“Cozy and relaxing place for book lovers”
Review of Sylvia Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Sylvia Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Ventura, CA
“Cozy and relaxing place for book lovers”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've only been here in the winter, when it's a great place to cozy up to a fire with some hot cocoa or tea and a good book, or just watch the dramatic weather unfold over the ocean. The rooms are old fashioned, filled with fascinating books, journals and decorations that suit the style/time period of various famous authors. There are well-appointed common areas (games, puzzles, books, journals, comfy sofas, kitchenette for making hot drinks, etc) The guests are usually very interesting to talk to during the communal breakfast or dinner. I'd give it 5 stars except the bathrooms are a bit too cramped and old fashioned for me - no space to put anything, poor lighting, and occasionally no stand-up shower.

Room Tip: Call ahead to ask about the bathroom amenities. Room that have an ocean view are best, but there is...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sleeli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a place for book lovers and adventure seekers. The hotel is rich in detail and little surprises that will delight the avid reader. While always full of kindred spirits seeking a quiet haven for reading and reflection, it's not necessarily a place to go to be super social like some bed and breakfasts. It's a place to quiet your mind.
My mom and I have gone the last three years as a retreat to write, sleep, watch the waves and recharge our batteries over a weekend. We've always found the rooms catalysts for conversation about authors and exploring new (to us) books. We stay up late, drink the mulled wine, and have periods of long silences together just reading and writing. It's wonderful.
My sister and husband hear that and have no desire to stay here. Ever. --That's okay, it's just for us then.

If you want to be pampered with new, sterile, shiny hotel amenities, this is not the place for you. Yeah, the pipes are old and noisy, and the floors are crooked, which I find charming. I also bring earplugs and tend to like cats, so it works for me.

With this place, you have to be in the mindset that you are going to an elderly great aunt's old, historic house for a holiday. You have to have the same mindset as Lucy when she finds the wardrobe, or Jo as she wanders through Aunt March's house while the old lady naps.
If you want to peruse dusty volumes or find secrets and trivia about your favorite authors among your room's eclectic decor then you'll love it. Dusty in some corners? Yes. Clean enough for me in the mindset that I know the history of the place? Yes. I always get what I need there.
This hotel is not for everyone, but that's very clear in it's advertising, and actually kind of the point. The owners and staff state it on the website, and being book and cat people, you get what you get --Sometimes they are friendlier than others, but always civil. They know what they are doing obviously, because we keep coming back. They also have been doing some very nice updates and renovations, room by room, which has made a big difference and will appeal to a wider audience. It's not really a place for kids, unless you have a kid that will soak it all in. Truly, Anne Shirley would have loved it.

We've stayed in the EB White room which is now Steinbeck, and while I thought EB White was wonderful and sweet (if a little dusty and due to update) I am excited to try it's new incarnation. We also stayed in Colette, which was awesome with it's dramatic drapings and fireplace. Twain, where we camped out on the deck and soaked up some sun, was my favorite with it's giant bathtub and secret hiding place, but I'd truly stay in any room here.
I can't wait until April -- the Agatha Christie room has our name on it, and I can taste the wine...

Room Tip: Book way ahead. Like a year ahead.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Joanna B
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've stayed at the Sylvia Beach Hotel twice -- the first time for 1 night in the Emily Dickinson room and the second time for 2 nights in the Tolkien room (which felt a bit like heaven!). I would like to stay there enough times to try out every room, but I'd also be happy to be surrounded by Tolkien paraphernalia every time I go. One of the hotel cats (not sure whether it was Shelley or Dickens), was especially fond of our room and spent a good portion of the day lounging with us on the bed. The entire premise of the hotel (no TVs, no phones, no internet) makes it truly feel like a vacation when I stay there. Sitting in the top floor reading room next to the fire with a cup of tea or mulled wine while reading or knitting is my vision of a perfect winter evening. And the breakfasts!! So tasty and filling, with different cooked options every day in addition to the variety of continental choices. Eating at least one night at the Tables of Content is also a must (but I'll leave more on that for another review). And the access to Nye Beach is right next to the hotel, as is the revitalized Nye Beach shopping area (which I admit I've never had time to explore much because I'm so content enjoying the hotel's ambiance).

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but not a substitute for getting a room that is styled to your taste -- choose ca...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Love this place! Lots of cool and interesting rooms at this hotel! The atmosphere and location are great! The Breakfast is family style and you get to meet other guests or sit with your open family. It's a nice change if you want to try something new. The gift shop is great too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I give this B&B 4 stars but it is not to be put in the same category as a 4 star (luxury) hotel - this wonky funky place is in a category all of it's own! Originally created by the woman who established the famous bookstore, Shakespeare and Co. (Paris), Sylvia Beach is a charming century old seaside establishment on Nye Beach. The walls are lined with handsome pastel portraits of Fitzgerald, Virginia Woolf, Colette, and so many others. Every room is given the name of a famous author. The 3rd floor common area/ reading room stretches across the front facing the ocean - plenty of overstuffed armchairs, squishy cushioned sofas, and lap blankets to daydream in. The library has shelves of books, jigsaw puzzles & games of all persuasion. Imagine in winter, sitting down at a well loved desk to that memoir you've always wanted to write - or, cuddling up with a good book in front of a fireplace (either in the library or one in your room) - with the sound of the surf in your ears, & a glass of mulled wine before the dinner bell... then down to the dining room to share a meal and lively conversation with other guests who will most assuredly be as interested in literature as you are - otherwise, why would they be there?
FInally, one could spend many hours walking around the charming Nye Beach area, poking into the lovely exotic and sometimes eccentric boutiques - the bookshop, kitchen shop, the wineshop - coffee shops, gem shop. I can't wait to go back in the summer when the experience will have an entirely different flavor.

Room Tip: heck the website - there is a good description of rooms according to price and view: "Classics...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Duchein
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a lovely, lovely place that I try and visit at least once a year. If you love books, you will probably love this place.

It is not your typical hotel. If you want a big TV and an ice-machine, it isn't for you. But if you want to read a book, while nursing mulled wine and watching the waves below, in a beautiful library overlooking the ocean, this is just beautiful!

Each room is different, themed after an author. Some are incredible. I think the Shakespeare room is my favorite as a room goes (but it has no view). The level of pure love for the authors, as well as the knowledge is incredible. The Tennessee Williams room has a plant that is fitted out to evoke Night of the Iguana. The Shakespeare room has all the marvelous objects tagged with the play they are from.

But the library is why I come back, year after year. I love reading and writing in that room. They have free coffee and tea all day. Often guests leave cookies, and there is spiced wine every night.

I'm not a huge fan of the dining room. It is good, but a lot of high-calorie things. I don't love having a 3-hour dinner with people I don't know. When I go there, I went to spend time with the people I love, not make new acquaintances. (Although, my parents recently met someone I was good friends with in high school (twenty years ago!) and we connected, which was fun!)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank flahooley
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I read older reviews here and had a hard time deciding what to think. I had a hunch and boy was I right. This hotel is great, amazingly quiet and like you wandered back in time. It was clean, super friendly and a perfect location. The doors to the empty rooms are left open so you can take a peak at the themes and that was fun. We stayed in the F Scott Room on the third floor. We didn't do dinner here but it sounded like they were having lots of fun. Breakfast was very good and my only comment for improvement would be that it is time to upgrade the dinning room. It would be easy to do an eclectic mix of old tables and chairs and it would be far more comfortable than the cafeteria like seating that exists today. I think this would be a great hotel to come alone and disappear for a week in silence and nature.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple