“Beautiful and fun!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Moolack Shores Motel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Pendleton, Oregon, United States
“Beautiful and fun!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked the room about a month in advance, which worked great for us; we got the room of our choice, which was the Hawaiian room. We (my boyfriend and I) stayed here in mid-March, around St. Patrick's Day, I believe.
We arrived there mid day and parked in the empty parking lot, which was loose gravel, so I had to give it a little gas when we backed out. We went inside the office area, a very small space on our side of the counter; the other people wanting to check in had to wait outside. Yvette was the name of the woman who greeted us. She was very friendly, as she checked us in and gave us a verbal tour of the place, explaining how to get down to the beach and where our room was, in addition to the guest wash room and what have ya.
We went to our room which was on the northern corner of the motel, and it was lovely. Everything was decorated wonderfully and had a very homey feeling. It wasn't matching and flawless like many hotels. Instead, it was much more like staying in someone's home. A clean home, mind you. As we went around the corner to where the bed was, I was blown away by the view. I had seen the pictures and done the little virtual tour on their website, but I didn't think we would be THAT close to the water. Simply amazing!
We stayed for two nights and both were very comfortable. The sink in the kitchen had a hard time draining, but we didn't use it much anyway. Rather than bothering them in the night, I just left a note for them to take care of it when they cleaned the room while we were out and about.
The room was quiet, we didn't hear any neighbors but that was probably because I had the door open 90% of the time. Hearing the ocean from my bed was wonderful!
The ONLY thing I didn't like about the place was that when cars went down the street at night, their lights shone through the window, and reflected off of the window facing the ocean, making it look as though there were lights coming from the water. It caught my eye several times, so finally I closed the curtain. The parking lot was very crowded towards the end of the evening, so watch your doors!
Overall, the staff was friendly, the room was homey and clean to my standards, and the view was phenomenal! I am going to be staying here again this October in the Nautical room. It doesn't face the ocean, which is a bummer, but the theme is awesome.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that there is no breakfast served, but several of the rooms are suites or mini suites a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kenna D

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

You need to get a reservation well in advance---they have a lot of regulars that are return clients. You really have to stay in one of their rooms to appreciate the different themes and it is easy to use their stairs to get to the beach and the tide pools. Very clean and comfortable with owners that are great hosts.

Room Tip: Look at their theme rooms on their website to decide which room will give you the most pleasure.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ballhawg
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Themed rooms. Website has pics of them, but they're better than pictured. 3 miles north of Newport, this particular stretch of beach is only accessible from a few places, so you have the beach pretty much to yourself. The views from the rooms are awesome. Very relaxing place to stay, great owners, completely gracious and a great deal. Destination stay, cheaper places in town.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank firstlish
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just got back from a two night stay in the Antique Room and I liked this place very much. It does not allow pets and that is a big plus for me as we usually travel to the Coast with our dogs and on that rare occasion when we do not take them a place that clearly reflects a lack of pet habitation is much appreciated. The hotel is also not really appropriate for young children, more of a quiet adult couples atmosphere, another plus for an old curmudgeon like me!

As previous posters have noted, the enviornment is not sterile; but if you're looking for a reasonably priced and clean place in a great location with genuinely friendly onsite owner/managers, then this place is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Spring for an oceanfront room. It really is as close to the beach as you can get.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blacklab1601
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed March 3, 2013

If I were submitting this review based on location, I would give it an excellent; if based only on quality and cleanliness of the rooms, I would rate it poor. My husband and I enjoy staying in places which allow us to do our own cooking which our unit had and that is a plus. We also do not mind staying in places which don't have the latest and greatest in modern improvements and upgrades. The problem with our room at Moolack was it needed a really good cleaning and some fresh paint. The "stuff" hanging from the ceilings and walls had cobwebs and was covered in dust, the bathroom fixtures had seen better days and the furniture needed a good vacuuming at the very least. We stayed in the Oregon unit, I do not know what condition the other units may be in. The prices were very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This visit, the place was definitely in need of a paint job. It's lookkng a bit on the run down side. I was in the Nautical room. If you are over 5'10", don't stay in that room. You'll never make it down the stairs without bonking your head....three times. The view from the room is nice, but the rooms that actually face the beach are much nicer. If you are looking for a place that is as sterile as a hospital....this is not the place for you. At the Moolack you're basically staying in a furnished apartment. Any breakfast is one that you make. Ditto with Lunch and Dinner. That was just fine by me! The place is very quiet (except for the upstairs toilet). The beach access is great. Don't bring kids to this place...it's more of an adult get-away. Everytime I've been there the rooms were clean. You're only 7 minutes from Newport. In the fuiture, I'll avoid Room #8. And If I'm in the room above it, I'll think I'm sorry everytime I flush the toilet. The Oregon room is TOPS!

Room Tip: The Oregon room is Tops!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in the Antique Room for a two nights. The room was very comfortable and cozy. The owners have obviously put a lot of time and thought into decorating each room.
The room was small but had everything we needed. Two comfortable chairs for reading, a big tv (though we never turned it on) an electric fireplace, a coffee maker with nice mugs, refrigerator, and microwave.
There was deck overlooking the ocean right outside the back door which was perfect for drinking coffee in the morning and sipping a glass of wine in the evening. There were decks on either side of us with only the railing separating them. There were occasionally other people on their respective decks, we were fine with that as everyone was kind and respectful. If you want exclusive privacy it might not be for you.
The access to the beach was great.
We would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family