“Wonderful hotel & location”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reno
“Wonderful hotel & location”
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We always try to find 3 star or better Best Western's while traveling - the Agate Beach Inn lives up to the rating and more. Beautiful views, helpful and efficient clerks, bartenders and waitress, nice view, very clean and wonderful room service. We had an ocean view room, so nice to have breakfast room service and watch the waves. The lounge and restaurant below the lobby offered plenty of choices for dining inside, out on the patio, at the bar, in the restaurant. There was a convention of some sort, but the hotel is well constructed, so although you could hear music and parties in the hall, we did not hear any n our room. Located a bit north of the main center of the town, it is nice to be a bit away from the traffic, but still on the water. Absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Denton, Manchester
Reviewed February 28, 2009

What a disappointment it was when we arrived. The hotel looked tired and outdated. You entered the hotel on the 2nd floor. We were given a queen bedroom on the 6rd floor facing the car park which was on 2 levels (1 accessible via a walkway from the 6th floor and 1 outside the front doors of the hotel). The upper car park was also between the hotel and the highway so there was constant noise from passing traffic which you could hear as there was only single glazed windows. My husband and I were intending to use the gym however this was in the lobby of the hotel and was in full view of anyone using the elevator or just wandering around the lobby, it was also extremely small. We ate at the hotel 1 night (we stayed 2 nights in total) in the sports bar (can't remember the name) which was tasty and fairly reasonably priced. The bar has access to the patio from which you could take a short walk to the beach. The beach was FANTASTIC. Clean, and sandy for as far as you could see.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Oregon Coast
Reviewed November 27, 2008

My wife and I were traveling along the coast for her birthday and she just loved the Oregon Aquarium so we figured we would find a Best Western someplace close, because a BW hasn't let us down yet.

When pulling in you meet a charming lobby and some friendly staff. The check-in was quick (thats what I love about traveling in the fall/winter.) I went to park the car and the hotel is a bit confusing at first. You park up on a hill and then take a sky bridge to the 6th floor and you get to your room from there.

The view was excellent. The balcony was not. Now I wear size 14 shoes and nothing you would call skinny, the balconies were tiny. The room really didn't have much in it. A bed, couple of chairs, and a tv. oh sure we sprang for the ocean front king up on one of the higher floors so maybe I thought there would more to the room. I guess not.

The bathroom was alright, albeit a little dirty when we checked in. Just as long as the wife is happy, I'm happy.

We went for numerous walks on the beach. when they say ocean front, they really mean you just have unblocked views. It was quite a hike to get to the beach, you have to walk down the hill, cross the street, a creek, and dunes to get to the beach. My wife and I are smokers and not exactly spring chickens. Oh were we huffing and puffing hah ha. Speaking of smoking, it's a none smoking hotel, which I like and if you do smoke, they have plenty accesable places for you to smoke.

The people at the desk in the evening were a little unsure about the local area. When I called the front desk to ask what time Fred Meyer closes all I got was a "the number should be in the phone book." Well thanks lol.

Now I hate driving and finding things in a big city. So I very surprised that Newport is such a charming little town, it's very easy to find your way around, find shopping, resturants, and attractions. We couldn't find a tatoo parlor with openings while we were there so that was a bummer.

Of course we went to the aquarium. Always loved it, and we did a little shopping around the immediate area by the aquarium and find just a little golden nugget of a area. Aquarium Villiage I think its called. just wonderful little shops.

The resturant in the hotel was not very good. Overpriced and bland. The breakfast, no free one, was a little better than their dinner menu.

The gift shop people were great. Rowland was very nice and helpful.

And so in conclusion, good view but bad balcony. Nice room but kinda sparse. Better just stay the night rather than making it an extended stay.

• Liked — Actually finding a good sized agate on agate beach and the pool/jacuzzi!
  • Disliked — The food.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Stayed at this property due to the reviews on TripAdvisor. It is a short drive to get to Newport from the hotel (5-10 mins) but the stay was well worth it! The hotel is pet friendly and clean, has a nice pool for the kids, and the beach is directly across a small residential street out the back of the building. The added bonus is that because it is out of the downtown area, the beach is very quiet with very few people. We had a great time and certainly plan on staying there again.

• Liked — Quiet rooms, easy beach access
  • Disliked — Old decor, clean but out of date...
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Chehalis, Washington
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We love this place for the location, the view, and the wonderful bar and restaurant but don't book a room during a convention...well, at least not on the 6th floor that is! Lots of noise coming from the suite on the 6th floor... loud drunks everywhere.
Make sure you get an oceanview room because there is no A/C and if you stay on the parking-lot side, you open the door and hear traffic noise on 101.
Parking is plentiful and it's sort of secluded at the north end of town. I've stayed here twice and will return again. Love the pool and spa overlooking the beach and ocean.
We had good service from everyone in the hotel (we had to be moved to the 4th floor due to plumbing problems). The Starfish Grill has wonderful, friendly service and we had excellent food for every meal...ate there three times in 3 days. Clam chowder is the best. Don't miss the outdoor BBQ!
The small gift store had decent prices and people that work there are friendly and knowledable. If you stay somewhere else, at least visit the gift shop and the Grill. You won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Starfish Grill, the pool, the location, the view
  • Disliked — No A/C, too noisy with the convention there
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Our family of four stayed at the Agate Beach Inn to attend a conference. We had a wonderful ocean front room with a an awesome view. However the service provided was less than than stellar. During our two night stay we had to ask to have our room serviced by housekeeping -- when it was serviced the staff stated that they were less than pleased to have to do our room so late in the day (4pm). I have written to both the general manager and the corporate headquarters regarding the poor customer service without response. The hotel industry on the Oregon coast is very competitive and I would think it would be in the best interest of the BW Agate Beach Inn to put more of emphasis on customer service to ensure repeat business considering the price the paid.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — The poor customer service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Oregonzied
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My Sister and her partner got married at this venue this last weekend. The staff (Tami, Boone and the desk Staff) went well beyond the call of duty in helping us out. Tami ran for almost as long as I did as the Wedding Planner. Their attitude was wonderful as the details built up. Tami personally ran welcome baskets to various rooms when they came late. Any request I had (including the Bride changing the entire configuration of the reception room an hour before the wedding started) was met with cheerful 'can-do' movement. The staff (and Tami specifically) really made my world better and were instrumental in making the day go off well. Unfortunately, the negative part is that the food was not great. The roast beef was tough even in the rarer parts and the more well-done parts were uneatable. I also heard that the breakfast the next day left something to be desired. I can't really comment about the sleeping room, other than it was clean when we got into it, because I spent about an hour in it awake. :-) I would recommend this venue to other brides, but I would caution them about the food.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — the Roast Beef
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)