“Go for the beer, not the food”

Brewer's on the Bay
Ranked #56 of 113 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled inside the Rogue Ales Brewery, this two story brewpub offers a panoramic view of Yaquina Bay and the marina. You can enjoy the full line of Rogue brews, brewery tours, and 40 taps. Sunday-Thursday:11am to 9pmFriday and Saturday: 11am to 10pm
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The beer sampler let us try four of the 40 beers currently on tap-a tasty way to try some of the more intriguing (how can you not try Yellow Snow IPA)? However, don't expect the same level in the food. The hummus plate was nondescript, although big enough to share (bland hummus, water packed artichokes and light olive oil-only the kalamata olives added any taste). The clam chowder had occasional clumps of roux/flour lumps. But go for the beer and know the food is not the reason you stopped in the first place! (Also take a spin around the parking lot to try the Rogue Distillery at $1 per sample shot).

There are newer reviews for Brewer's on the Bay

Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you enjoy sampling radically different flavours of beer, this pub and restaurant in Rogue's Newport brewery makes for a satisfying pilgrimage. The pub is all rough wood with a long bar and a forest of taps. The restaurant is very plain with metal table tops, wooden chairs, a simple open kitchen, and fast professional service. Both have a view of the boat harbour and the bay beyond. The fun part is that to get to the entrance, you have to walk right through the brewery. Not so fun is that you have to walk back again to use the washroom.

The food was decent. We had the interesting cheese+beer soup and some fish tacos. Nothing special but just right for the price. The best menu feature is the 4-beer taster set for $6. Pick any four beers on the menu -- about 40! On our visit the place was busy with both locals, tourists, and even big family groups.

The gift shop at the downstairs entrance is fun but way overpriced.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was excited to go this brewery and wished it would have been better than my initial optimism.
The bar/resturant area is fun to get to through the actual brewery - warm welcome and an amazing variety of beers on tap - loved the Yellow Snow! Food choices looked good, but just didn't deliver. I shared the deep fried calamari - unfortunately, not lightly breaded as the menu suggested and several pieces were not cooked. The Kobe burger tasted great, though my dining partners said their food was ok - I would give an 'Excellent' for the beer and an 'Average' for the food -

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I took my adult son to the Rouge while we were camping at the coast for his birthday. When we went in we asked to sit at the bar. The waitress there gave us samples of beers so we could make a good decision. The atmosphere was warm, the conversation with the staff and my son was wonderful. The waitress even took pictures for us with my camera. Next time I am in Newport I will be back. Thanks for a good time.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Well worth looking for when in Newport. Great place to rest after spending most of the day at the aquarium.