“Finally…we made it to the Oregon coast - Day 5”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Beautiful curb appeal and when we got out of the car to go in and register, the ocean scented breeze was awesome (that's the kind of thing you say when you live in central Arizona!!). Though our initial impression of the hotel was "like a resort," that impression didn't hold up on closer scrutiny…nothing bad…just not a resort. Because we would be staying just one night, we chose not to pay the extra $$ for an ocean view room and instead, stayed on the beach itself until almost dark and it was time to go inside. (But not until lots of sunset photos had been taken.) We had dinner at the onsite restaurant which has a nice view of the ocean and had the windows been clean we could have taken photos from our table. Our dinner was nice but my expectations were higher. When we got to the restaurant we waited 15 minutes for a host/hostess to greet and seat us…we ended out picking up two menus from behind the host station and walking in. Only two tables had seated guests so it didn't take long to figure out the delay in being greeted was slim staffing. Don't know how to rate the food but my salmon was cooked perfectly while the salad it was served with was wilted (mixed greens from a sack). The indoor pool did smell of heavy chlorine and dampness but it sparkled. The fitness room was small with minimal equipment (i.e., one treadmill, one elliptical, one bench, etc.) but it did have a full length window that faced the beach. Our N/S King room on the first floor had been recently renovated giving it a fresh look and the bathroom was very clean. Our window looked out over the parking lot which saved us some privacy when we had to open it and the blinds to let in cooler air. A complimentary breakfast is not offered but they do have carafes of fresh coffee in the lobby.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning at this property. I imagine not a problem most of the time but we were...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandJDC72
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

SandJDC72,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review on our hotel, I was very discourage to hear of your dining experience and will follow up on this. I do hope you will come and stay with us again and stay in an ocean view room.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I made reservations for Thanksgiving 2014 through the Best Western online and phone system but needed to call the property directly to ask about their Thanksgiving buffet that was last reviewed in 2011. Yes, they have a buffet served from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., $21.95 for adults; $17.95 for seniors 65+, and reservations taken about a month prior. Unlike many Best Westerns, there is no complimentary breakfast.

The receptionist who answered the phone on site was extremely helpful. We were unable to specify an ocean view room online nor ask for a pet-friendly room but was able to do so over the phone. We also needed a non-pet ocean view room for other family members allergic to cats and dogs and was informed that although the carpets had been replaced a year ago and were cleaned regularly, a pet room might have had cats or dogs.

My family has visited Agate Beach at the base of the hill on which this hotel is located, and I commented that I chose the property because it was more likely out of the tsunami zone. The staff person said they have a tsunami alert and evacuation plan through their sixth floor sky bridge to the parking lot and farther up the hill. We discussed how we both grew up on the Oregon coast and hadn't given tsunamis a second thought until the 2005 disaster in Indonesia.

Ann Kirby,

I am very pleased to learn that you will be staying with us during the Thanksgiving time. We do have a wonderful buffet on Thanksgiving day with all the trimmings. Chef has not prepared the menu as of yet but I am sure it will be great! I was also very happy to hear that our desk clerks were helpful in getting your reservations taken care of. We look forward to your visit.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The room was nice, great view. Updated but small bathroom that you can hardly turn around in. WiFi was not 100% stable and NO free breakfast. The discounted breakfast was decent but I feel like they could do better considering what I paid per night.

Camille C,

I appreciate your review of our hotel, It sounds like you had a couple of things that disappointed your stay with us. However I assume that you did enjoy your stay. Thank you!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I travel to Newport quite regularly and used to stay at the Hallmark until I discovered the BW Agate. Great views, quiet, but still close enough to the town to be convenient. Walking distance to walmart. Rooms are nice, views are great, food in the restaurant is tasty. I've stayed 4 or 5 times now and will continue to.

Room Tip: Spring for the ocean view...It's worth it
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Mike T,

That is great news about you staying with us, I agree the best rooms are the ocean view. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Grew up with Best Western being more like a Motel 6. I was surprised by the quality and really like the fact that they have queen and not double beds. It was a true three star hotel and experience. Great courtyard and breakfast, too.

Marcus W,

I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by your stay with us. Best Western's have come along way. I hope that you will come stay with us again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Good care while booking through phone as well as checking in & out Excellent location for summer for family Good location for beach and walk along beach with sand Good fun place for short trip I would rate for stay at extreme rate value Good for Family trip too As well as ride around beach

Rajanbabu R,

I so appreciate your review, We do try hard to make sure we can help our guests in anyway when booking a room. I am so glad you enjoyed your time here at the beach.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We had a ocean view room. The room was clean and the view was amazing! The staff was friendly and very helpful. We will definitely be returning to this hotel on our next trip to Newport! I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel!!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Ryan O,

Thank you for your review, I am very happy that you had a good stay with us!