“Reminded us of home”

Stone Crest Cellars Italian Restaurant & Wine Tasting Bar
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Italian with a Mediterranean flare using local and fresh NW products. Wine Tasting & Wine flights, nightly specials & desserts.
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We are visiting from NY. I love wine and we both love Italian food. All of the wait staff were professional, attentive and friendly. We met the Chef and he is from NY and he sat and chatted with us. I did the tasting and it gave me a way to taste some wine from Oregon. We loved the bread and spread. We had a Cesar salad that was very tasty. We both had the eggplant parm. It was great. The desert was to die for. They made us feel welcome and served us great food. What else could you ask for?

1  Thank Jeanne M

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Arrived at the restaurant Friday night for our 7:30pm reservation. The place was empty only three tables being used of about 15. Proceeded to be seated in a tight corner table for 2 with one of the seats facing a wall, and our menus placed in front of us....both upside down. We were brought out some mush on a plate and some stale looking dried up French bread and told by a surly young lady that our waitress would be with us shortly. Within seconds our waitress arrived and then launched into the full scale wine selling mode....spend $5.oo get tastings then if you by a bottle this is discounted or get 3 half glasses of some other wine for $15.00....I'm sure it all makes sense but it was overload for me......I interrupted the wine pitch and asked if they were fully booked and expecting more tables and was told no, I then added why would you seat to big guys one is 6'4 in a cramped little table for 2 when so many nicer tables were available....and was told 2 people get a table for 2 and that was their policy as they get so busy....so I added again...are you expecting to be busy....answer was last seating was at 8:30 and they had no other reservations. At that point the light went on and was told if we wanted to move we could....by this point I really am over the experience and decided things were just not jelling for me and we decided that we would leave....wish I could say something about the food but never got that far. Friday night in high summer in a tourist town and 3 tables filled...maybe a bad night but could be a sign of things to come....no second chance for this place from me with so many other options.

6  Thank Trev D
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just heard about this restaurant in town and got reservations for a Saturday night. Tiny place, in a nondescript storefront facing Coast Hwy in "downtown" Newport. The menu is small but has thoughtfully crafted starters, salads, and entrees, both Italian and American. We were served crusty bread with a very tasty spread that was made with mushrooms and cream cheese with a vinaigrette drizzle; it was a delicate spread that tasted fantastic and necessitated more bread so that we could eat every bit of it!

The entree we shared was prawns with gnocchi & mushrooms. It was fantastic and very flavorful. We had several glasses of red wine, as well as dessert. They have a great selection of desserts and we'll be back for sure to try more of them. We had the flourless chocolate torte with raspberries and a custard sauce. Out of this world good! I've had flourless chocolate torte in a number of restaurants and this was by far the winner. So light and moist, and the custard sauce was delicate and delicious.

We'll be back soon to enjoy this great restaurant. So happy we have a new restaurant in town!

2  Thank cara g
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I shared a meal here with a friend of mine last week. Stone Crest had been recommended to me many times. I was not disappointed! The service (Ask for Denise! Although all of the wait staff appeared to be professional and the other guests seemed to be enjoying their meals too) was friendly, expedient and fun. The food was great. We started off with the steamed mussels in a tomato bisque type of sauce. I love mussels and these were excellent. (I often harvest my own mussels off the ocean rocks, so I know what I am talking about). I also ordered the wine sampler that started with Champagne, and moved onto a very reasonable serving of 4 other wines, all for only $5! I am not an expert wine connoisseur, so this was a great way to sample 5 different wines and all were excellent from my perspective. My main course was a tri-tip steak sliced and combined with other vegetables and augmented with mashed potatoes infused with mustard. This was excellent. Overall this was a great culinary delight! The only negative (and not much of a negative) is that the restaurant is located in an older strip mall. However, you do not really realize this once you get into the restaurant and the food and service more than make up for the location. However, the location is conveniently and centrally located in the 'downtown' Newport area. I will return!

1  Thank RCL62
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Maybe not heaven, but the next best thing! The wine was amazing and the food was even better! Great staff, very knowledgeable. The chef is fantastic! His specials were incredible. Nothing but good things! A. Great. Place.

Travelers who viewed Stone Crest Cellars Italian Restaurant & Wine Tasting Bar also viewed