“Great Chowder!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Oregon
“Great Chowder!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Although we have walked past this restaurant many times in the past, on this late morning, we were drawn in by the wonderful smell of Clam Chowder! We sat in the sun on the deck, were promptly served hot, delicious clam chowder, and enjoyed every spoonful. We'll drop in again without hesitation.

1 Thank Seabreeze48

Eugene, Oregon
“Great seafood and chowder”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I ate here because of the good reviews and had an excellent experience. I had the special of the day, halibut fish and chips and it was great. I also tried the chowder and it was wonderful. The best part of the meal was the marionberry cobbler with ice cream at the end. I will be coming back here many times.

Yuba City, California
“I return every time I'm in that area”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been to this restaurant several times and it is always a destination when I am in the Newport, Oregon area. Seven of us arrived at about 1 p.m. on Thursday and were promptly seated at a large table. Our server was very friendly and took our drink orders. Local beers are available. We all ordered water with lemon and I ordered one of the local beers. Those of us that ordered clam chowder received the soup first. In my opinion it is excellent. You can order it in either a cup or bowl. We ordered a variety of items. Mostly a fish place, non-seafood items are available for those that don't like or can't eat seafood. I ordered the three piece fish and chips. The main courses were then served including orders that didn't include the chowder. Our server refilled our water glasses at this time and returned later to refill them again. My fish and chips was a three piece and the pieces were a good size. The fish was cooked correctly and was very meaty. The chips are sliced potatoes that are shaped like large coins. Just like my mom used to make. Everyone agreed that their food was excellent. After our meal, the server asked us if we would like desert, but we all declined as the meal was sufficient for our needs. A couple of things about this restaurant. One, it can get very busy and crowded at times and you may have to wait, but it would be worth it, IMHO. The workers all seem very friendly and take the time to make you feel at home. There is also a patio so that you can take you meals in the fresh air. Overall, not a fancy place, but friendly and you should ever leave hungry.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John F
Tulsa OK
“Disappointed and Frustrated”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Chowder Bowl has good reviews and we anticipated an excellent meal. We were disappointed with the food and extremely frustrated by the service. We sat 30 minutes before our order was taken. After another long wait, two of the four in our party were served. The fish was dried out and cold, obviously had been sitting on a shelf for a long time. After another 15 to 20 minutes, the other two persons were served with much the same results. A waiter kept apologizing for the slow service, but most of the staff seemed to be standing around with nothing to do. None of the dishes we ordered were better than mediocre. The poorest service and meal we had during a two week stay on the Oregon coast.

• Visited August 2013
Newport, Oregon
“Mud & hair in food. Won't be bringing visitors here again!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I live in Newport and this evening I took my guests to the Newport Chowder Bowl tonight. I will never return, certainly not with guests.

My clams tasted off but I persevered until I found the ones with mud in them. I was warned beforehand by the waitress that everything they serve is pre made in individual bags. I sent them back. Had they rinsed them beforehand they probably would have found it. I know I do after I've been clamming.

The waitress offered us a free desert to make up for it so my guests chose the bread pudding. Just before the last bit I took a bite only to end up with a long hair in my mouth.

When I went up to pay the tab our waitress asked how the bread pudding was. I told her about the hair and that I probably wouldn't be bringing any other house guests to the Chowder Bowl. She replied that wouldn't be a problem as they serve thousands of people - my business doesn't matter.

I must say, she was very polite. However, they obviously don't care about the quality of their food or public opinion.

2 Thank GP_Harlow