“ocean view, room, bed = garbage”

Embarcadero Resort Hotel
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Denver, Colorado
“ocean view, room, bed = garbage”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

If you want a view of the ocean or easy access to the beach DO NOT STAY HERE. A view of the bay and a view of the ocean are very different things. A small bit of the ocean is vaguely visible in the distance under a bridge. The bay looks like a lake with a ton of boats parked on it, and that's the view you get. There are tons of places in Newport that have real ocean views and are a 3 minute walk from the beach. Stay at one of them.

The room was terrible. Chipped drywall, ancient furnishings and decor abound. The TV was so old I actually thought it was fun to switch channels around on a TV that was made in 1989. Once the novelty of that wore off I was just incredibly disappointed. The bed and pillows were old, squishy and uncomfortable. I was enraged upon entering the room and if we had more time I would have found us a room elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel.
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
cryinglightning,

There is no excuse for a room to ever be in this condition. My sincerest apologies. I would like to let you know that we are under new management and we are aggressively handling units in this kind of condition. Please allow me the opportunity to correct this for you. Please feel free to contact me at Jeffrey@embarcadero-resort.com or at 541-265-8138. I look forward to speaking with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This place has a very nice view of the bay. Every room faces the bay so I'm sure there isn't a room with a bad view. We stayed here for the 4th of July and it's awesome to have a front row seat for the fireworks show which is launched from a barge in the middle of the bay. We were in our pj's sitting on our deck enjoying the fireworks. The room was a nice size; good size bedroom, bathroom, living room and full size kitchen with all the utensils, plates, cups, etc that you need. The thing I didn't like about the room is the decor. Everything looked very old like they are from the 70s or something, the couch, the tv, etc.....this place could definitely use an upgrade. I've read other reviews that say some of the rooms have been upgraded so I will definitely go for that next time, even if it's more expensive. Overall, I liked it here and will probably come back in the future.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Avil0,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. As you said, the 4th of July weekend is one of the best times to stay at our resort as the fireworks are launched from a barge outside our marina. This means front row seating for the firework display from the comfort your balcony! As we are a condominium-hotel, each unit has different owners, which means every room is different in it's decor changes. Please ask about our recommendations next time you make a reservation. Again, thank you for the review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed at a standard studio condo at the Embarcadero and first couldn't find our room because they took the numbers off the door. Finally a painter showed us to our rooms. The stairwells were cluttered with ladders and open paint & rollers. We were also given (again by the painter) a notice saying that the water would be shut off the next day from 11 to 2. The room was dingy and needed painting. As one person said, the pillows were old....I'd say probably back to the 60's.

The view is pretty nice and overlooks the boat harbor which makes for a pleasant sight.

The next day, while sight-seeing, we were called by the front desk asking if it would be alright for the owner of the condo to paint the inside door. We told her that we have not had a very good experience and that the water was turned off also. She then told me that the water was going to be off until after 5pm. She did upgrade us to a nicer room at a 15% discount but the hastle of packing all your stuff and moving several building away made the one night discount a token. The upgraded room was much nicer although still maintaining their 1960's worn-out pillow theme.

We decided to go to the on-site restraunt for dinner. We arrived at 4:30 and was seated with no other diners...that should have been a clue. It took over 45 minutes to get our meals and both the salmon and prawns were overcooked. This is a fishing community and a disgrace for such a lousy meal. After complaining we received a 15% discount on our grossly overpriced meal. Makes me think that they have alot of problems throughout the establishment and toss out 15% discounts on a regular basis.

Suffice to say, I would try next door at the Landing or perhaps another hotel at Nye beach. My 2 star rating is a gift!

I think they need a visit from "Hotel Impossible".. This would be a classic episode.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank L W
L W,

Thank you for taking the tie to review our resort. I would like to apologize for your poor experience in the first room you occupied but I am glad we were able to get you moved to a more suitable room. The resort is now under new management and I would like to say that your experience was completely inexcusable. In response to this feedback I would like to let you know that we are replacing our entire linen inventory (including pillows) so future guests don't have the same issues you had. Again, I want to apologize for the experience you had at our resort. Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience so I can remedy this situation for you. You can reach me at 541-265-8138 or Jeffrey@embarcadero-resort.com. I look forward to speaking with you and again, thank you for the review.

