“Ok but nothing special”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The only reason this place gets good ratings is the location. Wonderful it is. However the hallways have low wattage bulbs in and give it that dingy icky feeling. The soap bars are the tiniest I have EVER seen. Almost funny. The carpeting has some spots on it. Just average at best. the outside looks like 50s soviet style housing Overall I would look somewhere else but there are not a lot of choices. One more thing - we got a dog friendly room. We were charges extra. It was supposed to have treats and doggie poop bags and something else. Nothing. They make all the dog rooms by the upstairs parking. But there is almost no place for the dogs to do their business. Ridiculous.

• Stayed: July 2012
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

I am very sorry about the pet ammenities, I do hope you asked the desk to bring them to you as they should have been in the room. We are working on a soulution on an pet area, We are also getting ready to do some upgrading to our hotel this fall. I am sorry you were not happy with your stay but I do hope you'll give us another try. Thank you,

There are newer reviews for Best Western Agate Beach Inn

Reviewed July 14, 2012

this hotel is right on a beautiful beach. The rooms were OK nothing special the price very good and the resturant meal was great I recomend this place

Room Tip: book a room facing the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I appreciate your comments about our hotel, We do have a great setting here, I am also glad you enjoyed our dining room. We are getting ready to roll out new menus this weekend. So come and give it a try. Thank you!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

we stayed there 2 nights and 3 days had a great time at a great price the staff is excellent and helpful. The room was great and clean. Kudos to the house keepers we were in room 513. Jul 9,10.11 The whole hotel was very clean we will be back my son recommmended your hotel and I'm glad he did this is by far the best in Newport.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob S
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Your review is very appreciated. We do our best to make sure that our guests have a enjoyable experience with us. I am so glad to hear that was the case for you, Tell you son thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This place is old a run-down and the women working behind the desk are not remotely friendly or helpful. We checked in and went to our room on the top (sixth) floor. Imagine our surprise when there were already guests in that room. This seems like Hotel 101 to me, but apparently this is just one of the things this hotel doesn't have down. We carted our luggage back to the lobby and were placed on the main floor and the result was a room near the pool (kids running down the hall all the time) with half the view as the previous room. I was not happy. Not to mention the fact that the room had hair all over it, a ridiculously old and stinky microwave, and other remnants of who even knows how many guests before us. Would NEVER stay here again ... EVER. And will in fact tell everyone I know to steer clear. After the hassle of the room, we were not even offered a free beverage coupon for the lounge!! Nothing. And trust me, it was quite sad to see the view we were going to have versus the one we ended up with.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda H
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

I am very sorry to hear that your experince with us was not a good one. I have tried to find your reservation information so that I could call you to speak to you about the problems. Unfortunatly we are not perfect and do make errors, I am sorry that once we made the mistake that you were not taken care of as you should have been. As for housekeeping issues I do hope that you let the desk know so that they could take care of this right away for you, I always tell my guest if your unhappy with your stay please let me know so that I can fix it or follow up with the staff that have made the errors. Please give me a call if you would like. Thank you and again I do apologize.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently spend a weekend night at this property with our two small children. Upon trying to check in early so that we could change before heading to the beach we were told room was not availalbe but we could use pool bathroom to change. Short walk to the beach was nice. Room was adequate and the little kitchenette area with microwave and fridge were especially nice to store our food. Pool area was packed in the evening with families like ourselves using it. In all was nice little getaway.

No complimentary breakfast was a bummer and expensive in the restaurant.

Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Thank you for your review, Summer is very busy for us and and check out is noon. We try to have the rooms cleaned as fast as possible with out compromising cleanliness. We do guarantee rooms to be ready by 4:00pm and if your room is ready we certainly will get you in right away. Since we do not have a continential breakfast we do offer a $5.00 special in the morning and kids eat for $1.00. I am sorry if you were not informed of this. I am glad that all in all you enjoyed your get away!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Outstanding location, ocean view, beach access, room, service and restaurant!!! Most comfortable bed in years!

Room Tip: "Nice" bikers stay here also.
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your review! We do have a awsome view, I am really pleased to hear that you enoyed your stay with us! We have a lot of Bike riders stay with us rain or shine.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We recently spent a couple nights at the Agate Beach Inn with our 2 year old and 7 year old. It was a perfect place for our family. The room was a nice size. The kids loved the pool, which was very nice - clean, large and in a pretty setting. The staff were professional and friendly, including the room service staff, the front desk staff and the restaurant staff. One of our waitresses was so good with our kids, we just knew she was an expert. It turned out she was a teacher on summer break. We went to the Aquarium near by, the tide pools and one of the many historic light houses in the area. The volunteers at the Aquarium, tide pools and lighthouse were all so friendly and knowledgable. They each enhanced our positive experience. Newport is a great place for a family get-away - lots of things to explore. Thank you to the general manager and staff at Agate Beach Inn and thank you to all the local Newport volunteers. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ocean view or partial ocean views are a must!
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

I am so happy to hear that you really enjoyed your time here with us at the hotel as well as Newport! Thank you so much and we hope you come back to visit us soon!