“The Best Thing About it Was the Beer in the Refrigerator” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of House of Rogue Bed & Beer

House of Rogue Bed & Beer
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
House of Rogue Bed & Beer
Ranked #7 of 8 Newport B&B and Inns
Sandpoint, Idaho
“The Best Thing About it Was the Beer in the Refrigerator”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed only one night at the House of Rogue Bed & Beer, attracted by the name and the somewhat "funky" nature of the accommodations. I wasn't totally surprised that it wasn't the Waldorf; the price was moderate and there were pictures available on the internet.

I did expect a clean, nice, quiet, comfortable place to get a night's sleep. It wasn't clean (I seriously wonder when the the windows were last washed - certainly not recently), it wasn't nice (very dated and poorly maintained), it certainly wasn't quiet (the neighbor's dog barked until a little after midnight, and the neighbors made lots of noise after that), it was far from comfortable (the mattress probably wasn't comfortable when it was new, and that was a long, long time ago). You sink so far into the couch that you must be touching the floor.

Check in is at the pub downstairs - a painless process, but don't even think about checking in before 4:00 PM - the rooms aren't ready. Even at 5:00 PM the linens were still spinning in the dryer. Parking is not provided - if you're lucky you get a 12 hour space in the lot adjacent to the building. If you're not lucky, you're on your own to find a place.

The pub downstairs rates a lot higher - fun place with lots of very good beer and good people.

Recommend you spend a little more and stay at a nicer, quieter and more comfortable place in or around Newport. Rogue, I suggest you rent the rooms to employees or the homeless people who frequent your outdoor tables and forget about the B&B concept - it's not working.

I like Rogue products and will continue to buy them. However, I certainly won't be returning to the B&B.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BigPyne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Jonesboro, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in the one bedroom apartment for 2 nights in August. Not sure what to expect as we'd never been to Oregon and Newport had several interesting accomodations. Very glad we chose this if for nothing else than the chance to brag to friends about staying in a Bed and Beer. The bar and restaurant downstairs have a great staff and excellent food. We were glad that the room seems very soundproofed to both other apartments and the bar downstairs. Be sure to sign up to be a member of Rogue Nation as you get a discount on the room and merchandise. We rented crab rings and there is a dock just across the street where you can set them. Very fun! Wished we'd had an extra day as the charter fishing trips were reasonably priced and all returning with good catches. Enjoyed comparing clam chowders from Rogue, Mo's and the fish market. The one downside of the room, no view of the bay. That's okay with me as I enjoyed watching the activity at the processing plant across the street and the places with views were considerably more expensive. Newport is a real working seaport and I think that makes it all the more interesting. If that's a deal breaker you might try the Sail Inn. It's above a cafe and seemed to have good harbor views.

Room Tip: I believe the two bedroom rooms gives you a small balcony, none with the one bedroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dbaaww
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

After finishing my commercial fishing seasons I've always needed a place to unwind for a few days.

From 2005 on I've stayed at two of the upstairs apartments (right side corner and the center of the building) always had a comfortable stay-and of course a lot of fun!
The sampler tray at the pub was a great value, nice to try the different Rogue varieties.
Bed was comfy, clean bathrooms, living area was large for the cost, a nice kitchen with a few beers waiting in the fridge upon arrival and pint glasses to enjoy one of the best-if not the best brewers in the nation.

Another plus is that you can purchase beer for takeaway, still have a few bottles of Old Crusty hanging out here at home in WA state.
Only cons I can think of is availability-I had to make reservations pretty far in advance since there's only 3 units available upstairs so at times it's a cross your fingers and hope there's a vacancy.
The stairs leading up to the rooms can be hairy after a great night out-but not like the narrow/vertical climb in Haarlem NL. so no worries.

Warm hospitality, close to many restaurants, views of the Bay and you can roadtrip along scenic 101 which is great for photography while sitting on a roadside bluff just chilling to nature.

Well recommended.

Room Tip: Contact the property early to reserve a unit.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night during a recent trip. Although we love Rogue beer and enjoyed touring the brewery, I would not stay here again. The two bedroom apartment was large, but it had a very strong pet odor. It's budget friendly, as mentioned in the other post, so I didn't expect anything luxurious, but the smell of pet urine was too much for me. Most of the apartment, including the bedroom and bathroom were very clean, but some other spots need attention. It was quiet in our unit, and my husband enjoyed the two beers waiting for us in the refrigerator.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JandMTraveling
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

The Bed and Beer at the Rogue Public Ale House is a very budget friendly and beer orientated lodging. Located in a fun part of Newport and above the brew pub, it is a central place to explore and taste beer. There are three available "rooms" that are more like apartments. They all contain one or two bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and ours had a washer and drier. When we arrived, there were two large and yummy brews waiting for us in the fridge.

The room we stayed in (the Tiki Room) had a "beachy" feel and would have been the perfect place for my buddies if we were on an extended stay during a road trip. Please keep in mind, the accommodations are not very luxurious and you pay for what you get. Since the lodging is located above a brew pub, it can be noisy on the street later in the evening and there is a weird vibration/hum from the kitchen below. We don't recommend this place for anyone who is picky about accommodations or looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple