“Chowder was very good”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had the Clam Fritters and fries and Clam Chowder. The chowder was very good and the fritters were very tasty, especially when dunked in the chili sauce! The prices were reasonable as were the portions. Service was good. Will get a full bowl of chowder on next visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed November 23, 2013

and that is saying something, since I don't usually much care for clam chowder. But the seafood platter was a soggy heap of fried food; not very appetizing, and rather without flavor, except for the nicely grilled halibut on the side. (We had requested the halibut to be grilled instead of fried). But, oops, perhaps I should give it another half point as their bread pudding was FANTASTIC!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Went to The Chowder Bowl tonight with my husband. I had been here before and remembered a good eating experience but tonight's was disappointing. My husband had an open faced shrimp sandwich (not fried), and I had fish tacos. It was a very good portion of 2 large sized tacos (you get a choice of flour or cornmeal tortilla or 1 of each) and there was a good amount of fish on each one but the fish was not seasoned so it tasted very bland. I added lots of pepper and some salt (I usually do not add salt to any food I eat) but it did not help much. I do appreciate that they allowed me to substitute a bowl of chowder for a side salad.

My husband said his shrimp sandwich lacked flavor as well. It's a slow season for the area and the restaurant had just a few other people eating so it was not due to the kitchen being swamped with lots of orders. The service is pretty good. It would also be nice to have a few grilled seafood dishes on the menu as just about everything seafood is deep fried. They are known for their chowder but since I am not a chowder fan, I can't say how good it is.

I would return but probably only for lunch since they have more sandwich options. I know during peak season they have people waiting for tables.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice seating. Comfortable for our group of 6. Everyone enjoyed their food. Unique round french fries. Friendly service

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach is a smallish restaurant. We ate lunch and I had the grilled oysters and my wife had a fish sandwich. My oysters were lightly breaded and lightly cooked (the way I like them, not rubbery over done), and my wife’s fish sandwich was two pieces of battered cod with tartar sauce on a bun. Both were good but not spectacular. We later heard that the chowder is to die for, so next time we’ll try that.