“Food lacks flavor”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Vancouver, Washington
“Food lacks flavor”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Went to The Chowder Bowl tonight with my husband. I had been here before and remembered a good eating experience but tonight's was disappointing. My husband had an open faced shrimp sandwich (not fried), and I had fish tacos. It was a very good portion of 2 large sized tacos (you get a choice of flour or cornmeal tortilla or 1 of each) and there was a good amount of fish on each one but the fish was not seasoned so it tasted very bland. I added lots of pepper and some salt (I usually do not add salt to any food I eat) but it did not help much. I do appreciate that they allowed me to substitute a bowl of chowder for a side salad.

My husband said his shrimp sandwich lacked flavor as well. It's a slow season for the area and the restaurant had just a few other people eating so it was not due to the kitchen being swamped with lots of orders. The service is pretty good. It would also be nice to have a few grilled seafood dishes on the menu as just about everything seafood is deep fried. They are known for their chowder but since I am not a chowder fan, I can't say how good it is.

I would return but probably only for lunch since they have more sandwich options. I know during peak season they have people waiting for tables.

• Visited November 2013

Scio, Oregon
“Yum”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice seating. Comfortable for our group of 6. Everyone enjoyed their food. Unique round french fries. Friendly service

Aberdeen, Washington
“Good Lunch cafe”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach is a smallish restaurant. We ate lunch and I had the grilled oysters and my wife had a fish sandwich. My oysters were lightly breaded and lightly cooked (the way I like them, not rubbery over done), and my wife’s fish sandwich was two pieces of battered cod with tartar sauce on a bun. Both were good but not spectacular. We later heard that the chowder is to die for, so next time we’ll try that.

Central Oregon, Oregon
“Great Lunch Stop!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My daughter chose this place for lunch, recalling a lunch we'd had there in the spring. I forgot how good the foods is. My fish in the fish and chips was exquisitely fresh. Her cup of chowder and Caesar salad were fresh and very tasty.

Newport, Oregon
“Disappointed for the first time!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have sent a number of people to this restaurant with the comment that it has great clam chowder and excellent food. Unfortunately, I can continue to recommend the chowder but changes to their ways of preparing food leave me greatly disappointed. One of my favorites, their scallop and fries is long gone off the menu. I asked and was told that the scallops are too expensive now. OK, I was fine with that. I now often order the shrimp and chips, as I did today. Instead of the large hand breaded and fried shrimp I had gotten in the past, I got seven of the oval flat commercial breaded shrimp that you can get cheap at the grocery store. I asked and that is what they plan to serve from now on. Sorry, Chowder Bowl. I will no longer recommend anything but your chowder and chili.