“Neat...”

Fishermen's Memorial Sanctuary
Ranked #24 of 51 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Monument located in Yaquina Bay State Park that memorializes mariners who lost their lives at sea.
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is really neat, but at the same time sad. We walked there along the beach from our hotel. :)

There are newer reviews for Fishermen's Memorial Sanctuary

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I've gone to the nearby Yaquina Bay lighthouse on tours before, but one day I just happened to notice the small sanctuary nearby so I decided to go have a look. There are places to sit down, and an altar in the front. On top of the altar, people leave pictures of their loved ones who were lost at sea, and also flowers and other mementos. For many people, this is the only place they have to grieve their loved one if the body wasn't recovered, so I think it is a very good thing that this sanctuary was built in their memory. Seeing this memorial and watching shows like the Deadliest Catch has given me a whole new appreciation for those men and women who risk their lives to put the food on our tables, that's for sure.

5  Thank ladycascadia