“A Hole in the Wall Worthy of Consideration!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandbar & Grill

Sandbar & Grill
Ranked #51 of 109 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Vancouver, Canada
“A Hole in the Wall Worthy of Consideration!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We came to the restaurant portion of this place by accident and literally from the back door rather than though the frontside bar, probably because we had the kids with us and were looking for food. If you are looking for Michelin Stars, go somewhere else. If you are looking for delicious food to feed the troops in a relaxed place at a very reasonable price, this is it. Service was slower since they had only one server but a couple on the way out whispered that the steak was great and this piqued my interest. I had a boatload of seafood in the past few days and wanted to add some turf to my surf. We ordered one of the steak, the steamer, the seafood chowder, a hamburger and fries for the kids and a shrimp salad. The steak was perfect, the steamer was generous, and the stew was stellar. Even something as simple as fries were done perfectly crisp and golden (it's the little things that count). All in all a simple but well executed meal. This place is about kicking back for a casual meal with great food and making a few friends along the way. If you get uptight about service, decor and fancy stuff, take a pass.

Visited July 2013

Lincoln City, Oregon
“Walk on by....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went here at the suggestion of a co-worker, BIG MISTAKE! Small place, great view, terrible service. We ate upstairs on the deck with our two children. The waitress was unfriendly and allowed people to smoke even though there was a NO SMOKING sign and children present. After we ordered our food it took 55 minutes to get our food. The waitress dropped it off never to return. No drink refills, no ketchup for fries, no nothing. The "halibut" fish and chips was, I swear, frozen Gordon's fisherman's right out of the freezer case. Only one side was cooked crispy, the other side was soggy. The fries were cold. My daughter ordered chicken Alfredo that was swimming in sauce and had only a cup of noodles. My prime rib tasted like dry over cooked roast beef. Nothing was hot when it came to the table. 30 minutes after getting our food I called on the phone downstairs to request our waitress to bring our check. I guess we will cross this place off our list. To bad, we are locals here and word of mouth is always the best advertisement. The only thing I can say is WALK PAST THIS PLACE.

• Visited July 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Great, Friendly, Local Sports Bar With Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Ever since I first visited Newport in 2006, the Sandbar has been my evening hangout of choice. The food, while not "gourmet", is perfectly acceptable, and you can have an enjoyable, filling dinner at a reasonable price. Friday night, I had their prime rib special, served with a salad, bread, and a baked potato, and it was great, all for under $20. But I go there for the local flavor of the place more than anything. The drinks are good and generously poured, the bartenders (Amanda, Lynn, and especially Patty) are all awesome, and the clientelle is local and friendly. They have a pool table, juke box, and several TVs all tuned to different sporting events. Go and enjoy the place for what it is: a friendly local hangout. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited January 2013
Bend, oregon, USA
“Love this "dive" bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I hate to call something a dive, because it so often has a negative connotation. For the Sandbar, this means that it is funky and old and you get your drinks fast and strong. We have not eaten upstairs, but definitely love hanging out downstairs in the bar.

Visited January 2013
Balaton, mn
“Stopped in for a Burger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Great little locals place, Had a burger and fries, Was one of the best I have ever had. Good service, clean, friendly and awsome cocktails.

Visited January 2013