“Great for birdwatching”

Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area
Ranked #1 of 52 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: From exploring tide pools teeming with life to witnessing Oregon's tallest lighthouse, there is something for every visitor at Yaquina Head. Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area extends out from the Oregon coast, one mile into the Pacific Ocean. Standing 93 feet tall at the westernmost point of the basalt headland, the lighthouse has been a bright beacon of the night, guiding ships and their supplies along the west coast since the light was first lit on August 20, 1873. The offshore islands are a year-round refuge for harbor seals and a spring-summer home for thousands of nesting seabirds. Gray whales can be spotted during their annual migrations to Mexico (late fall-early winter) and Alaska (late winter-early spring). During the summer months some gray whales take the opportunity to feed in the shallow waters around the headland. Cobble Beach is compiled of millions of round basalt rocks that produce an applause-like sound as the waves roll in. When the tide is low a vibrant ocean floor is revealed—pools of colorful animals including orange sea stars, purple sea urchins, and giant green anemones. Rangers are at hand to answer questions and point out all of the amazing plants and animals that call the tide pools home. Visit the Interpretive Center and discover 140 years of lighthouse history and thousands of years of natural and cultural history. Friends of Yaquina Lighthouses, a non-profit organization, offers site-related books, maps, and postcards in their interpretive store. Whether you want to see raging winter storms batter the Oregon coast, learn about the role lighthouses played in the westward expansion of the United States, or watch peregrine falcons at play, visit Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area and experience something wild.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Great place for watching birds or whales. We saw a peregrine falcon on the rocks, catching some sun and probably catching his dinner too. We didn't get to the tide pools this time - the wind was too strong and we weren't dressed for it. Spend the time to take the lighthouse tour - I always learn something.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,713)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Although not fabulous for toddlers, we survived! I enjoyed the view while chasing my child. For older kids (old enough to listen and follow directions) tons of fun to explore! Worth the $7 to get into the park!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were rushed for time so unable to enjoy the tide pools and bird watching this trip, but we did enjoy the lighthouse and Interpretive Center. Interesting that Oregon's tallest (this lighthouse) and shortest (Cape Meares) lighthouses are just a couple hours distance apart. The Interpretive Center was so well done - one of the best. Easy to get to and only a short distance off US 101.

1  Thank SoCalMare
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have been coming here since 2010 and find it one of my all time favorite destinations. From bird watching to tide pooling or just taking a stroll up the vista point, the Yaquina Outstanding area can provide anyone with something to do and see. The lighthouse at the tip of the point is the tallest out of all the lighthouses on the Oregon coast. A must hear/see opportunity are the rocks below the steps to the left of the lighthouse. When the waves crash the shore they bring thousands, if not millions, of these palm sized rounded stones up onto the shore creating a chiming noise and as the tide goes back out these same stones follow the waves back out creating an even louder chiming. Real cool! The area also provides an interpretive center and gift shop, Though the last time I was gift shopping for my family there, a not so friendly "Gene" I believe his name was the cashier. He didn't smile or even thank me for my purchase. After spending $80 plus you would think I'd at least get a thank you. I normally purchase gifts here for two reasons 1) family and friends and 2) it goes to a good cause, now I'll just skip the gift shop and pay the entrance fee. Regardless, the Yaquina Oustanding Area will always have a place in my heart and soul as I look forward to the next time I visit this place.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a nice area, especially if you need to give your dog a walk. The old historic lighthouse here has quite a history, well documented and the interior decorated to resemble what it was like when it was operational. Unfortunately, you can't go to the top but the pictures and information available help fill in the pieces.