“GREAT FRESH SEAFOOD - not fried”

Sharks Seafood Bar & Steamer
Ranked #2 of 117 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays ! Casual & cozy mom & pop seafood restaurant est. 1995. Healthy, non-fried, perfectly cooked seafood. Prepared in unique steam kettles. Known especially for our tasty Cioppino and Seafood Entrees. "Finest Steamed Seafood on the West Coast" Fish & crab entrees, gumbo, curry. Fresh Oysters, crab, shrimp, clams, salads. Gluten free choices. Beer, wine & cocktails. Dinner only, hours vary by season, Chk our website or FB for current info. Enjoy our historic Newport Bayfront.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Last Saturday, we decided that on Sunday we would drive to Shark's for dinner. Now that might seem like crazy planning, but we live easily 4 hours away (if the traffic is good) and Shark's is our favorite restaurant for seafood.. so when the craving hits we have to plan a little ahead. We arrived Sunday around 6pm and sat at the back bar (you must sit at the back bar at least during your first visit) and watched "Corky" prepare the meals. He was cooking up a storm for a nice party of 8 that had arrived earlier (most of them had ordered (my favorite) the Cioppino, but some ordered the fresh halibut. We found out that the halibut had been delivered fresh and whole the afternoon before right out of the ocean and hand-cut by Corky that evening. Shark's "cooking system" is quite unique -- somehow with just 6 "pots" the small crew managed to quickly prepare appetizers, salads, slices of bread, drinks and meals for the large group -- along with several other smaller groups that had also arrived before us. We started out with a Martini and a Bloody Mary (her's are crazily good), and then we shared 22oz of Steamed Clams, a Shrimp Cocktail, I had the Cioppino, and Ken had the Shrimp Pan Roast. Everything was wonderful. ... not only for us, but for the other groups in the room were obviously thrilled with the meals they had received ... and there were four groups waiting to move in as soon as tables and the bar opened up. Shark's uses the freshest seafood they can get from the water ...and they probably have to pay top dollar for the quality and freshness we saw and enjoyed on the plates. We highly recommend Shark's.

1  Thank Judy G

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Great service and the food was so delicious it blew us away. Garlic linguine, seafood marinara and cioppino. Some of the best dishes we've ever eaten.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stopped by this restaurant on our way to Portland. The oysters and clams were so fresh and delicious! The fresh steamed Halibut melted in your mouth and was accompanied by a fresh salad with fresh fruit. This meal is going to be hard to beat.The service was fantastic!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate here tonight at the recommendation of the hotel clerk. We almost past by without seeing it - it's a small place that doesn't look like much. When I rate the atmosphere '5' it's because it's like eating in your best friend's kitchen. We sat at the back bar and watched our dinner being made. The cioppino was fantastic as was the Dungeness crab. Yes, it was expensive, but we almost couldn't finish the huge portions and they were well worth it. And the staff was so friendly. Another way you could tell it was good was that most of the other people eating there were locals. We only wish we were staying here longer so we could go back again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Well visiting a friend in Portland we decided to drive out to the coast for a couple of days so before we left my mom asked a local at the Starbuck's where we should eat and she recommended Shark's. Our first night in Newport we decided to eat there and man am I glad we did! The atmosphere is cute and cozy and the staff is super friendly. We sat at the bar so we were able to watch our food being prepared. I had the Crab entree and my mom and son had the Ciopinno Super Bowls plus we shared some steamed clams. The crab meat was so fresh and the salad and steamed veggies that came with it were very good and even though I was stuffed after eating I did not feel sick as I do when eating a bunch of fried seafood or fish. The steamed clams are a must and make sure to use the fresh bread they serve to soak up the yummy garlic sauce they are served in. The Caioppino sauce was very good and the bowl came with shrimp, fish, crab and pasta in it so it will feel you up. If you love the Cioppino sauce you may also order it online. I highly recommend Shark's and if you are in Newport it is a must try!!