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We're staying at this hotel right now and have already spent 2 nights. The bed is bad, and so do the pilows that probably date back from the seventies. They need replacing!
Everything's tired here, except for the great view.
It's convenient for us, so we're staying, but there must be better options in Newport!
At least the place is clean and the bathroom is ok.
What I like least about this place is the fact that you can really hear your neighbors, the walls are paper thin

• Stayed July 2012
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Happy_voyageur,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. I apologize for your poor experience, I would like to let you know that the resort is now under new management and we are aggressively addressing issues such as these. I would love to discuss your stay in further detail, please contact em at 541-265-8138 or at Jeffrey@embarcadero-resort.com. Again I apologize and I look forward to making this right for you. Thank you for the review.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Ultimate Honeymoon suite was not very romantic. No view of the bridge, only the marina. The bathroom has a BIG open wall that opens to the main room, with a perfect view of the toilet. No shade or separation whatsoever. My spouse left the room to use the restroom in the hotel lobby so he could have some privacy. The tub and shower were nice, but the toilet view was a deal breaker. The bed was comfortable with lovely linens, but the room was very small. The refrigerator and microvave were stashed in a small closet, with no room to hang up any clothing or to stash a suitcase. You can't even open the refrigerator door all the way. We requested a room change after one night, and stayed in a room that was much less fancy but more sensible. The staff all knew about the problem with the honeymoon suite toilet view, and had complaints on it before. We had poor service and food at the restaurant for breakfast, and cancelled our dinner reservation. The housekeeping service for our room was only to restock towels, etc, and dump trash, bedmaking is not part of the normal service per the front desk staff.

Room Tip: I heard that the premium rooms were much better. I'd ask for one of the updated rooms. Stay...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulesW51862
Hello JulesW51862,

Thank you for taking time to review our site. I would like to mention that we are now under new management and I appreciate the feedback so I have the opportunity to correct these issues. I would also like to let you know that we are currently working to correct the issue of the "Lou with a view". Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience so I can correct this disappointing experience. Again, I appreciate the feedback and I look forward to speaking with you! 541-265-8138 or Jeff@embarcadero-resort.com. Thank you.
Reviewed July 3, 2012

All of the rooms are condos that are owned individually. We stayed in a very outdated room with a horrible bed (it sloped to the middle). When we told the person at the front desk, she said "we will notify the owner". When my boyfriend asked if they could make the owner upgrade the room, she said they had no control over the rooms. Our room was clean and the bathroom was spacious. The bedroom was small. Trim around the doors and windows was dark wood (popular in the '70s). The vinyl flooring in the bathroom was supposed to look like tile, but it didn't fool anyone. The towels were very thin. From the other reviews here it looks like there are some nice units, so it clearly pays to do your research first. I love Newport's bay front, and the Embarcadero is in a good location. We ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was very good. The prices were reasonable.

Room Tip: Do your research first.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey V, General Manager at Embarcadero Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hello Debbie S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize for the experience you had during your stay last year, I would like to inform you that we are now under new management. While each unit is individually owned and decorated we are taking aggressive steps toward eliminating such sub standard rooms from our rental pool. Due to the fact that each room is individually owned it is also a good idea to view the room upon arrival to ensure the style/decor meet your needs and expectations. I would love to discuss this in further detail with you at your earliest convenience. Please call me at 541-265-8138 so I can correct this with you. Again, thank you for the review.
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We just returned form the Embarcadero and a great stay. The Premium room that we stayed in was clean and well furnished. The view was great. Every member of the staff we encountered was very friendly and helpful. The service and food in the restaurant was incredible. We will definately be back and tell all our friends

Room Tip: Make sure you get a premium room, it is well worth the price.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear broken_ocean,

Thank you for the kind review! We are thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. We appreciate your continued patronage.