“One of the best!”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
“One of the best!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I travel extensively using my vehicle, and don't always know where I'll be stopping overnight on my way to my destination. I chose this hotel as I have been there before and it has never disappointed. The staff has been very courteous and this time was no exception. The rooms have been very clean. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke and appreciate the hotels with a no smoking policy. I did smell smoke coming from a room very close to mine and notified the staff. When that guest happened to open her door it was even more obvious. I'm glad this hotel takes their smoking policy seriously. I say this in regard to the person who complained in another review about her smoking. I'll definitely be back to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review! It is nice to know that you appreciate our policies that we have in place. I do hope you get to stay here more often and we look forward to your return. Again Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
North Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2013

General Manager was more focused on attending meetings than providing customer service. I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks during a business trip in January. When I first arrived to the room there was no air conditioning, hair in the sink and a used towel hanging over the shower curtain. Whenever housekeeping came by they were not helpful because they did not speak english and they could not communicate with me. Every time I asked the housekeeper for shampoo, tissue, or other necessities she could not understand me. The balconies are super small with no boundaries. The person staying next to you could easily walk over to your balcony.

First off Im not the type of person to complain. I have stayed at many hotels for business and conferences but what really blew my mind was they charged me a $200 smoking fee. I was accused of smoking in the room when I do not smoke. 24 hours after the housekeeper cleaned my room I received a call from a rude representative at the front desk accusing me of smoking in the room. She rudely told me she had to move me from my ocean view room to another room because they had to air the room out for other guest that were coming to the hotel.

This absolutely blew my mind. 1st of all I was still scheduled to stay at the hotel for a week and a half longer....why were you giving my room to other guest? Was this smoking allegation brought up because you wanted to give the room to another guest. My business associates who were staying at the hotel with me confirmed that I did not smoke however management was content on a mystery person smoking in the room. Of course it was no help talking to the general manager about the issue. When I spoke to her she said no one informed her of the situation so there was nothing she could do about it. I pleaded with her to please just come up to at least see that the room did not smell like smoke because I do not smoke and should not be charge this fee. She told me she was to busy with meetings and her housekeeper (that doesn't speak any english) saw ashes in the bathroom (could not say where in the bathroom) and that was all the proof she needed.

Needless to say I was stuck paying a cleaning fee for a room that was not smoked in and moved to the crappiest room in the hotel because I contested paying the fee

If at all possible stay far away from this hotel and the rude people who work there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 32unhappy
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I am very sorry that you left our hotel feeling this way! We have strict non smoking policies in place which was explained to you at check in and signed by you. Due to the fact that the other person staying in your room smoked we chose to enforce our fee!
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed Dec. 22-25...absolutely loved the room we stayed in and very much appreciated the friendly (and considerate) staff. Front desk, restaurant & lounge, housekeepers...all were quite accomodating and even went above and beyond the norm. We agreed when making our plans to "not" exchange gifts but I couldn't keep my agreement. I knew what she wanted, purchased it, hid it in my car for several days and one of the desk clerks delivered the "Kindle Fire HD" to her in the restaurant while we were having a great Christmas dinner. Worked very well, so...A BIG THANKS !!!

Room Tip: Just call in advance for your reservation and GO! you will be glad you did. We got a good rate calle...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I am so happy to hear you had such a good stay with us! You are defiantly a good secret keeper to have hid the gift in the car! It was so nice of the staff to help you with your surprise ! When coming to the beach I hope that you will come stay with us again. Thank you for taking the time to write your review it is appreciated.
Sandy
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Absolutely loved the location, value, service, mattresses... everything! We found a favorite hotel finally to stay in when we go for a weekend getaway to the coast. The front desk staff, gift shop, everyone was great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
That is the best news! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to write your review! We look forward to seeing you again!
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was our second time staying at the BW Agate Beach. While the rooms are a bit dated, they are clean and much to our surprise, when we arrived, our room was upgraded to an ocean view room. The staff is very friendly and I love how pet friendly the hotel is. We received "pet sheets" for the bed as well as treats and a poop bag. You can walk to Agate Beach in a few minutes. Will stay again, next time we visit Newport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us! We are in the process of getting ready to do some updating to our property and rooms. It is nice that we are pet friendly and love to see all the different breeds of dogs. Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel since it opened as a Hilton in 1981. We will have been responsible for five conferences there that completely filling the hotel. It originally was a Hilton, then became the Newport Inn which in its last days was really run down. Then it became a Holiday Inn and Finally a Best Western. The best management has been the Best Western. It is a well maintained hotel, though it is time that the single pane wall of windows in the rooms are replaced to solve the window fogging problem when you shower in the room even if you leave the vent fan on. As I said the rooms are clean and well kept up, though I understand the rooms will be completely renovated this winter. The Thanksgiving buffet was EXCEPTIONAL. The best I have seen for even twice the price. And I can judge these dinners as we always go out to eat somewhere on Thanksgiving and have done so for more than 20 years. We have been to places like Sunriver, Skamania, Suncadia, Brasada Ranch and other top of the line places. None were better than this for the meal served and many charged twice the price.

Room Tip: Highest floor facing the ocean are best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Harold G
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review, The Thanksgiving Buffet was so good as I did eat at the end! I had nothing but rave reviews as guest left! We are looking forward to your group being here again this next year. I am also very anxious to see how the rooms turn out as well!