“Not what it used to be”

Rogue Ales Bayfront Public House
Ranked #17 of 109 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Rogue Ales Public House, originally named the Bayfront Brewery, was established in May of 1989. Rogue brewed its Ales within the Bayfront Brewery until 1992, when "Howard", the 15 barrel brew system was carried across the Newport Bay to the current location. The old brewery was converted into a poolroom which the locals call the Crustacean Stacean. Outside seating and 35 taps
Newport, Oregon
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went in last night with my family for a quick weekday meal and couldn't believe it when my tab came to $65 with tip. The youngest had PB&J, oldest had Philly cheese steak, wife had a hummus appetizer dish with two beers and I had pork taco's with a beer.

The real disappointment was the pork tacos. $12 for a plate of shredded lettuce, shredded stale cheese, sour cream, salsa, a couple of small taco tortilla's and a few pieces of pork lost under the pile of lettuce. It would have been better called an appetizer dish at half the cost.

I’m a local and I've been here dozens of times over the years but last night was probably my last. The menu just doesn't have anything special, certainly nothing I would pay $12 for. I do like their beer though.

Woodland, Washington
“They have 2 locations in Newport OR”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I dont care for the old town brew pub, bad service and not the best food. The actual brewery on the other side of the harbor is really good, way better food and service. The server was very good at keeping my 5yr old son and his friend happy.

• Visited December 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Great food and beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was one of our favorite places to come great food and beer. The Ship captain crew pizza was the best we have ever had. Service was slow but the fod made up for it.

Corvallis, Oregon, United States
“Arrogant bartender and floury chowder.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Overall a weird and uncomfortable experience. It went something like this:

We visited on Monday, January 21 around 3 p.m. We sat at the bar, and were greeted with a gruff, "Are you guys 21?" We politely said yes, then after a getting a weird look from him, we asked if he would like to see our IDs (we're both 30 yrs. old, but will admit we look young). He said, "Well if you're going to offer..." He immediately poured us a "free taste" of Mogul Madness, which is a weird way to put it when you can always taste any beer at no charge. He gave us the tasters, then resumes his very loud conversation with the guy next to us. He had no interest in explaining any of the beers to us, so we just kind of sat there until he was done with his conversation. He then says, "Do you guys know what you want?" My husband orders a Dead Guy Ale (their most famous beer), and the bartender says they are out. Out? The brewery is right across the bay...go get some. As my husband put it, "That's like a Mexican restaurant being out of tortillas."

My husband quickly orders another beer but I said a had a couple questions about the beer. He did explain a few to me....then quickly said, "What kind of beer are you into?" I said I like a lot of different beers. He seem a little annoyed by this, so I just asked for a couple tastes and then decided on one. I understand that it might be annoying to explain so many different types of beers to each of you guests, but imagine how overwhelming it is to come to a bar where there were at least 20 different beer choices (all Rogue obviously), many of which I had not tried before, and some of the taps were not even labeled. They had a list of beers on a chalkboard tucked away to the side of the bar, barely within in eyesight. I think a sheet of paper or something that describes the beers available would be helpful, if the bartender is not going to offer any sort of beer knowledge at a micro-brewery tap room.

Then it came time for food. We were craving chowder so each of us ordered a bowl. When it came out, it looked like a bowl of white gravy. I took one bite and was overwhelmed by the taste of flour. The cook obviously did not make it properly by letting the flour cook out at least 20 minutes. I thought maybe at this point I was being overly critical, so I had a few more bites. It really had no flavor besides the taste of flour and lots of pepper. After a few more bites, my suspicions about the flour proved true when I bit down on a clump I thought was a potato, and instead was a giant clump of flour that burst in my mouth. I was pretty disgusted, so I left a half-eaten bowl of chowder there (which buy the way is $6).

We got the bill and the beers were also $6 each. So for two bowls of "chowder" and two pints, our total came to $24, plus tip.

Safe to say probably won't be going back.

Paradise California
“It take a while to get in but well worth it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is hard to find because you actually walk in through the brewery (very industrial) and up some stairs but once you get there it has lovely view of all the boats in the harbor. The hamburger (kobe beef) was excellent. We enjoyed the Irish Ale as well.

Visited January 2013