“Not impressed. ”

Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Started 70 years ago Mo's proud tradition brings you the best and freshest Oregon seafoods... unique, informal and friendly style at modest prices! Whether you want a complete seafood lunch or dinner... or just stop by for homebaked desserts, the welcome mat is always out at Mo's! Visit us soon... and visit us often... the friendliest place to meet and greet your friends. Serving NW seafood and the best chowder on the Oregon Coast. Everybody knows ya gotta go to Mo's!
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I've been to a lot of the Mo's restaurants in Oregon. The last time I went was a couple of years ago and the food was awesome. We were very disappointed in the quality of food today. It was very bland. The only thing good was the calamari. It was fresh and crispy with excellent dipping sauces. Their "world famous" clam chowder was runny and bland. We added salt and a lot of pepped just to make it tasty. I ordered the hot shrimp sandwich which was also bland. The mini shrimp had no taste even with cheese on it. I only ate 1:2 of my sandwich. My husband had the clam sandwich which he thought was ok but was better years ago. Service was good but overall very disappointed with the food. Quality is no longer there. I wish we would of skipped Mo's and went to another restaurant recommended by Trip Advisor.
Seafood is better at the coast but in this case NO! We will not be back to Mo's. There are too many other restaurants in Newport that received 4/5 stars on TA.

1  Thank Soiled

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

The service was sluggish and clunky from the start, and only got worse. The chowder was mediocre, the oyster stew was flavorless and arrived lukewarm. The homemade bread was dry and insubstantial. I wanted to give the waitress the opportunity to get us some new oyster stew or heat it up, but she was nowhere to be found for the next 7-10 minutes after dropping off my food. There were four employees working the front of house but I never saw more than one working at once, and none of them seemed interested in being there. Kids were screaming, and no music was playing. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY in the place looked pleased with their experience. It was a really big disappointment and i will never go again.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Depending on the time of day / month / season, there may be a wait, but well worth it. I live here, and it is the first "go to" place for all our visitors.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Well, when strolling down Newport and craving chowder, seeing a sign that says "THE BEST CHOWDER" is just what I wanted. My boyfriend and I came in, and there was no hostess. The place was not that busy, and there were 3 other couples waiting for a table. 15 minutes later when the hostess finally came, he ignored us and seated the 3 couples, and then people who entered after us. 25 minutes later, we were sat.

The only redeeming quality about this restaurant was our server. I don't know her name, but she was younger and had short brown hair. She was kind and attentive. Quickly, we ordered two of the chowders in bread bowls. While sitting there, the two other servers on the floor (who I believe are possibly the children of the manager or owners) sat and talked to friends who had come in. In that time, other couples had come in and experienced the same terrible service we had.

When the chowder came, I was far from impressed. The "best" chowder? Far from it. Tasted overcooked and like it came from a can. So overcooked that it seemed mashed potatoes with chewy clams. It took a lot of pepper and salt to make it have some flavor.

Once again, the ONLY redeeming quality was our server. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend Mo's to anyone. And after talking to a few locals, they had nothing but the same to say.

1  Thank Krystina J
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have NEVER in my life had enough clam chowder. I have never been able to get enough. I get the sourdough bread bowl, and I'm still craving it. SO, This time, I get the BUCKET of chowder, enough for a family, and I share some with my wife... and a plate of fish and chips, and... I'm in absolute heaven! I finally get ENOUGH of EXCELLENT CHowder. I miss All four Mo's while I'm back here in Iraq. the chowder here... KBR....SUCKS. They don't make it better than Mo's! Oh, I went back for dinner and had split the fish again! and had a bowl. YUM!