“Little known treasure”
Review of Waves of Newport

Waves of Newport
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Nice place in Nye Beach. A great little spot. Few people, so not crowded. Our room was freshely painted, newer carpet, nice view of the ocean even though it is not ocean front. It included continental breakfast which included freshly baked cinnamon croissants, fruit, bagels, hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, juice and coffee. The place has an indoor pool and hot tub. They were running a special and it was the best deal in town. To top it off the staff were super; very friendly. I would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank rrtravelersPortland

Reviewed November 29, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Waves of Newport Motel on Thanksgiving night (just for 1 night) and loved it! We had a corner room on the 2nd floor with beautiful views of the Pacific and to the Yaquina light house. The room and the bathroom were spotless, the bed firm, clean and comfortable; there was also a microwave, coffee maker and a small refrigerator in the room. The next morning we had a nice continental breakfast in the breakfast room by the office. It was wonderful and included: Coffee, Tea, Orange Juice, English muffins, bagels, cinnamon rolls, cereals, fruits (bananas and apples), hard boiled eggs, cream cheese and jams. As a travel agent I have stayed in many properties along the coast, but for the price ($68 plus tax) and quality you'll be hard pressed to find a better place on the Oregon Coast. This Motel is located just about a block and a half from the little community of Nye Beach, with quaint little stores, restaurants, cafes and bistros.
We will be back for sure!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PDXHelmut
Reviewed October 5, 2008

10-4-08 I made a reservation 2 weeks in advance, spoke to a man who assured me the price would be 68.00 same as it was when I last stayed there on 3-15-08. When I got there, they refused to give me a room at that rate. They offered me 10.00 cheaper then what the original price was which was 98.00 per night. The lady called the man to the front desk who made the reservation and proceeded to call me a" Liar " and stated that " I never told you that, you're lieing".
My first experience back in March was GREAT, but I will never go back there AGAIN. They will not get the pleasure of obtaining my money. No apologies were given. I find this to be TERRIBLE customer service. What happened to " the customer is always right?" I did not drive 3 hrs to be told something completely different. DO NOT TRUST THEM. They will scam you to come out there then unfortunately you have to drive around to find another hotel.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank jennsblueeyes
wavesnewport, Owner at Waves of Newport, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2008

It's interesting that this woman was quoted a rate that we don't even have any longer. $68 is a rate we had last spring, but since have added a pool/spa/sauna, and therefore our rates have increased some. This is a case of someone mistaking a rate they had in the past with what they were quoted.

On a side note, this lady was irate and would not budge, we offered her a discout off the rate and she refused. Not much else we could do.

On a side note, her own daughter told her to calm down and that she was being very rude. Not a surprise that she left that out of her review.

We are a very responsible and fair organization and it bothers us when remarks like this are left on this website. Our intention is to treat every customer with respect and to make their stay enjoyable. We have a very high rate of return customers and are generally considered a great value with nice rooms.

Reviewed September 17, 2008

This was a great place to stay this summer on our trip to the coast. I took along my 2 small grandsons. The staff at this motel are so friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and odor free, just what we were looking for.
They had a new pool the grandsons loved to be in, along with the jacuzzi.
The morning breakfast they serve is delightful. Fresh homemade cinnamon rolls along with the other muffins, bagels, cereal, fruit etc.
We had an upstairs room with a view of the ocean. Sure there was another building in front but we could look out over the roof of it and still see the ocean, and I was told exactly what I was getting.
They don't have an elevator in the older part, where we chose to stay, but it was only 2 flights of stairs. The did give me my choice of new or older building, so I can't comment on the newer one.
Pleasant place to stay. We had 3 fun days over at the coast. It was comforting to know we could leave our belongings and go touring around, coming back to a small but comfortable room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I am sitting in our room and looking out at the ocean as I write this review, so internet access is available. We have a 3rd floor room and the view is fantastic. It is very clean and the bathroom looks like it was just redone. The room has a microwave, a small refrigerator and a coffee pot with the coffee packets as well. If you like your coffee strong, one of the packets won't be enough.
Two things that are a less than excellent rating:
1) The windows have a horizontal 6 inch window pane divider at eye level; so if you are sitting in the chairs provided you either have to stand or duck to see the full effect of the beach and horizon.
2) The shower head is not very good.
Otherwise we would stay here again. So, we're off to take advantage of the continental breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2008

My Boyfriend and I stayed for a couple of nights in June 2008.
We both loved the view and the location. Nye Beach is just a short walk. We really enjoyed their new pool and spa. We both have back problems and being able to relax in the water was most welcome. Our room was clean and comfortable, much more so then others we have stayed at for a lot more money. I would recommend The Waves to all travalers. The owners were courteous and helpful. Breakfast in the morning is great.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank judymae56
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed at this motel for 1 night on May 21, 2008.

Was a bit disappointed after seeing the photo on the web site. Yes there are ocean view room, but probably not worth the upgraded price for a corner room, window looked right into the another corner room in the next building and a power line runs right in front of the view window. The room was large but did have a musty smell, couldn't really pin point what it exactly was. Breakfast is not served until 8am which didn't help us out as we had to be at our fishing trip earlier than that. Staff was friendly enough. The one night was fine but for longer stays I maybe would spend a little more and try another place. We learned a lot this time on our trip and that is to not count on seeing the same vision as the web site photo's post.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple