“Over priced and disappointing!!”
Review of Saffron Salmon

Saffron Salmon
Ranked #6 of 115 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Saffron Salmon is perched on the end of a public pier with a panoramic bay view on Newport's Historic Bayfront. We showcase Northwest cuisine utilizing local and fresh ingredients. As sea life frolic outside the window, you will dine amidst contemporary art in this visually stunning eatery. A local's favorite, Saffron Salmon is a magical dining experience with its stunning view, great food, superb service and unique Northwest wine and beer selection.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Thursday Oct 11,2012. We didn't need reservations! Only two other tables were occupied when we arrived at 7:00, 15 minutes before our reservation. The food was fresh, OVER PRICED and disappointing in flavor. I had the oysters. All I could taste was the butter they were cook in. They would have had a more pleasing flavor had they used a blend of oil & butter. My Spicy Seafood Stew was O.K. but not great and very disappointing at $25. The service was Bangy Plate, slow and unprofessional. I had to get up a ask a server to please remove some of our used plates. She dropped the flatware when clearing the plates. The service needs some instruction on correct table service. If you want a ice atmosphere and great view of the bay this is a what you get.

1  Thank Rose-Johnson

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I decided to try Saffron Salmon based on all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. It did not disappoint. I went for lunch with my sister. I had the salmon sandwich and my sis had the crab BLT. Both of us really enjoyed our sandwiches. The salmon was perfectly cooked, moist and flaky. My sister said the crab BLT was very good and generous with the crabmeat. The service was very friendly and attentive. The decor was very minimal, as it should be. They let the view be the star of the show. The plateglass window wall really brings the outside into this small space. Because the restaurant is on the bayfront, I almost felt like I was sitting on a houseboat. It was pretty cool! Their menu is a little pricey. I have one suggestion. I think if you are spending 14 to 16 dollars on one sandwich, it really should come with the frites and not just the asian slaw. It doesn't have to be a huge pile of frites. A small handful of them would of made this meal seem more worth the price. I will definitely be back to try their dinner menu. This was a good recommendation.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Saffron Salmon is one of a few fine-dining options in Newport. Consequently, it appears to almost always be fully booked. If you want to make sure you will be seated, you should absolutely make reservations. The restaurant is nicely situated on the waterfront and offers nice views of the bay. The service is attentive and friendly. Our salads were good, as were the entrees. My husband, who had reached his seafood limit, had a steak. I opted for the special, which was a pesto pasta with seafood. The atmosphere in the restaurant is casually elegant, although people were definitely a little more dressed up here than they were at the other places we ate during our stay in Newport. All in all, Saffron Salmon is well worth a visit.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

SS is a small room with plate-glass windows overlooking Newport harbor. The room can get noisy when full. The dishes emphasize the main ingredient and are beautifully seasoned. The calamari appetizer is a revelation that will change the way you think about calamari forever. (Other restaurants should come here to learn how to prepare calamari.) Highly recommended.:

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had dinner that was carefully done and delicious. Both my wife and I had the salmon and our friend the shrimp and pasta. We were delighted with the taste and the presentation. Service was cheerful and efficient. We would not hesitate to go there again. The view of the bay was wonderful.