“BEWARE - Ruined my birthday/vacation stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Moolack Shores Motel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Union, Oregon
“BEWARE - Ruined my birthday/vacation stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

My husband and I wanted to go to the beach for a special birthday/vacation few days. I booked this motel over a month in advance. We picked a 2 room suite right on the beach. About 2 weeks before our reservation I called to cancel and change the date as we couldn't get a babysitter for our animals, horses, cats, etc. I changed the date to another 3 weeks out and reserved the same room. I got a babysitter for the animals and got the days off work. About a week before our scheduled date I desided to call (I'm not sure why, I just had an uneasy feeling) and verify that they indeed did cancel my initial reservation and that we were still on for our new date. Yes, they confirmed that they had cancelled our initial reservation but they didn't have any reservation for our new date. They had booked the room to someone else a week prior this call. They wouldn't admit to their mistake and offered us a room, not on the beach. What if I hadn't called to verify the reservation and would have showed up on our reservation date? I can't tell you how disappointed we are and it has ruined our birthday/vacation plans. Needless to say we are not going to stay there. Will look for another place. They seem to be very unorganized. I would suggest if you choose to stay here that you double and triple check that indeed they are holding a room for you. Thanks Moolack Shores.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank DaBride

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Antioch, Tennessee
Reviewed December 23, 2010

My wife and I have been coming to this wonderful piece of paradise for seven years now. We have stayed in 5 different rooms and just loved them all. Each theme is quite surprising and a joy to experience It is quiet, clean, and the staff are so helpful and knowldgeable about the area. Just one comment about the guy from Montana, if they are so unfriendly, why would they refer you to their strongest compitetion? It seems they wanted you to enjoy your stay in Newport to us. Anyway, the view, the beach, the food in town, what a wonderful life! Happy Holidays!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I reserved our room a couple of months in advance. We specifically wanted a room that faced the ocean and we did get a room that faced the ocean. We were placed in the Camelot room. Our view was amazing. Even with the sliding door closed you could hear the waves. Awesome. We slept the first night with the slider open because the ocean air was just so refreshing and we love the sound of the waves.

There are a few things about this motel though that I have to take exception with.

Our room wasn't the cleanest room. I thought at first it's because the Camelot room is dark, but it's just not that. It needed some more attention to detail. I will admit that I am very particular about cleanliness, etc. so I'm trying to filter my expectations through more reasonable eyes. However, there are just some things I can't ignore, i.e., dirt/grime on the heater covers, dirty blinds, dirty light switches, stained linens, dirty medicine cabinet.

I'm one of those people that the first thing I do is check for bed bugs. No bed bugs in our room. Hurray! Second, I wipe down the remote, the light switches, doorknobs, etc. I forgot my Clorox wipes so I had to use a wash cloth and the dish soap they provided in the room. I wiped down smudges and dirt from light switches that the maid should have caught.

My husband and I typically won't sleep with hotel bed covers because well, those typically don't get washed. If they appear clean, we'll usually sleep with the blanket and not the bedspread. Our room was advertised to have a velvet bedspread. We did not have a velvet bedspread. We had a bedspread and matching pillow shams that looked as if they'd come out of a thrift store. They were pilled up and stained. I went to remove the pillow shams and there was a brownish stain on the back of one sham. The sham cover moved and the pillow was stained that yellowish stain pillows get when they are old and/or something has spilled on them.

We stuck the pillow shams up on the shelf and had the motel staff remove the bedspread and blanket the next day. Thankfully we brought afghans to use while we sat out on the deck and we slept with those as covers.

The bed covers may have been clean, however if something is stained, it needs to be removed and replaced. No one wants to see or sleep with a stain.

We were provided a quick lighting log to burn every night. This was a nice feature, however our logs would never light. They were so damp we soon came to the belief that they were probably stored in an outside storage unit where they absorbed moisture.

The bathroom sink leaked out onto the bathroom floor. We did tell management about it after our first night and they said they'd send maintenance. We never had the leak again, so it was fixed, however the carpet outside the bathroom had a stain so it appeared that this plumbing had leaked before.

My husband was convinced the toilet was made for a leprachaun. He's 6' and his knees were quaking as he would sit down on the toilet. It was quite short and he had to sit sideways in order to fully sit down (TMI, I know, but I'm trying to paint a picture here!). The shower was tight and wouldn't shut at the bottom, therefore the floor would get soaking wet. We could get it to shut (sometimes) if one of us pushed hard with our foot against the shower door while the other one was inside the stall.

The medicine cabinet had someone's toothpaste and tooth brush (obviously the previous occupants forgot it). I tossed those out. There was toothpaste "mess" on the door of the medicine cabinet. That made me gag a little.

The walls were scuffed and there were cobwebs in some spots. Maybe other rooms are cleaner. Like I said, this room is dark (because of the exposed wood and the theme) so maybe it's difficult to see all the bug-a-boo's in the room?

The room offered a king size bed, which is nice. The bed was a little too soft for us, but it was okay. We had a microwave (we didn't use it) and a mini-frig (nice to have). The sign above the kitchen area said to wash your own glasses before you leave. There was dish soap and a sponge in the medicine cabinet. For $115 a night, I don't think I should have to wash out my own glasses.

The view was incredible. We saw sea lions playing outside our room. We walked on the beach and enjoyed the stair access the motel offered. They have videos (only VHS) to use for free, which was a nice feature. We selected three videos, but could only watch one. The other two were old and warped and wouldn't track.

Would we stay here again? I don't know. I'd like to try another room. I love the location - close enough to Newport to be convenient, but not in the heart of Newport with all the tourists.

As I'm finishing up this review I see I'm supposed to select "would you recommend this hotel to a friend". I wish there were a "maybe" option. I guess I'd say "yes" for the location, view, deck and beach access and "no" for the room quality.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EricaLyn
Anaconda
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Called the night before leaving Montana, for a reservation, three days in advance. We spent two days at Moolack Shores in 2009 and had a great time with our grandson, in the Light House room and wanted to return this year. We left our phone number as requested. As we traveled to Oregon, at about noon we called requesting a reservation for three, two adults and one child, age 12. We were told they had no rooms available for the time we requested. They suggested to try The Elizabeth Inn, which we made reservations. We could understand if there were no rooms available. But about two hours later, that same day, Moolack Shores called our cell phone about filling our reservation. And while in Newport area, we noted that Moolack Shores had vacancies. Not allowing children, is this not discrimination and against the law. Very disappointed. Will look for a more friendly motel next year. Did like our stay at Elizabeth Inn.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CindySanders1969
Henderson, nv
Reviewed September 1, 2010

My wife and I arrived very late which was no problem for Moolack Shores. They left our door unlocked and our keys on the table. It was midnight but we couldn't resist checking out the view from our deck. There was a beautiful moon shining on the water just below us and the lighthouse off in the distance. We just knew it was going to be a great stay. We checked in with no problem the next morning. We were told where the ice machine was and where we could get movies to watch with the VCRs in the room. We did take advantage of the movies each night. Probably time to upgrade to DVD players in the rooms, but that's a minor thing. There were binoculars in the room so you can enjoy the view and look for sea critters. Location was close to Newport and we had a wonderful day there in the shops and having lunch on a deck overlooking the Sea Lions and watching the boats go in and out of the bay. Can go on and on. Trying to figure out how to get back up there. Loved it. Wish the place was completely smoke free though. Did feel a like we couldn't use our deck as much as we liked because our neighbor was out on his deck a lot smoking. Nothing obnoxious...just smoke. Also needed a baking sheet in the otherwise well stocked kitchen. Even found a wireless internet connection which they don't tell you about. Oh, we had the Oregon Room which was a suite with a great view.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Lyle, Washington
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I had called on Monday before we went down to reserve a full ocean view room. I had researched this very carefully before driving six hours to the coast. At the time I reserved the room, I was told we would have the 'Antique' room which has the view I had very specially asked for. Drove all the way down there and was told we had the Aviator room which was in the corner with hardly no view. I asked about this and was told (quite rudely) that is what I had booked. I pointed out on the sign up card that the room number had been erased and changed. I asked about it and was told take it or leave it! They were very rude, angry people to deal with. Plus, my credit card had had been already charged and it tied up my card all week-end!! I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank mack2163
Washington State
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Conveniently located between Newport or Depoe Bay within minutes to either town. Staff was great, took us to see the room before we decided to stay. It was clean and comfortable and most important the Bed was comfortable and provided a goods night sleep. We stayed in the Aviators room, which had a deck and nice ocean view. We did not sleep with the slider or window open and could still hear the ocean. And just a few rooms down we’re the stairs to the Beach probably the best constructed stirs I’ve used to get down to a beach ever with only a couple flights and a small deck with bench area in between, I hate stairs and had no problem with these. The Beach area has character, there is plenty of sandy areas with also some out cropping of rocks for tide pooling and a nice view of Yaquina Head Lighthouse. Overall found it to be a great find, its not the hilton but I'd stay here over a hotel in town any day. (Age 45+)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple