“Great Place”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Newport
la pine, Oregon
“Great Place”
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This was a great place to stay this summer on our trip to the coast. I took along my 2 small grandsons. The staff at this motel are so friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and odor free, just what we were looking for.
They had a new pool the grandsons loved to be in, along with the jacuzzi.
The morning breakfast they serve is delightful. Fresh homemade cinnamon rolls along with the other muffins, bagels, cereal, fruit etc.
We had an upstairs room with a view of the ocean. Sure there was another building in front but we could look out over the roof of it and still see the ocean, and I was told exactly what I was getting.
They don't have an elevator in the older part, where we chose to stay, but it was only 2 flights of stairs. The did give me my choice of new or older building, so I can't comment on the newer one.
Pleasant place to stay. We had 3 fun days over at the coast. It was comforting to know we could leave our belongings and go touring around, coming back to a small but comfortable room.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Tucson
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I am sitting in our room and looking out at the ocean as I write this review, so internet access is available. We have a 3rd floor room and the view is fantastic. It is very clean and the bathroom looks like it was just redone. The room has a microwave, a small refrigerator and a coffee pot with the coffee packets as well. If you like your coffee strong, one of the packets won't be enough.
Two things that are a less than excellent rating:
1) The windows have a horizontal 6 inch window pane divider at eye level; so if you are sitting in the chairs provided you either have to stand or duck to see the full effect of the beach and horizon.
2) The shower head is not very good.
Otherwise we would stay here again. So, we're off to take advantage of the continental breakfast.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — shower head
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed July 19, 2008

My Boyfriend and I stayed for a couple of nights in June 2008.
We both loved the view and the location. Nye Beach is just a short walk. We really enjoyed their new pool and spa. We both have back problems and being able to relax in the water was most welcome. Our room was clean and comfortable, much more so then others we have stayed at for a lot more money. I would recommend The Waves to all travalers. The owners were courteous and helpful. Breakfast in the morning is great.

• Liked — Room and view
  • Disliked — No Pop machine near rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank judymae56
Sioux Falls SD
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed at this motel for 1 night on May 21, 2008.

Was a bit disappointed after seeing the photo on the web site. Yes there are ocean view room, but probably not worth the upgraded price for a corner room, window looked right into the another corner room in the next building and a power line runs right in front of the view window. The room was large but did have a musty smell, couldn't really pin point what it exactly was. Breakfast is not served until 8am which didn't help us out as we had to be at our fishing trip earlier than that. Staff was friendly enough. The one night was fine but for longer stays I maybe would spend a little more and try another place. We learned a lot this time on our trip and that is to not count on seeing the same vision as the web site photo's post.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sdmamamoose
salem
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel for the last several years, acknowledging that is was a budget hotel, but generally had a nice stay. I had always recommended to to friends for he price and the location.

This last trip was absolutely miserable, and the owners tell you they are very sorry for your troubles, but the absolutely WILL NOT refund you or comp you a room if your trip was not satisfactory. The owner's exact word were, "well, if we had to refund everyone, that would hurt US".

There was no air conditioner in the room, and one dinky window, with no circulation, forcing us to have the door open until about midnight.

The biggest deal was the lack of ANY hot water for the one thing I look forward to he most in the morning...a HOT shower. I was told that the water simply gets used up, there is not enough to go around, and not everyone would get a hot shower, but that's just the way it goes. "Cannot please everyone" the owner said. A local campground offers better showers than that, for alot less money.

So..if you don't care about being comfortable, having professional service, or getting a shower in the morning, by all means, this is the place for you.

They have lost our business, as well as all our MANY friends' business, as they could care less about customer satisfaction. There are many other small hotels at the coast who take pride in their business and care about their loyal customers and are not too cheap to fix the problems as they arise.

DO NOT stay at the Waves!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — no hot water, no air condition, unprofessional service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
wavesnewport, Owner/Manager at Waves of Newport, responded to this review, June 3, 2008
This guest stayed while we were out of the office for a few days and our assistant manager asked her to call back on Monday when my wife and I returned. Of course she did not call and decided instead to write a bad review, which is her choice.

January 2008 we installed additional hot water equipment that allows for all of our guest to enjoy hot showers. On rare occasions in previous years we had problems on busy weekends supplying enough hot water. This problem has been resolved. During her stay, we experienced a burner problem with one of our water heaters that required repair. This problem was fixed the day it occurred.

As far as air conditioning is concerned there are probably 3 days a year on the Oregon coast that air conditioning is necessary. Check the average temps for the Oregon coast and factor in the 10 to 30 mile per hour wind and you will see air conditioners are not necessary.

We also take great pride in our customer service as the vast majority of our customers will tell you, but in this case our assistant managers request to call back in a couple of days was not satisfactory for this guest.

A simple phone call back from the guest would have resulted in a appropriate solution to this guests issue.

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

barelysane
Reviewed May 18, 2008

The photo's online made this "cottage" look appealing. The reality was so the opposite. Absolutely filthy. Smelled so funky that I was unable to sleep in our room. To be honest, it smelled like old sex. I'm sure it was the comforter. Or the carpet. I have never felt like I had to go out and buy my own bedding until I experienced this place. Most of the windows had NO screens, the place had NO air conditioning which we absolutely needed on a record 99 degree day!! One of the windows didn't even lock. So much for feeling safe leaving the place!! So glad I left my laptop at home. There was NOTHING redeeming about our stay. It has forever changed how I feel about hotels. Prior to this, a place to sleep was good enough. NOT anymore. I will be doing some good checking before I book another room anywhere. Avoid.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank barelysane
wavesnewport, Owner Manager at Waves of Newport, responded to this review, June 3, 2008
This is news to us, this guest made no attempt to discuss their issues and never brought anything to our attention. We have 2 older cottages that are priced accordingly and we do not and have never misrepresented our cottages. They are very affordable accomodations for family's and/or groups that are located close to the beach. We have had hundreds of guests stay in our cottages and have not had complaints of this nature in the past. We would have made every effort to accomodate this guests issues if they had simply let us know.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed February 17, 2008

We just returned from a 2 night stay in the 3 bedroom house owned and operated by The Waves hotel. It is next door to the hotel and offers a stunning ocean view from the living room, and great access to the beach and the Nye Beach area. For the price of the house I was very disappointed. We checked in at 8 pm and the house had not been cleaned, so we waited for 25 mintues for the desk staff to take care of it. They told us they were sorry and when we asked for compensation they said no you weren't inconvenienced by us. The house is is poor condition and very outdated. Front door wouldn't lock, back door broken, towel bars fell off wall, toilet ran all night, very noisy wall heaters, carpet stained, overall dirty and not worth the price.

• Liked — ocean view
  • Disliked — outdated, poor condition
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
This guest checked in and she is correct it was not ready. The house had been partially cleaned, but she and her husband did have to wait about 20 minutes for beds to be made. During their 20 minute wait, they borrowed my personal cell phone charger as they had forgotten theirs at home.

I agree they were inconvenienced for a few minutes and we made the decision that a refund was not warranted.

As to the quality of our service and accommodations, apparently they did not feel they were too poor as her husband stayed again on a commercial rate 2 weeks later.