“Great chowder!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Excellent chowder here at this downhome restaurant. Great for me as it does not have garlic in it so if you crave garlic you might have to ask for some on the side though its a family recipe and secret :)

My wife had the fish taco's and pronounced them as superb and since she is a fish taco aficionado that is pretty high praise.

Nice friendly service also and just a block away from the Inn at Nye Beach and about the same from the beach so very handy indeed!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

If your beach visit has to include clam chowder this is the place. Their chowder is definitely the best in Newport and the Nye beach area is Newport's "Greenwich Village" so is a fun stop when you are in Newport.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have come to the coast for many years but this is the first time we came to the chowder bowl. It was recommended by friends who love the chowder. Cute little place to watch people go by. Close to the ocean & easy walk from the parking lot. The chowder was good but not as good as Mo's. Our waiter was friendly but busy. We did wait a little for our food to come out but not because we was idlying around but because he was running from table to table. We all had the fish tacos & they were good & the portions very generous. I would definitely go again when in the area but go to that other place for outstanding chowder.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I go to the chowder bowl every time I come to the beach. I love their clam chowder and usually bring some home. Also, great fish and chips. I don't think you could get a bad meal their.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

For years, I along with others I know have frequented this eatery. The food, service and price was always excellent and we always looked forward to returned. However, once Chowder Bowl expanded their about double their original size. For some reason thereafter, the Chowder Bowl increased their prices substantially, the prompt and friendly service diminished greatly and the food quality declined some. We did frequent Chowder Bowl several times after its expansion and all the changes. However, after our last visit about a year ago, we took Chowder off of our local restaurant list. Too bad because we really like Chowder Bowl, the servers were friendly and great, the food was always tasty and the price reasonable. Now, and since their addition......not so much. Bummer!