“Great Location”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay in newport, and we were very happy with the accomodation. This hotel is located right on the duned beach, so we had a great time wandering through the sand dunes. There is a bar downstairs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope next time it is for longer. It is amazing how those dunes appear and then go away! I hope you found it nice having a restaurant and lounge right on property. Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is a little outdated and the hall ways have a little bit of a musty odor, the parking is not ideal (located on the roof), but other than that it is a decent hotel. Staff is very helpful and kind, the location is great, located on a very nice beach. Not the best hotel in Newport but definitely not the worst, I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank steaknife503
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

I am very happy to tell you that I am helping pick out new carpet for our hallways and we hope to have it installed sometime in January. We will be putting in new carpet in the rooms as well. I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again and have a different opinion of us. I do appreciate your comments!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My family and I have stayed at this Best Western motel on the Oregon Coast several times over a couple of years. It remains one of our most enjoyable accommodations. Reliably clearn. Great access to the beach and to the sites on the Central Oregon Coast. Wonderful indoor pool for the kids. Nice path to a lovely little beach. Terrific for big and small people. Good parking. Fine restaurant. (Try the wonderful Marion Berry cobbler -- the way cobbler is supposed to taste!). While the price has risen modestly over the last several years, it really is very affordable given the amenities and location.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view. A little more expensive but worth the air and scenary. After all, that is...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I was very happy to read your review of our hotel, It is obvious that you really like it here. I appreciate you taking the time to write this and let others know of your experience with your stay!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were generally pleased with this hotel - its proximity to the beach and view from the room. The average rating is less than I would ordinarily give. However, the generally positive qualities of the room were offset by extreme condensation on the windows. they only have single pane glass so condensation was constant, especially if you closed the curtain to keep out the first light of the day or for privacy. you could not see clearly out of the window some mornings. we also noticed that the ceiling area just above the windows showed the tell-tale spotting of mold. They should replace their windows to overcome this problem.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your concern about the condensation on the windows as a large hotel with lots of windows facing the ocean we do run into problems with them from time to time. I assure you we are working to correct the ones that we have a problem with. I hope you will come and stay with again. Thank you!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We ordered a B & B package and the front desk and wait staff were not on the same page with the vouchers which left us going back and forth between them to get situated. Even then one front desk staff asked us to come back in the morning since he didn't know about it. I wouldn't bother with the B & B package as it was such a hassle and they have a $5 chef special for breakfast every morning which would be cheaper. The waitresses were a little over worked and were rushing around the whole time at breakfast. The carpeting in the halls truly needs to be replaced as well, was even coming up in some areas like it needed restretching, especially by the elevators. One night all parking lots were completely full. The only reason I would ever stay here again is not because the hotel was anything special but because it is right on the beach and the view from the balcony was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! I am so sorry to hear about the confusion with your breakfast package. I will follow up to make sure our staff are all on the same page. I also wanted to let you know that I am in the process of picking out carpet now and get it ordered My hope is to have it in by February! I do hope you will come back and give us another try!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

And good for people too! This is a nicely run Best Western. High floor view rooms are great with views to the ocean and north to Yaquina light house. A short and easy walk down the hill to expansive beach. Good place for pets to be sure as there were quite a few. Also, good pet control rules such as no leaving alone in room... With the exception if you are in the restaurant or bar you can leave your cell phone number at front desk in case of whine or barking issue. Think of this place as expansive and roomy. Nice restaurant and spacious bar. Big lobby. Excellent wi fi in room. Need anything? Wal Mart, though unseen is adjacent.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

I am glad you appreciate that we are pet friendly! It is so fun to see all the different breeds of animals that we have stay with us. We are in a great location to be able to have a great view and see the lighthouse. I hope that we will see you again! Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights , just turned up and got a room. Staff at reception efficient but what about a smile! Lovely big room with fridge , tea/coffee making machine , safe etc etc and wonderful view of the vast beach , which you step from the hotel strait on to.
You can actually step over the boundary into Walmart from the top carpark--very helpful for those extra provisions!
The first night we made the mistake of visiting the Starfish Restaurant--dreadful salad served by a miserable hag! She was very offhand , miserable and , in the end , darn right rude. Perhaps she doesn´t like English people! We did not eat there again.
This hotel is well placed to see the area , but the river and waterfront with it´s fabulous fish restaurants are the other end of town.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the 6th floor--worth the little extra.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for your review of our property, I see that you had a problem with our dining room while you were here. Let me start by saying how sorry I am that this happened, I do not know if you reported this or not as I didn't hear anything. I assure you that customer service is a priority to me and I want each and everyone of our guest regardless of nationality to feel welcomed into our hotel and restaurant. I hope that you will come back and give us another try.