“Surprising jewel”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We loved April's and so did others as we had a little trouble getting a reservation. Still, we both had the wonderfully fresh seafood - and dessert - oh wow - a giant profiterole for two!

There are newer reviews for April's at Nye Beach

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Most restaurants in the Newport/Waldport/Yachats area are okay but nothing to get excited about. That's why our experience at April's stood out from the others during this year's 15 day Oregon coast vacation. The wine selection was top notch, the ingredients in everything from our soup and salad to our dinner entrees (I had the fish special, husband had surf and turf--steak and oysters) were fresh, top quality and well prepared. The one downfall was my dessert-a chocolate eclair which was definitely too much dessert for one person, and the hard chocolate shell contrasted with the whipped cream filling in a way that wasn't a pleasing blend of textures--a letdown there. Still, the lovely white table cloths, friendly and efficient wait staff, great starters and entrees make this a definite if you want an experience that stands out from the others in the area. Tip: Call ahead for a reservation, especially during summer. We called for a reservation 24 hours in advance and were glad we did. We watched as walk-ins were turned away during our 90 minute stay in the full restaurant- and that was on a Wednesday night.

1  Thank M H
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I don't have a single specific complaint about this restaurant, and I really enjoyed their salad made with organic vegetables gown on their own farm. However overall I found the place did not live up to the considerable hype. Having seen that most reviews were either "Very Good" or even "Excellent" I went in with pretty big expectations.

Maybe it's not fair to compare restaurants on the coast with places in Portland or Seattle but even when comparing to another smaller Oregon city (Hood River) I don't think April's stands out for me. The food is Italian-influenced but not typical of any authentic regional Italian food.

Ingredients were all high quality, preparation and service were also good, but in the end I left this place feeling like I could cook the same dishes at home just as good, which is not what I normally look for in a restaurant.

1  Thank egon61
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This a real nice restaurant. Food is reasonably priced for an upscale eatery. I would recommend it to anyone. My only complaint, and it is a general complaint, is that a dinner portion of sea scallops should be 4, instead of 3. This is not just
specific to April's. My wife's meal, as were the other members of our group, were all excellent. Service was prompt, personable, and accurate.

1  Thank 50StatesBy50
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have dined (dinner only) at April's several times over the past 8 years and it is always a "must" when we visit the Newport area. Last evening,chicken piccata was specially prepared for my severely allergic spouse while I enjoyed sea scallops. We find the setting inviting but know that this is a very small restaurant and reservations are highly recommended. There are limited wines by the glass and a decent selection by the bottle. The "sweedish cream" was on the desert menu, in a word, superb. The service was prompt and attentive. We don't think you can go wrong dining at April's.

1  Thank CraigAnd