“disappointed and embarrassed”

Ranked #21 of 111 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Rogue Ales Public House, originally named the Bayfront Brewery, was established in May of 1989. Rogue brewed its Ales within the Bayfront Brewery until 1992, when "Howard", the 15 barrel brew system was carried across the Newport Bay to the current location. The old brewery was converted into a poolroom which the locals call the Crustacean Stacean. Outside seating and 35 taps
central oregon coast
“disappointed and embarrassed”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We're locals and had friends coming in from Portland and wanted to treat them to a taste of Newport. BIG MISTAKE! The service was S-L-O-W and our waitress treated us like we were totally inconveniencing her by being in her presence. She was very short with us, practically threw our items down on the table in a random order and never asked if we needed anything. They weren't even busy. It got really old having to look for her constantly to flag her down and inconvenience the poor girl again and again. Well excuse us for you having to work! At least you have a job. Not many people can say that anymore.

I've been sick all morning, can't say for sure if I got food poisoning or not, but I can say I won't be back to the Public House. I'm really bummed because my friends had a horrible time too.

2 Thank coastee

Newport, Oregon
“Yummy food, awesome beer”
Reviewed December 26, 2008

We, like all Newport locals, love the Rogue. Excellent beer, and good food. A lot of food is made with Rogue beers, like the beer cheese soup and the bread that served alongside many meals. The location under the yaquina bay bridge is very kid friendly. However, the location on the bayfront is not. Even though it has a "nonsmoking section" smoke from the bar drifts throughout the entire place. The nonsmoking section is not really seperated from the smoking section at all. The food (and of course the beer) is the same and tastes totally consistent between both locations.

2 Thank ZoeZim
California
“I was impressed!”
Reviewed November 30, 2008

My wife and I just came back from our first trip to the Rouge Public House and boy were we pleased. Everything was excellent and exceeded our expectations. My wife had the Chipotle Chicken Pasta which was pretty spicy and flavorful, and I had the French Dip which was probably one of the best french dips I've ever had. For drinks my wife had the Honey Amber Ale (I think I have that name right) and I had the American Ale. We both preferred the Honey Amber, but the American Ale was good too, just a little more complex.

All in all the experience was a good one. Service was reasonable, although the place was only about a 1/4 of the way full. The only minor disappointment I had was with the prices. They seem just a bit high. Really it's not too bad, but slightly higher than I thought they should be (but I will admit,.. I'm cheap). For frame of reference, I paid about $33 (before tip) for two entrees and two beers. Anyways,.. it was a good meal. I'd gladly go back.

1 Thank eclipse785
Ohio
“You have to try the Turkey on a croissant”
Reviewed November 19, 2008

They make their own honey mustard and the turkey sandwich is to good to be true. I am not a mustard fan yet have often asked for extra to dip my chips in!! Their pear beer is also really good I am not a beer drinker and really like this one. I used to love going and relaxing after work with a group of people.

1 Thank NewportBornEmily
California
“Great”
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We visited the brewery with friends and our 2 year old. We had to wait in line for about 20 minutes even though there were 5 vacant tables in the restaurant. The waitress was not particularly friendly and not very attentive, but what made our visit great is that they had a play corner for little kids, and a really nice view on the harbor and the bridge. The food was really good. I can recommend the fish and chips and Kobe beef burgers. The beer was excellent. Overall it was a good experience.

1 Thank World_Traveler_Linus