“This is my family's Newport Hotel!”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Salem, OR
“This is my family's Newport Hotel!”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My family and I first stayed here in Thanksgiving of 2010 and were absolutely blown away! The Thanksgiving buffet is amazing! The pool facility is great! The beds are comfy and the rooms are very nice. The view is positively incredible! Even though you do have to cross the street, it is a very short walk to Agate Beach.
The service is excellent. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. One time when my family was staying here, there were some boys at the pool who were throwing a BOOGIE BOARD into the water and then jumping on it. It was very rude and when my mother went down to complain (the rest of the family was already in the water), an employee came down promptly and asked them to leave, no questions asked. Very impressive!
The restaurant is a little pricy, but most hotel restaurants are, and there are many great places to eat in Newport.
We have probably stayed in this hotel 4 times since that first Thanksgiving and refuse to stay anywhere else when we visit Newport. We all agree that one of the most exciting parts about our visits to Newport is getting to stay in what is probably just about our favorite hotel anywhere! We highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend staying here when you visit Newport!

(Note: The time we stayed, indicated below, is our most recent stay.)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our Hotel! We are so happy that you like our hotel and is a tradition to your family. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Manzanita, Oregon
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed in Newport for a night, and found this hotel because their pool looked incredible, which it was. It was the biggest, and warmest pool we have been in on the Oregon Coast. The rooms however were a bit outdated, and needed a makeover. The toilet kept not flushing, and the heater kept making loud noises when it was set a certain way. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hallways were a bit dark, cold, and felt dingy. The view was spectacular from the the pool, the hallways, and restaurant. Which by the way is ok, if you are hungry and want to eat that restaurant on the ground floor will do. We would be back but only because the pool, and the prices were decent.

Room Tip: Get a ocean view room only if the weather is nice, and you are going to be in your room quite a bit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you enjoyed our swimming pool we get great comments on it! We are still in the process stage of doing some upgrading to our rooms. We are hoping that some of the things will be done by the end of the year. I do hope that you reported the problems that you had to our front desk. We hope to see you again soon!
Seal Rock, OR
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went to the restaurant at the Agate Beach Inn for Thanksgiving last weekend. OMG, it was fantastic!!! By far THE best dressing I've ever had. Sorry Grandma, but it's true. Three entrees plus Dungeness crab legs, large prawns and smoked salmon plus salads and an incredible array of side dishes. The desserts were melt-in-your-mouth heavenly. Anyone who was age 55 or older paid $16.95 each otherwise it was $21.95. There were a lot of people there but I still don't know how they broke even on such a huge buffet. Perhaps the bar? The wait staff was exemplary. I usually don't recommend going out for the holidays, but I plan to go there again next year. Why cook when I can go somewhere that's better than I can do and much cheaper? I give this buffet 10 Stars!

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the rooms but I did here comments from people who did. No disappointments.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
We are so happy that you enjoyed the Thanksgiving day Buffet, This was my first year hear as a manger and was quite impressed myself! I have passed your great comments along to the staff and hope to see you other times as well. Thank you!
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Great place to stay at, I am a housekeeping inspector at my hotel and the room my family and i stayed in was wonderful and very clean. The housekeepers are great. I enjoyed my stay here with my family. Defiantly a lot of things to do around the area. My family and i hope to stay here again in the future. Will be recommending this place to friends and Family. Enjoyed everything about your hotel keep up the good work!

Room Tip: High Floor rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Djara1991
Thank you so much for your great comments, I have passed them along to the staff! I appreciate you taking the time to write your comments and we hope to see you again soon!
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The previous night I had stayed in Woodburn where I was in a room next to the elevator. Since I didn't get much sleep that night, I decided to stop in Newport instead of fighting to stay awake the rest of the way home. Great decision!

I wish I was better at remembering names but the gal at the Front Desk (Judy?), was wonderfully accommodating. She let me check in around 11AM. After a nap, I had a wonderful time exploring Newport (one of my favorite spots along the coast). The 6th floor view was to die for even on a stormy day. Amazingly enough, the same friendly gal remembered me and the room I was in when I went to check out.

A big plus is the pet friendly atmosphere (though I didn't discover the treat bag for the dog until I was about to leave.) There's a bridge from the 6th floor that goes right to the upper parking lot. Very handy for walks with the dog, especially when it's raining and windy.

I saw absolutely nothing I'd consider "outdated".

The restaurant was handy during a stormy visit. The wait staff and the food were excellent.

Room Tip: It looks like you might have to ask for an ocean view (especially during tourist season). The bridge...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Gunta14
Renton, Washington
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent 2 nights at the Best Western Plus Agate Beach Inn. Our room was on the 6th floor with a wonderful view of the ocean and sunsets. The hotel is dog friendly and had a little treat bag for our pup. From the first floor it's about 100 yards to the beach access. We ordered breakfast from the restaurant. Fantastic food, I had the Eggs, Potatoes and Razor Clams and my wife had the Bagel and Salmon. Our stay was very enjoyable and we will be returning.

Room Tip: Ocean front high floor for the best views of the beach and sunsets. Upper parking lot has access dir...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cdseil
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, The picture you took is beautiful, I actually remember that day the sky was like that. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed recently on the Oregon Coast for a work meeting. Typically most best westerns are nice and up to date. This one was not. The staff was friendly but the room was less to be desired.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank duckdog98604
I am very sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with our property, Yes we do need to make some upgrades and are currently working on some things. I do hope you come back when we have done this. I appreciate your comments.