“You MUST eat here!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

In a 7 night stay in the area, April's at Nye Beach is the only restaurant we went back to for a second meal. Wonderful interior, cozy atmosphere (and I am not implying crowded) and excellent staff. This establishment had the most refined menu of any restaurant we visited. For appetizers, the Caprini con Pumate and the Smoked Trout plate were two of the best appetizers we have ever eaten. April's has a farm in nearby Toledo where they grow their own produce and the freshness of these items adds undeniable quality to the food. For entrees, the Duck Breast was the best I have ever experienced. The Chicken Piccata, the steak with Gorgonzola butter, and the Salmon with Thai curry sauce were all fantastic. Prices are extremely reasonable for the value received. Make a reservation now.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

April's is a 15-year-old fixture in the Nye Beach neighborhood of Newport, located directly across the street from the famous Sylvia Beach Hotel. It is a small, intimate restaurant, but manages to provide a varied menu selection, duck, chicken, beef, pasta dishes, and specials based on the day's local catch from the Pacific Ocean and Yaquina Bay.

We shared a salad with greens, hazelnuts, and fresh beets. I enjoyed it because the sweetness of the beets was balanced by a vinegar dressing, but my wife found the vinegar a bit too much. For her main course, she had fresh sole piccata served on basmati rice and greens with vegetables. It was delicious. I had wild salmon in a mildly spicy Thai chili sauce, also with greens and basmati. It was also excellent, although the salmon was cooked through a bit more than I prefer it it, but not to the point of toughness.

The server was informative and attentive. The sound level is low, blessedly absent of backgound music. There was no effort to rush us or turn tables.

Our one mistake was to bring in our own wine. Don't do it! The wine list is surprisingly extensive for a restaurant of this size, drawn from many of the Northwest's leading wineries and priced at levels one would find in a retail store, rather than a multiple of the wholesale price. A 2010 Ken Wright pinot noir was priced at $3 less than our local retailer prices the 2011! Paying the modest corkage actually put our wine above what we would have paid by simply ordering off the menu. The server told us the owner prefers to price his wine at levels that make it approachable to those who come there for the food.

In every other way, April's represents great value for what is clearly the best premier restaurant in Nye Beach.

3  Thank pdx_photoman
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner so much the first night, we went back the next night. Excellent Caesar salad, duck breast, scallops, bread and dipping oil. Service excellent too, attentive but didn't hover.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

It had been a long time since we had eaten at April's so we took some friends. I must say I had the best meal I have had in a long time. I had roasted duck that just melted in your mouth. It will not be long before I return.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Recommend reservations especially on weekends. Nice menu and artfully prepared. Pleasant staff. Casual atmosphere combined with fine dining.