“Nothing more thanjust average”

Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed recently on the Oregon Coast for a work meeting. Typically most best westerns are nice and up to date. This one was not. The staff was friendly but the room was less to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank duckdog98604
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

I am very sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with our property, Yes we do need to make some upgrades and are currently working on some things. I do hope you come back when we have done this. I appreciate your comments.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

The hotel is right off the main highway and only a two minute walk from Agate Beach. The room was large and clean, the restaurant seemed a little old and outdated, although the food was very good. Will probably stay here again just to visit the beach!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, You mentioned that our restaurant seemed out dated. We have just put 7 all new Flat Screen TVs in our lounge this last weeks so that it is updated. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

While this is an older property and our pet room faced the highway--which we knew before arrival--the hotel was extremely pet friendly, allowing dogs of any weight, and the staff was more than friendly and helpful. We had a spacious room with two beds and it was very clean and quiet. We'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will come back to see us again. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

There are many choices of hotels along the Oregon coast, with lots of options in Newport. We have stayed at the Agate Beach Inn several times, and can highly recommend the facility.

Positives: Great location. As many previous reviewers have noted, be sure to request an ocean-view room, on the back side of the building - and the higher the better. The evening sunsets over the beach, with the Yaquina Head lighthouse in the background are unforgettable. The front side faces US 101, and can be noisy. The hotel is very popular for conventions, workshops, etc., so book early for the ocean-view rooms. Great welcoming staff, and a minor problem was very quickly resolved half-way through our three-day stay. Our room had a flat screen HDTV set; the WiFi was very fast at all times. The rooms are not large, but we spent very little time in them!

There's lots to do in the area: don't miss the Hatfield Marine Science Center and the Oregon Coast Aquarium, a short drive away. This year, we spent a full day at the Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area, with a lighthouse to visit and several trails to walk - again, a short drive away. There's a good restaurant on site, with some great seafood restaurants along the "Old Town" waterfront.

Negatives: Although the facility is close to the beach, it is a steep walk to and from. There is a parking lot at the bottom of the hill, but beach access was still problematic for some. Some rooms are dog-friendly, so if you have allergy concerns, you might want to check whether the room assigned to you has been so designated. There are balconies attached to all rooms, but they are far too small to be used for sitting out.

In all, a very good location.. we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stamperbc
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will see you again!

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We have stayed at several Best Westerns. This one is by far one of the very best. The rooms are large and comfortable.
Everything you need is there.
Hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank USNBMC
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to let us know! We look forward to your return. Thank you!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

If I had paid the rack rate for this room I would have been very unhappy. Even the extremely good rate from Groupon, I wouldn't go there again, and it was almost free. The room was very small with a low ceiling, it felt very much like a box. The furniture was old and looked plastic. The view was great but the windows were so filmed that you had to open the door to see out. The microwave is probably one of the first ever made. The bathroom door almost hit the toilet and when you switch the water from tub to shower, it came out lukewarm at most. The food took forever to appear, we waited 45 minutes for a rueben sandwich. The access to the beach is down the hill, across the street and over a water hazard. Not coming back here again with so many other nicer places to stay for much less.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2011

I do appreciate your review and I am very sorry that your experience with us was not good! Unfortunatly some of our rooms do seem small while other seem bigger. I just want to apologize for your dissapointing stay!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I had previously stayed at this Best Western with my family a few times and always enjoyed our stay. As I have before I booked this room online and we really looked forward to our stay.

We had reservations for 3 nights and pre-paid $572. Upon arrival we were given a room with a parking lot view and told that it was a ocean view. The room was also small and looked nothing like rooms we'd had previously or that were shown online. The final straw was that it was at the end of the hall right next to the door to the humid, heated pool.

The front desk wasn't that concerned when I voiced my concerns and didn't seem to care when I returned to the desk and told them I was moving to another hotel. The real test will be how hard it is to get my money back.

In my opinion the Hallmark is far superior at a better price for a family and the Elizabeth Street in is much, much better for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank WorkmanFamily

I am very sorry that your room was not what was expected. You mentioned you had stayed with us before and that you had a good experience, I do hope that you asked to be moved and if that wasn't an option because we were full I do apologize. I hope that you were able to get your money refunded and if not please let me know and I will help in way I can. I do hope that you will come back and give us another try. Thank you!