“Nice beach”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Seattle
“Nice beach”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

I did not get a beach view room because we wanted the kid's suite. The kid's suite is not that impressive as there is just a partial wall separating the two "rooms." However, the bunk beds were nice so my two kids would finally not have to share a bed. Pool is nice. Beach, that is only a short walk from the hotel, is excellent. No air conditioner is a bummer though. I plan to stay here again.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — no ac
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Northwest
Reviewed June 29, 2008

When we arrived the temp was around 70 F, it felt like 90 F in the room! We asked about the AC, "open the window", we were told. So we did, an idling car promptly gassed us, so we had to close the window and swelter all night.
This hotel is not on the beach, you have to cross a busy road to get to the ocean. Never again!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NorthwestRiverrat
Oregon
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Don't expect ocean front like the sign on hwy 101 says, its ocean view. The check inn staff need to learn people skills not friendly at all The entry is impressive the lounge is big and clean but again the people skills lacking The rooms for what you pay are a joke. We had a ocean view room 3rd floor 2 queens a small table TV a micro small frig coffee maker no silverware no plates The bathroom was so small you can't get 2 people in them. We lost power for 2 hours from 9 to 1100pm emergency lights in halls not working the pool was so dark you couldn't see anybody got out of pool dark all the way to office to see what happened wreck on hwy wouldn't let us barrow flashlight to get to room so kids could dry off no TV no nothing went back down stairs to complain the outage was a problem with no lights and why they did not have to provide at least flashlights NO ANSWER from there check inn staff the only one willing to give up a lite was one of the maintance staff after a half hour. not happy with hole deal. no comp breakfast or coffee you can get in restaurant or order in room for price and 18% gratuity plus 2.50 service charge. After missing the best 2 hours of the stay no swimming no tv we went to bed early.not to impressive Oh yea they give us 50.00 back after complaining out of a 189.00 never going back.

• Liked — The entry
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Washington
Reviewed March 10, 2008

The Best Western Agate Inn is located north of Newport. If you are looking for a hotel within walking distance of the shopping centers (Historic Bayfront & Historic Nye Beach), then this is not for you.

The two main beaches in Newport are Nye Beach & Agate Beach. Nye beach is in the populated portion of town, within walking distances of many hotels. Agate Beach is the beach we prefer for beauty and solitude. Agate Beach is located a few miles north of the Historic Downtown & Nye Beach area. The beach is huge, and has beautiful views of the Yaquina Head lighthouse. Not many hotels access this beach directly. In fact, the only two I saw were this Best Western, and Starfish Point.

The hotel has 6 stories. Our room was on the 4th floor (412), and had great views. The hotel was modern and well appointed. I am basing this relative to my own experiences; Best Western represents the 'lowest' quality of hotel I will book a stay at. I'm more of a boutique-hotel type of person.

Positives
The Room. I was very happy with the decor, both in the lobby & other public areas, and in our room. The furniture in our room looked relatively new, and there were no cracks/mildew/broken fixtures in the bathroom (this has recently become my pet peeve with many lower-end motel/hotels.). There was a small kitchen area with a sink, microwave and refridgerator, also.

The Restaurants. There are two restaurants, the Starfish Grill and Rookies Sports Bar. We did not eat at Rookies. The Starfish Grill had a nice menu and LARGE dessert menu, most important, of course. Long wine list, also. All four of us were happy with our entrees. The restaurant is at times pricey, however; entree's on the dinner menu were ~$25.00 per plate. Breakfast, on the other hand, was only $4.00! I ate not only at this restaurant, but also at the Rogue Ale House and a quaint breakfast place (go there! Nice people! ) in the HIstoric bayfront area, and thought all three were great dining experiences, although each was quite different. Some reviews said the food was bad at the grill, and I do not agree, however, while I'm a picky eater, I am not a gourmet. I'm happy with a steak & lobster menu with no frills. Maybe those people wanted a more unique menue?

Child Friendly- I do not understand why the reviews mark this place non-child friendly, unless it is regarding the balconys. See my comment in the negatives.

The beach- I almost did not book this hotel based upon a previous review on this site that said the beach was far away, across hard-to-walk-on sand dunes. After staying here, I have to wonder, "What the heck was he talking about?" The beach is a 2 minute walk from the back door of the hotel. There are no sand dunes. The beach is Agate beach, which is large, private, and has NO TEENAGERS having beer parties! I've been to Agate beach many times, always in the off-season, however. Everytime I've been there, it has been practically deserted except for a few people playing with their dogs.

'Negatives'- None were enough to attract from my stay, but I will list them for your use:

The Room. The room did smell musty, but this is common with rooms on the Pacific Northwest Coast, as this is a maritime climate with very high precipitation. I acclimated to the smell quickly, and opened the sliding glass doors to help.

Using the term 'balcony' on the BW website is an overstatement; it is approximately 2 feet of space past the sliding glass doors. The balcony is solidly barred with only a couple inches between bars, but I was still concerned. Since I have small children, I was disappointed that there were only doors, not windows, which would have been easier to open & monitor. Once the kids went to bed, I opened the doors wide, pulled the armchair and table over to the opening, and was able to utilize the balcony well.

I hope this review helps you make this decision. Some facts about me, so you can assess if we look for the same things when traveling: I was traveling with 3 other adults and 2 small children. When my husband and I travel, we usually stay at places ~$100.00 to $250.00 a night, depending upon location. I'm very picky about cleanliness--if the hotel even LOOKS at all worn down on the outside, I'll drive right by. I do tend to equate appearance with cleanliness, even though I know that isn't always true. When booking this room, I would have preferred to find a high end resort-style hotel, and did not mind spending up to $200.00/night, but I could not find anything that seemed nicer than the BW in the Newport area except the Elizabeth Street Inn and the Sylvia Beach/Sylvia Street Inn (can't remember the exact name), and neither seemed child-friendly. While we were in Newport this past weekend, I checked out the hotels. My gut-feelings were right. The Whaler & the Cove & the Newport Motel- scary looking. Sylvia Beachor- whatever-it-was-Hotel- beautiful, nice location...no kids under a certain age allowed, though.

My favorite parts of my trip, for you to reference for area 'attractions':
1. The Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Interpretive Center & Tidepools. Don't worry about hitting the lowest tides to view; at 'lowish' tide, most are exposed. I.e. don't bother waking up at the crack of dawn like I did. They were all still visible 1.5 hours later!
2. Oregon Coast Aquarium. $14.25 per adult.
3. the breakfast place in the Historic Bayfront. I don't remember the name, but if you go all of the way to the end of the shops (towards the east), it will be the white cottage advertising breakfast and lunch , across from the boats. Great coffee and really nice people, too! This place is packed every time we go to Newport, so this time we had breakfast at 9:40 instead of earlier, and had no problem getting a table.

• Liked — Great beach within minutes; clean, modern rooms.
  • Disliked — I wish the balconys had windows in addition to a sliding glass door, and were larger.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank rocks_for_brains
Salem
Reviewed February 25, 2008

The rooms are old and dirty, and sitting out on the deck is out of the question since the "deck" is less then two feet wide.
The walls are paper thin, and the night management was not helpful in any way. While checking out we complained, but were informed nothing could be done since no management was on shift.
The Starfish Grill is the only good thing going for this hotel. We had wonderful food and service.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank dcinor
Portland Oregon
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Nice staff, great room. We booked 5jsbeachhousecom which is our favorite place to stay on the Oregon Coast. The problem is that we had too many people so put our overflow family there, close by. This place has a nice lobby, and great rooms with stunning views of the coast. The rooms have a microwave and small frig and king bed. We absolutely loved the view. Nice hotel amenities, too.

Our family met us every day at the 5js and we had them meet us here too, to eat at their restaurant, starfish grill (?) Anyway, it was great. We watched one of the scariest storms, too!

If you have to stay in a hotel rather than a beach house, this would be my first choice.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SurfLover_07
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed December 3, 2007

This hotel had an amazing location and the views were great. We had an oceanfront room on the 6th floor. You can only get free Wi-Fi on the 5th and 6th floors. The hotel is an older hotel but maintained well. Once your in your room, its a standard Best Western. Nothing special at all. The beds were too hard and the pillows too soft. The room was freezing and it took 4 hours with the heat on full blast just to get the chill out of the room. Granted it was raining and cold outside but it should not take that long to warm up a room. The people at the front desk were very nice and so was the guy in the gift store. Everyone thanked us for visiting and did it with a smile.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The Hard Bed
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple