“Augh!”

Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Was very excited walking in, staff was wonderful Seated quickly. Nice and clean, great decor a true flash back. Fun to be in. And, Then The Food Came. Yuck! Our daughter was dying for Clam chowder, tasted like the can it more than likely came from. Hubby got a burger and it didn't look like any kind of meat we have ever seen. I got a calsone, OMG!!! This was huge. Could have fed 4 people, until you cut it open and discover that it is 90% bread and 10% fillings. Probuly a OK place for ice cream goodies or soda, not a place we will ever go to again for food.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I must say. Flashbacks in Newport, not South Beach, is different in some ways and not in others when it comes to fifties styles restaurants. The decor is there even though the place seems bare in places. Not being busy may have had contributed to that. The jukebox was there. Having a game room and ice cream parlor I haven't seen much, but that is plus for the younger set. The menu is what you expect, but they have other things like pizza too. The super dip that I ordered was quite good. Better than what I expected.. The au jus had more flavor than some places I've been to. It complemented the meat and cheese like it should. The fries were good too. Getting bubble gum with the check is an interesting touch. Service was fine and no one played the jukebox so it made for a quiet dinner. Fun little place in Newport to have dinner.

2  Thank Rainier72
Reviewed August 30, 2012

A simple cheese pizza was almost $20! And $6.50 for 4 scoops of ice cream. Everything on their menu is almost double what it should be. We ran over here since it was right next to our hotel to find something to eat quickly, but had to run across the street to mcdonalds instead.

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Very slow and poor service. I get the 50's diner theme, but the music is so loud you can barely have a conversation. It's a good place to take a noisy bunch of kids but not an enjoyable meal for adults or quiet families. The milk shake was good and my salad was fresh but it didn't make up for the unpleasant employees and annoying atmosphere. Might try take out or a shake to go, but won't dine in again.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Just to note- a couple months ago, Flashbacks moved from South Beach north up Hwy. 101 into Newport- Trip Advisor has the street address correct, but not the city. It's now located about 3 blocks south of Fred Meyer, on the opposite side of the street.
This is a favorite place of my teens, we eat here whenever we are in Newport. I love a place with some personality and atmosphere, and Flashbacks with its' 50's flair fits the bill nicely. The fare is what you would expect from a casual kid-friendly place back then- lots of burgers, chicken,etc and of course huge milkshakes in any of the flavors that are on display up at the front ice cream counter, where you can also get them in a cone. Warning- they have some very unique ice cream flavors, which make deciding on one a challenge! Tyler was an upbeat, friendly, efficient waiter, who acted as though he really enjoyed his job and the interaction with the customers. The young gal at the counter was sweet. All of us felt our meals were very good, we had no complaints with either the portion sizes, (except that I felt they could have served a larger portion of onion rings) or the quality or taste. My kids loved the cheesy fries with its' oozy cheese melted over the top, which I included in one of the meal pics. Excellent grilled cheese, too. The playing juke box was a fun touch, as well as the arcade room. There is lots to look at on all the walls. The place was fairly busy for early in the week, which provides testimony to it's local popularity.
I would recommend Flashbacks as an inexpensive place to take the kids while on vacation, they will enjoy it, and the good ol' burger, fries and shake will be fun for you, too.

1  Thank Makelifefun