“Huge portions, somewhat pricey”
Review of The Coffee House

The Coffee House
Ranked #6 of 120 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The best breakfast in town
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stopped here because it was one of the more secluded places open Sunday morning. Food was a little steep - $9 omelet, $4 mocha, etc. but I suppose that is to be expected in the tourist area. However, the portions are huge! Ordered my toddler a "small" blueberry pancakes, got one huge pancake that was at least 12" in diameter. Confirmed it was a small - the large is twice that size! There is nice dining on the deck where you can look at the dock. Food was decent, not super flavorful but definitely fresh ingredients. Given the prices, I probably wouldn't seek this place out again as a family on a budget, but it is a cute little place for couples. Clean and the service was good as well.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Service was excellent even with the crowd. Food came out hot and very tasty. Hubby and I both had omelets, The Vegetable and the Breakfast. Both were very good and enough to fill us up. Loved the dense but flakey biscuit and bread, real stick to your ribs type. Coffee was too strong for me but hubby loved it. The deco is whimsical and fun, a bit tight on the seating but it is a small and friendly place. The place was full of locals and visitors alike. The pastries looked wonderful and good enough to return to try.

1  Thank Rebekajean
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had the hash and an omelet which were fantastic. The homemade biscuits and toast were also excellent. A perfect stop for breakfast if you're on the warf in Newport!

1  Thank Micfri
Reviewed April 2, 2013

They good great pastries. Bearclaws were the best. Open just for breakfast and lunch, serving both hot and cold meals, definitely going back

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We ate here once before for breakfast and the service was slow but today was some of the worse service we've ever had anywhere. Some background, you order at the counter and then find a table. The person taking the orders is also the same one serving your food at your table (at least it has been the 2 times we've been here). Today it was Judy a very nice friendly lady who spent more time taking orders and talking with those placing orders than actually serving the food. When an order is ready the kitchen staff rings a bell to let Judy know she has an order ready for pick up. Judy just ignored the bell if she had a line of people waiting to place their order. I estimated our food sat close to 15 minutes before the person making up the beverage orders told her she had food orders backing up waiting to be served. Our food was tepid at best when she finally served it. From the time we ordered to the time it was served was over 35 minutes. I wanted to complain but my wife said we didn't have time to wait another half hour for them to get us a hot meal. Needless to say we won't be going back and suggest you find someplace also to eat as their are plenty of good alternatives to this place. The food held promise it might have been good if it had been served hot!!!!

Judith L, Owner at The Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Coffee House. It helped me to sit back & assess the way we do things. As a result, we now have a dedicated food server for our busy weekends.
Please introduce yourself to me on your next visit to The Coffee House, to allow me to make good a bad experience.......Judy, The Owner of The Coffee House.