“Safe bet for lunch”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

The clamwich was good...nice, big clams. Service was great-waitress was lovely and this location is very charming. Lots of little shops & art galleries nearby.

There are newer reviews for Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This place or Georgie's has the best chowder in town. Chowder Bowl is fairly priced, and they have a choices for those who don't like seafood. Only downside is that it can be crowded and outside seating is almost impossible to get because it's full.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

While vacationing in Newport last week, my wife and I went to the Chowder Bowl out of desperation as there are few if any good places to eat there. When I say good, I mean tasty, something you feel has been cooked by a professional. I'm convinced they don't have true chefs in Newport, just people who put slop together and serve it for people who are used to very low standards or don't know what good food is.

The clam strips may as well have been strips of leather. I couldn't even bite into them, let alone chew. The pan fried oysters were a joke - completely mushy and tasted like regurgitated food.
They don't know how to make fries there either. What you get are medallions of dried roasted potatoes instead. Fish n' chips? They don't have a clue. Everything is Panko or some other breaded and over fried substance, which is not the traditional English way, light, fluffy, and golden. My advice to The Chowder Bowl - hire some real chefs that know how to actually cook.
But if you're standards are so low that Taco Bell is you're usual destination, then The Chowder bowl may be just the place for you.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Although we have walked past this restaurant many times in the past, on this late morning, we were drawn in by the wonderful smell of Clam Chowder! We sat in the sun on the deck, were promptly served hot, delicious clam chowder, and enjoyed every spoonful. We'll drop in again without hesitation.

1  Thank Seabreeze48
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I ate here because of the good reviews and had an excellent experience. I had the special of the day, halibut fish and chips and it was great. I also tried the chowder and it was wonderful. The best part of the meal was the marionberry cobbler with ice cream at the end. I will be coming back here many times.