“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Portland, Oregon
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed one night in room 617 and we were very pleased with the room. We didn't have any problem with our reservation and we were able to check in early. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice except for the green carpet. You have to walk up alot of stairs so if you have knee or leg problems it's not the best room for you. Great view from the balcony. There was a telescope in the room which was really cool. The bed was comfortable but when we pulled it down we saw a flea jump off. There is no air conditioner or fan so it was a little stuffy when we came back to the room in the late afternoon but when we opened all of the windows it cooled off fast, good thing it wasn't hot outside. The bathroom was very nice, it had a good shower. We went to the bar/restaurant at night for some live music and drinks. Overall the positives outweighed the negatives. Check out was fast. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Lisa C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our resort. I am thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience. We pride ourselves on our guest relations and I am thrilled that our staff were able to deliver the professional service that we value so strongly. I would like to note that while many of our units do have stairs we also have many guest rooms and amenities that are ADA accessible. I would like to apologize for the flea, this is not our usual standard of housekeeping, and we will be taking swift action to double check the room to ensure our future guests do not experience this issue in the future. We are happy to hear you were able to relax and enjoy our live band in our on-site restaurant, we appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed August 7, 2013

1) room wasn't ready @ 4 as stated
2)booked the president the most expensive room there only; hotel is tiny
3) bathroom smelled like a wet rag because it wasn't washed
4) shower curtain wasn't clean
5) husband had went to
Customer desk and ask if we can get more blankets; they said they'll have someone bring it; that never happened!!!!!!
6) visa total of 341.45 on hold only for deposit til last day to charge and we ended up paying 270$ cash and 101$ on visa; they have 702$ total charge i called and embarcedto stated its my bank puting my finds on hold and my bank said that embarcedaro put my fund on hold went on 2 conference call- 3 way call and got no where. Acct was nice enough to call and fax me info but my bank would have to speak to the merchant 1st for verification !!!! I just gave up.........
4) very bad customer I've called 4 times and xfer me to 3 people that whole times........

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Daleexiong
Hello Daleexiong,

I apologize for your poor experience during your recent stay. The level of service and housekeeping you experienced is well below our usual standards and inexcusable. I would like to mention that since your stay we have come under new management and we are working diligently to resolve the issues you experienced. We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention so we have the opportunity to improve, please feel free to contact me directly at 541-265-8138 or via email at Jeffrey@Embarcadero-resort.com I would love to hear more about your stay and encourage you to try our beautiful bay-view resort again with the assurance that these issues have been addressed and will not be repeated. We appreciate your business.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We love the Embarcadero - less this time than the last, but we will still go back. The difference is in the room assignments. The Embarcadero is being remodeled room by room. If you get a new room that is great - a worn room, not so great, and old room - oof.
This time we got a worn room in section H. It was still comfortable, but not as nice as one of the newer rooms right on the bay. The view in H is also not as nice.
The cleaning staff is also different based on the room. Ours was ok at best. Turns out they get paid by the room so there is an incentive to go quickly and not spend time on the fine details. This is really too bad. Also turns out that the comforters are not changed every time the linens are - ours had hair on it from the last guest, or perhaps last several guests. When we moved a living area chair there was popcorn on the floor - who knows how long that had been there.
When you stay in a vacation rental you expect to do some cleaning and such yourself during your stay, just not on the first night. Once we touched it up it was very comfortable.
The pool was warm and the hot tubs were not too hot.
The location is perfect for local access and for day-tripping.
This is a nice, comfortable place to stay - just hope for one of the newer rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank robert s
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Robert S,

We appreciate your feedback and continued patronage, it is unfortunate that some of our unit owners have hired outside cleaning personnel to maintain their guest rooms, our units are each owned by different owners and some choose to outsource their cleaning to companies that pay their employees by the room. This is not the Embarcadero's policy, our housekeeping staff are caring professionals who work diligently to ensure each and every room is given the time and attention necessary to meet our standards. I strongly encourage you to contact the resort directly next time you wish to visit at 541-265-8521 or feel free to email me directly at Jeff@Embarcadero-resort.com. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, we look forward to seeing you again.
Elgin, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in the Sunset by the bay unit. It was a 1 bedroom unit with a Murphy bed and a hideabed in the Living Room. It was a nicely updated unit with very nice furniture and decorating. We were right on the bay with wonderful views. This unit had a flat screen TV in Living and in the Bedroom and a fireplace and also a jetted tub in the bathroom. It had a full kitchen that was stocked with most items you would need for your stay. Beds were very comfortable including the Murphy Bed( we did not use the hideabed). The bed in the Bedroom did have a low footboard and our friends said they ran into it quite a few times with their knees. Some muffled noise from the unit above us, but it wasn't too bad. We noticed a few small items missing from the room and put them on a list and the cleaning staff made sure theses things were taken care of. I do have to state that most the units we saw had quite a few stairs getting to the entry doors. A little more work for anyone having physical challenges with stairs. They did have quite a few rules, but this was a condo resort. Front Desk staff were very helpful. They do have an onsite restaraunt, but we didn't use it. They also have private boat docks and private fish/crab cleaning areas with ares for crab cooking. We didn't use these either since we used the charter fishing services for this. I'm sure all units are different since some are privately owned but we were very impressed with this unit. Right on the bayfront and close to all activities on the bayfront. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hello Laura P,

