“Great lodging choice for Newport”
Review of The Whaler

The Whaler
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend in a ground floor double queen room with my dog. The room was perfectly acceptable, including two beds (which to my untrained eye looked more like doubles than queens), a sitting table with two chairs, desk, flat screen TV, refrigerator, small coffee maker, and full bath with the sink and dressing area separate from the bathtub and toilet. The hotel is located on the east side of Elizabeth St., so it's not oceanfront, but the balcony had a great across the street ocean view. it's also within easy walking distance of Nye Beach and all it has to offer. The wireless Internet connection was not the fastest, but the signal was strong, and I was able to do all that I needed to do with it. Breakfast, available in the lobby, included coffee, pastries, cereals, and fruit. I was leery when I saw a couple with a baby check into the room next door, but never heard a peep from the child through the walls. Did hear footsteps in the room directly above, but not to the point where it was disturbing. Bed was comfortable; pillows were so so. I'd like to try a deluxe king room next time to see what it's like. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AmerikanacUHrvatskoj

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a 1st floor room with a king bed and a sleeper sofa for our son. The room was very basic, no frills. It was extremely clean and spacious, though. There was a path to the beach around the corner from our room. Hotel is within walking distance to some shops and restaurants, although we drove due to the rainy weather. There is a nice-looking indoor pool, but we didn't have time to use it. Breakfast was fruit, pastries/breads, cereals, juices, and coffee, and it was perfectly fine. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank barney01
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had a great time at the beach while staying at the whaler motel. Nothing fancy but worked for us. Next to the beach and all of the rooms have balconies. Really appreciate that it is a non smoking motel and pet friendly. Our dogs love the beach. The weather was great over the weekend we were there. You don't get weather like that at the coast so it was very and very warm. What a beautiful sunset from the balcony. Was a little warm in the room when the sun started setting. No air conditioning, so I called the office to see if they by chance had an fans for their guest to use and they did. That was very helpful. Made sleeping a little better.
I really don't like going on these things to vent. I find that if you talk to the manager on duty that sometimes it turns out better. We will return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo D
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Here are the problems we experienced at The Whaler:
1) When I called I explained to the lady who was setting up our reservation that it was my wife's birthday. I told her the type of room we were looking for and she said she would give us the end room on the 3rd floor because "from there you can see the entire coast." When we arrived we were given a room somewhere in the middle and closer to the office. From our room part of the coast was blocked from our view.
2) There is no air conditioner in the rooms. The explanation is, "It never gets this hot here." It was 86 and very uncomfortable. Regardless, there should be an assumption that some people don't like a stuffy room and perhaps like it a little cooler. This is like not having a heater in a hotel in Alaska.
3) Poor to nonexistent wireless. Most of the time I couldn't use my laptop.
4) The toilet plugged up. At this point we realized that this is a poorly maintained facility.
5) My wife went down to get our breakfast, which is basic. There was nowhere to set her stuff so she suggested to the lady working there that it would be nice if there was a table in the middle of the room so people could set their food down. She was snarky (aka not nice). My wife told another lady who accepted her recommendation.

We do NOT recommend The Whaler.

Room Tip: Make sure to bring your own pillow if you must stay here but we will not stay here again.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Allen P
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Oh how I love to look out at the Pacific Ocean and watch the waves roll in from the convenience of my room. And if that's not enough, there are chairs on the patio on the balcony of my room, where one can truly enjoy the outdoor view. It's not just my room that has this fantastic view, every room at the Whaler Motel has an ocean view. The staff at the Whaler Motel are all very friendly, courteous and polite. And the free popcorn is delicious. When I really want to relax I'll head over to the indoor pool and spa. I've had three stays at the Whaler Motel so far and I guarantee they will be seeing me again.

Room Tip: Every room is a good choice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HappyTraveler63_13
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Whaler recently during a weekend trip down the Oregon Coast. The staff was friendly, rooms were clean, liked that they had free WIFI and we really liked that it was dog friendly. We stayed on the 2nd floor, ocean side, and views were amazing! The only downside was our room was a little "dated" and not as up to date as other hotels we have stayed in, also the pillows (only two on a queen size bed) were extremely small and lumpy. Other than that we enjoyed our stay and would come back again; we'd just bring our own pillows.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms that stick out from building were nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I were planning a trip to the west coast from Texas and decided to book a room at the Whaler Motel because of the good reviews. We were not disappointed! Our room was spotless and the view was incredible! The beach is just steps away. The front desk ladies were wonderful to us and were knowledgeable about the surrounding area with great recommendations for fun and fabulous food! They treated us like family. We are definately returning next year, the Whaler Motel and Newport Oregon are a great combination!

Room Tip: The view would be great from any room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple