“Excellent lunch”

Ranked #6 of 111 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Saffron Salmon is perched on the end of a public pier with a panoramic bay view on Newport's Historic Bayfront. We showcase Northwest cuisine utilizing local and fresh ingredients. As sea life frolic outside the window, you will dine amidst contemporary art in this visually stunning eatery. A local's favorite, Saffron Salmon is a magical dining experience with its stunning view, great food, superb service and unique Northwest wine and beer selection.
Newberg, Oregon
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

When we're in Newport and it's lunchtime, we usually stick with one of a couple options. Yes, we're in a rut, but it's a most tasty -- and reliable -- rut.
This time I was craving a good burger, so it was off to Saffron Salmon. I usually choose one of their seafood items and can't recall ever trying their burgers. This visit, I ordered the Michael Burger -- a quarter-pound of juicy, flavorful ground beef (there's also a half-pound version) topped with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon and a cup of tangy-sweet barbecue sauce to "gild the lily. I also added red onion slices for an incredible taste treat. The side of thin, crispy fries was equally scrumptious.
My wife went for the fish-n-chips. Three large filets of panko-crusted cod, served with fries and an Asian-style cole slaw. Yummy and filling -- we actually took one filet with us and had it along with crab cakes for dinner that evening.
Unfortunately we were too stuffed for dessert. A couple at a neighboring table was enjoying a berry cobbler with ice cream that looked very enticing. The looks on their faces made it apparent that it tasted as good as it looked. Maybe next time!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank OregonJohn97338

Sacramento, California
“Anticipation does not pay off”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Up front, I want to say that I really WANTED to enjoy eating at The Saffron Salmon. The people working there are kind and friendly. And maybe there was just too much positive build up from other glowing Tripadvisor reviews…but I found our experience at this establishment to be something of a let down.
We ate here on New Years eve and with reservations, were seated 10 -15 minutes after arrival as all tables were still full. There were 3 - 4 specials on the menu, but nothing particularly enticing. Also, they have only a beer/wine license, so no mixed drinks. Not a BIG deal, but being unfamiliar with Oregon wines, and no descriptions on the wine list, I felt uncomfortable ordering wine, and our server seemed harried, so I didn't take up her time with a quiz.
My husband had two local beers, while I opted for Pellegrino Aranciata, which you don't find on a lot of menus, so I was pleased to have something a little different on NYE.
I started with a Oregon Pink Shrimp cocktail, while my husband had Caesar Salad. He said it was spot-on perfect, presented with three full anchovies as a garnish on top. My shrimp cocktail was nicely presented as well, on ice, in a classic chilling glass. Very good.
We both selected the Wild Salmon which again, was presented beautifully. I'm not currently eating lots of carbs (saving myself for dessert!) and asked for optional sides (asian slaw and sautéed veggies) and was kindly accommodated. My hubby had whipped potatoes (I tried a bite and they WERE good) with the same veggies. The chef recommends a medium rare presentation on the salmon, which is not to my liking, though very fashionable at the moment. I asked for medium, and that's what I got.
I notice that many people rave about the preparation of the salmon here, but I found it to be OVER seasoned, overwhelming the flavor of the wild fish. A shame. This seasoning issue seems to be something of a trend as well (and I LIKE flavor) or perhaps it has something to do with the palate of the chef. I don't know, but I literally had to turn my fish over and eat from the bottom to avoid the strong seasonings on top. I could not finish the ample portion. My husband, who has a spicier palate than I, felt it was over seasoned as well.
The slaw was bitter instead of piquant, and the vegetables were flavorful, colorful and tasty.
We both chose bread pudding for dessert, which was quite dry and overly redolent of cinnamon, without many other flavor notes. A few raisins and bits of apple. Not worth the expense. No presentation at all.
I've tried to be honest here about the meal without being unkind, and I hope I've achieved that goal. All of this might have been more lightly presented if the service had been more attentive. Our server was sweet but seemed preoccupied. She did not ask if I wanted a second beverage and my husband had to request a second beer. We had to ask about coffee with dessert. In a fine dining establishment, these issues should not arise. Also, you have to PAY for bread and butter ($3) which I find absurd! I knew it was going to be somewhat casual as there were no linens on the tables, but our bill came out just over $100 and I expect a certain level of service at that cost point.
Overall, it was not a fine evening of dining on a special holiday. I'll try another fine dining establishment next time we're visiting Newport. If the owners happen across this review, I hope they accept the critique with an eye toward improvement. I wish them all the best.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mystralle
“Very nice but......”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I saw the TA reviews and liked the look of this place when we scouted it out so reserved a table for our last night in Newport. The restaurant is not large but is situated over the water in Yaquina Bay -- would be great to be there when all the fishing boats are returning. The staff we encountered were very friendly and welcoming. We ordered simple appetizers and were not disappointed. The only negative part of our experience here was that I was not close to finishing my appetizer when my entree arrived -- probably a good 10 minutes earlier than it should have come. I was forced to eat the hot entree and finish off the cold appetizer later. Not sure who messed up. The mussels entree was delicious with a delicate soup like sauce and tiny wonderful chips. We'll give this place another try next time we come to Newport.

• Visited December 2013
Friday Harbor, Washington
“wedding dinner”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

"wonderful" food in an unpretentious waterfront location. Dinner for four, two bottles of wine and a nice tip for $200.00. Worth every penny and from an old man who eats on senior discount at Taco Time in Bellevue, Washington!

Visited December 2013
Oregon
“Good food - limited menu”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

A small upscale restaurant overlooking the bay. Nice view but a very limited menu. Another place where meals are more about presentation than portion. Expensive for the amount of food you get. Good was tasty but I felt it was overpriced. Certainly not a place to take the kids!

Visited March 2013