“Yum!”

Local Ocean Seafoods
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Ocean Seafoods is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Montague, California
“Yum!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I read several reviews of this place, and they were such a mixed bag we decided we needed to check it out for ourselves.

1) Yes, the food is pricey. It's fish. Fish is pricey.

2) We thought it was yummy. Mom had the Fishwife's Stew. It isn't cioppino, so the broth isn't the same as cioppino. But it was LOADED with seafood... crab, oysters, clams, scallops, prawns, shrimp. I had fish and chips. It was a single flat piece of fish coated in panko and fried. It was tasty and very flakey. It fell apart and was neigh on impossible to eat, even with a fork. I was disappointed that there wasn't more, but I am a bottomless fish and chips pit. For the price, even though it is fish, and even if the panko came from Japan, I felt there should have been more fish.

3) Yes, it is loud. It's a tall metal and glass building with a concrete floor. It echos. The upside of that: you could hear the people at your table, but the folks at the other tables were unintelligible. We have had to endure some pretty inane conversations from nearby tables at other restaurants, so this was a definite plus. Also, because it is a tall metal and glass building with a concrete floor, I was concerned about being cold. Not to worry. They have a heater hanging over you. Toasty.

It is nice to have a view of the marina and boat activity and the Newport bridge while you're eating. Our server, Ellen, was very attentive even though the place was packed (and it was a Sunday evening). We enjoyed their tasty selection of loose leaf teas - a real treat! We will definitely be eating there again.

Owasso, Oklahoma
“Good seafood”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I heard much about this spot, so we tried it out. Very fresh seafood. I had the Fisherwive's Stew. Good but not great if you're used to having really good Cioppino. The broth was not thick and rich like I prefer and had lots of tomatoes and celery, which I'm sure most folks are fine with. Just my personal preference and not a slam on Local Ocean. I just like thick, rich marinara broth with my seafood stews (Cioppino). Nice portions of seafood but mostly fin fish. My wife had the rockfish wraps and enjoyed it. I also ate the black cod---very good!

Visited January 2013
Seattle, Washington
“I Always Have Lunch Here When in Newport”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've eaten at Local Ocean several times over the years, and it never disappoints. For lunch yesterday, I had a cup of the roasted garlic and dungeness crab soup, and the rockfish Italiano sandwich. The soup was served piping hot, had a generous amount of crab, and was served with a small sprig of fresh dill on top. Yesterday's wasn't quite as garlicky as I remember it being in the past. The sandwich was a grilled panko breaded rockfish fillet, topped with salami, perpperoni, diced pepperoncinis, and mozzarella, served on a toasted hoagy bun, served with thick, crunchy French fries that aren't smothered in salt like most places. All was wonderful, though the fish could have been grilled with slightly less oil for my taste. The whole meal came to $20.50. The place was crowded (as usual) and I had to wait for fifteen minutes for a place at the counter (where you can watch the cooks at work), but it was well worth it. Highly recommended!

Eugene, Oregon
“Worth the Wait”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Excellent sea food, seasoned and cooked so well you could taste its freshness. Comfortable, fun atomoshpere with attentive staff.

Eugene, Oregon, United States
“Crab sandwiches are GREAT”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you happen to choose the crab sanwiches, I recommend adding the bacon! Our server Emily (a Gem) joked that everything is better with bacon and she was right! They had one of my favorite wines and recommended La Maison Cafe for breakfast. We were so pleased with this place we went back the next night and ordered the same thing!

Visited January 2013