“Good Value”
Review of The Whaler

The Whaler
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We found this hotel to be clean and comfortable. It was not fancy, but that's ok with us. We loved the location. It was within walking distance of the Nye Beach district and not too far from the lighthouse. We booked a lower level room (aka less expensive) as we knew we would not be there much. I do recommend getting a 3 floor room if you want an unobstructed view of the ocean.

There are newer reviews for The Whaler

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel room was clean. We did have a good view. It was fairly basic, fairly outdated tube TV with terrible cable. I'd probably try for a different location if I get to go back to Newport. I can't say it was terrible. The staff were quite nice and were accommodating. It felt like your typical overnight hotel and for 153 dollars I guess I hoped for a bit more. It's very close to the beach - you seriously just walk across the street and down a path.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Let me start off by saying I loved New Port. Such a beautiful, peaceful place. Our hotel location could not have been better. Overlooking Nye beach on Elizabeth St. I booked at the Whaler because I thought it would be best for kids as we were travelling with 2.
Other than the location, pool and internet access I would say this hotel (really a motel) is lacking. Needs updates, kind of icky bathrooms, no air conditoning and the "lobby" where we grab our "breakfast" and bring up to our room on cafeteria trays is tiny to say the least.
The best part of this place is that all rooms have a view of the beach, but I would have stayed down the road a bit had I known about the lack of air conditioning, updates and lobby area.

Room Tip: If you must stay, pick a third floor room. You will have the best view and the least amount of noise...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The rooms need updated as well as the fixtures. However, had flat screen TV. The wi fi sucked but we were so close to the ocean my phone could not recognize where we are. My husband has a very stressful career and we had the do not disturb sign up but we were disturbed by phone several times. Most hotels do not disturb you when you have the sign up. They put a note underneath the door. Hopefully they will read the review and change their housekeeping procedures to not call and put a note underneath door.

Get rid of the old bedspreads. comforters are in 21st century

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great, it was clean and had great views. Could use some updating, but for the price it's well worth it. It's a five minute walk to the beach and a 5-10 minute walk from nye beach restaurants and shops. It's a 15 min drive from all the other attractions. I would recommend staying here and I would stay again. It's not a 5 star but it's a 5 star in my book for location.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had two rooms adjoining, and it worked perfectly for our crowd of 6. No smoking anywhere, which was an absolute plus for us. Kids especially loved the free popcorn in the lobby, plus the pool when it was too chilly to go on the beach. Price was reasonable, room was clean, 'breakfast' was a bit sparse, but adequate. Walk to the boardwalk restaurants, and there's a good kid's park about two blocks away. Only negative was the use of flat sheets for bottom sheet instead of fitted sheets. Kept having to tuck them back in every time the kids moved around. Other than that minor thing, it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you get adjoining rooms, make sure one has the microwave and kitchenette. Very convenient. Don...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at this fine Motel with my Daughter and 2 young Grandsons on Sunday & Monday nights. We had a double Queen room on the third floor, with a great view of Yaquina Head Lighthouse. Our room was spacious, with a small sofa that could be made into another bed, a coffee table, a comfortable chair, a desk & chair. There is wireless internet available. The private balcony had two chairs and a small table. The bathroom was nicely appointed, with nice fluffy towels, large mirrors and a roomy closet.
Everything was impeccably clean. The staff were friendly and helpful from the front desk when we checked in to the young man who brought us fresh towels for the second day. The night desk person gave me a zip lock Baggie for ice for the younger Grandson's head bump.
We took advantage of the nice pool and jacuzzi, and I tried out the equipment in the exercise room. It is only a short walk across the road to the Beach! The GrandBoys saw starfish at low tide, ran and played in the waves, and each found a great stick of driftwood.
I appreciated the no smoking rules and the elevator to take us up to the 3rd floor. It was a Wonderful Stay and we are planning to return soon!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family