“Great food with wonderful harbor view”
Review of Sail Inn Cafe

Sail Inn Cafe
Ranked #86 of 112 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Description: The restaurant just opened in September 2010. phone 541-444-7111 and they do have a web page.
Washington, VT
“Great food with wonderful harbor view”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I ate at the cafe several times, as we were staying in one of the upstairs units. Our meals were very good, and the view of the harbor activities is very enjoyable. We especially enjoyed the fish and chips, the shrimp and crab sandwich, and the clam chowder.

• Visited December 2012

Twin Falls, Idaho
“Yummy Food”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stopped and had dinner here as we actually were staying in the little rental apartment upstairs and had just arrived. My hubby had the oyster po'boy and he really enjoyed it. I had the fish and chips and it was fine. Nothing outstanding but good traditional fare.
The restaurant also has a few Thai dishes on there that I would have loved to try but maybe next time.

• Visited November 2012
Walla Walla, Washington
“My food was good, but the service was lacking”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

So I had a shrimp/crab melt on the advice of the server and it was the bomb! Bread,seafood, cheese came together well.

Now for the OK. My friend had a large portion of fish and chips. It was OK. He had had a great fish and chips the night before and it was cod and flavorful. They didn't say what this fish was, but it was probably halibut and fairly bland.

We ordered the beer that was posted as the special for $3.00. When we got the bill it was a higher price. We were told that we got a draft instead of the bottle. We reminded him that we had pointed at the sign when we ordered so he gave it to us for the $3.00 price.

I do agree with the comments of others. This place was empty when we arrived, when all the other restaurants were taking orders yet it took forever for someone to take our order. Then once we were done eating no one came back. I actually had to go and get my own flatware and napkins. We also ordered water. It came out when we were eating and he told us the ice had melted before he remembered to bring it out to us. Um, couldn't you have gotten us another glass?

My melt was great though!!!

• Visited September 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Bad Food and Service. Sticky Table.”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I’m a big fish & chip fan and I also love locally owned businesses. On a recent visit to Newport, I tried out the Sail Inn Café. Big mistake! I should have realized that this wasn’t a great place when I walked up the stairs because it was almost empty even though there was a line at most of the other restaurants on the waterfront. But, I was light headed with hunger. Then I sat down and everything on my table was sticky. It was the “old grease” type of sticky.

I ordered iced tea and fish & chips. The iced tea was stale. The fish & chips were good while they were piping hot (and I was really hungry) but the fish got heavy and greasy as it cooled, ick!

The final straw was the service. It took forever to place my order (even though the place was almost empty) and get my check. I paid my $11 check with a $20 bill and then had to wait 10 minutes to get my change. I had the feeling that the two employees were hoping that I would get fed up and just leave a $9 tip. For me, good service does equal a good tip but this wasn’t good service. Never again!

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank TravelingTrixieBelle
Olympia, Washington
“fun find”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had nice light lunch at Sail Inn Cafe. Enjoyed the squid salad. Plenty of tender squid, on greens with rice wine vinegar dressing. Grilled fresh tuna salad good also. Fish tacos average.

Visited August 2012