I am happy to hear you had such wonderful experience at our resort. We appreciate the kind feedback and are thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy some of our many on-site amenities. I am glad our dedicated staff were able to quickly resolve the issue of the items missing in your room, this is the level of service we pride ourselves in. Again, thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your return!
Reviewed June 25, 2013

It had been 15 years since we have been to the Embarcadero and boy were we disappointed! We had a basic room that wasn't actually bad in size, but in repair. Very worn furniture, bed skirt that sagged to the floor and made it look dumpy, hole in the down comforter (it had very little down left in it), stained carpet and no curtain on the glass door to the deck. They did come to replace the door curtain, but it was missing two slats! No ice bucket, iron or iron board either. The deck had old, worn furniture, but usable. In addition, we had to air out the room since it was very musty! Will not be back!

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you sign on the dotted line! Don't let them put you above the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Loanne H
Dear Loanne H,

I am sorry to hear about your stay. I would like to apologize for the condition of your room and I would like to let you know that the resort is now under new management. We are working tirelessly to resolve such issues, however, I would like to get more details in regards to your stay, please feel free to call me directly at 541-265-8138 or via email at Jeff@embarcadero-resort.com We appreciate the opportunity to improve our standards and with the help of valued reviews, such as yours, we are working hard to resolve issues you experienced. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 3, 2013

So I'll caveat this by saying we stayed here for the marathon. Since they have the packet pickup here and the finish line is here, that pretty much sealed it for us.

If you weren't staying there for the marathon, then the location might be a problem for you. Unlike many of the other places (Shilo, Whalers), the Embarcadero is on the bay, and is a 5 minute drive from the beach. You are however a short walk to the bars, restaurants and tacky souvenir shops that line the bay.

The resort is a 'condominum' style resort, meaning they'll likely differ in some respects. Our unit (531) was in the middle level and at the end. Bedroom, bathroom, kitchette, dining area and a lounge. The balcony and view were excellent. The unit itself was pleasant enough. It was certainly a bit dated (the TV in the bedroom had wood trim!), but it was comfortable and functional, with all the amenities - except a plug for the bath!

There was a recreation center and I did go and use the pool and hot-tub. The pool is actually a decent size (3ft-6ft) and there are 2 outdoor (yet screened) hot tubs to enjoy. There's also separate sauna's (although women's was out of order) and a separate gym area (that I didn't use).

In the reception area there's the Bridges restaurant and lounge. I'll review that elsewhere, but it's just to point out there is somewhere to eat/drink without walking the 5 minutes into 'town'.

Cost us $129/night which was a little pricey, but it was marathon weekend. For the space we got and the facilities, I thought that was pretty good.........although next time I think I'd prefer to stay at the beach end of town.

Room Tip: Try to get mid or upper level as the lower level units can get shaded (and don't have as nice a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hod01
Dear Hod01,

Thank you for the review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned, our resort is a condominium style resort and each unit has a different owner, as a result some of our owners have not had the opportunity to update their units, thus the dated television. In response to your review I will be contacting the owner of that particular unit and discussing the plans for their upgrade. I would also like to mention that we have plenty of units that have already been remodeled. I am happy to hear you were able enjoy some of our many amenities, in addition to those noted in your review we also have a crabbing dock and boat rentals. We appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you again for the 2014 Newport Marathon.
Abbotsford
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our annual trip down Oregon Coast and we went backto the hotel as the location is great - nice bayview and the room. We asked for the same room as last year and it was not available at first but then it became available. Another room that we saw first needed updating, very tired looking furniture. Rooms are owned by different owners so I guess it depends on the owner. We were very happy to have the same room as last year and write on the guest book- others loved it too. Thank you for taking good care of the room even though it was an economy studio, it felft very special.

Room Tip: If you don't like one room, ask for another.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvia356
Dear Sylvia356,

I am thrilled our staff were able to get you into your favorite room and you had such a wonderful experience, it is a pleasure to be able to provide the level of service that will keep guests such as you coming back year after year. I appreciate your review and will pass your comments onto our staff. We look forward to seeing you again next year.