardly any hotels on the Oregon Coast have it as it isn't needed! Every room faces the coast, with a sliding glass door & patio/balcony. The sliding glass door also contains a small 10X15inch screened window that you open to allow the cool ocean breezes into the room - trust me, it's all you need, and I live in the hot & humid SE region of the US. If it's too cold, just fire up the the fireplace with the flick of a switch, or turn on the space heater built into the wall - both are timed and will automatically shut down if left on too long.

Georgie's, the onsite restaurant boasts quite an awesome menu! Not only that, their staff are far more than accommodating & very kind - something that is at times hard to find in eateries these days. If you are fortunate enough to be served by Cindy, be sure to ask her how the fishing has been. She's a sweet lady with some great fishing tales!

The rooms were spacious, and very well kept. Parking was easy, even with several hundred in our group! My favorite thing was that just about any activity you can think of wanting to do in town is less than a five minute drive! The best shopping however is a little over 20 miles north on Hwy 101 at the Tanger Outlets in Lincoln City. I highly recommend the Marine Discovery Tour, even if the weather is foul, the tour is great! Try and get Captain Tom! And when you can, you must check out the historic bayfront area, and cap it off with a trip to the Rogue Brewery (right next to where you board the Discovery).

I can't tell yet if I'll be back next year, as I owe my wife a trip to somewhere tropical or European, but if our group chooses Newport again in years to come, I will most definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Tommy75
Reviewed August 28, 2007

The Hotel was booked under the corporate account of the business I was traveling for. It was the first time the hotel had been utilized as the company recently expanded into the area.

Unfortunatly, I was the poor soul who got to be the first. Had I been traveling on vacation, things might not have been as bad. It is right on the ocean, which is a good thing. It's a bad thing if you want air conditioning! They don't have any.

But that's not my biggest complaint. I checked out of the hotel early
(5:30am), and in my haste left a pair of pants drapped over the rod in the closet. I realized my mistake and called the hotel about 3 hours later, so it would have been about 9:00 am.

After being put on hold for a long time, finally was connected with Housekeeping. Nobody found trousers in the room. What's interesting is that I had left a $100.00 bill in the back pocket. So within 3 hours, the trousers, the $100.00 bill were abducted by aliens.

I was willing to chalk this up to me being brain dead so early in the morning. My wife, however was not (although she would agree I could be brain dead!).

She called the hotel first thing Monday morning. The front desk connected her to Housekeeping who didn't answer the phone, but she left a message. The machine said they quit at 4:00pm. She didn't get a return call, and called the hotel at 4:00 to state her displeasure. The front desk clerk couldn't have been more sorry for our situation, but was also unable to help. She gave her the number for the General Manager. She called, had to leave a message, and SURPRISE, Rick has not called her back either.

They have a serious problem with housekeeping staff. If they had been
in the room to clean it that early-which I doubt-and found no personal items, I'm guessing it's because somebody checked the pants, found the money and had to dispose of the trousers! Couldn't very well have put items in lost and found with something like that missing, could we?

I'm not pleased with the way this operation runs it's business, especially that they won't return phone calls. That's no way to run a business.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank larnyj
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at the Hallmark for three days(this is our second time here) and loved it. We found the staff to be extremely helpful. When our door didn't want to unlock on the second day, they apologized profusely, and sent someone to change the lock.

The views here are really beautiful, the beds comfy, and I didn't hear any noise from our neighbors even though the place was packed and we had a group with very small children right next door!
Georgie's is good food, breakfast was my favorite, and being able to call down and have them call when your table is ready was a bonus. We ate in room twice, and the food was delivered quickly and piping hot. In all of our interactions with the staff they were friendly, courteous and went out of their way to help us.

Stayed: August 2007