“What Trip???”

Captain’s Reel Deep Sea Fishing
Ranked #3 of 9 Tours in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain's Reel Charters provides individual and group trips for deep sea fishing, ocean/bay crabbing, and whale watching. Each season of the year offers unique charters & attractions. Ocean excursions can be close to shore for rock fishing or ocean crabbing. We travel into deep water for Halibut, and troll for Salmon. Our charters can extend up to 100 miles off shore fishing for Albacore Tuna.
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What Trip???”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My trip was cancelled the afternoon before. We took two days off work, and booked a hotel room, only to receive a phone call saying... sorry, we are cancelling your trip. They said that the boat was broken, and did not give us any other re-scheduling options or referrals to other charter companies. We ended up booking with another company for less $, and had a great trip... regardless. I will never use Captain's Reel... they could have handled this situation better!

3 Thank EvaOrlik
bereal4sure, Manager at Captain’s Reel Deep Sea Fishing, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi Eva,

I apologize for your disappointment in our company but need to explain that we had an issue on the boat that you had booked. This is unpredictable and will happen on occasion and unfortunately, there is no way to know in advance when parts and maintenance will need to be replaced. These boats run twice a day every day and when an issue occurs, we are given no notice. We were able to call you the day before and I apologize that you felt inconvenienced.

If I could have given you more notice, I would have.

Regards,
Captains Reel

Baker City
“Great fishing trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked an 18 hour tuna trip with Captain's Reel Charters for August 10th, 2013. I was very impressed with the friendly, professional service that we received. The captain of the boat and the deck hands worked hard all day to get us as many fish as possible. Even though the bite was a bit slow, we all ended up with 5 nice albacore per person. Most of our group had never been tuna fishing before and the crew did a great job of teaching us the process. I would definatley book with Captain's Reel Charters again.

Beavercreek, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Dissappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We signed up for a 12 hour tuna expedition and ended up going on a 5 hour rockfish trip. We did catch rockfish, but the letdown after our excited anticipation of a tuna trip was hard to get over. Initially I signed up for the 12 hour tuna trip on the advice of the office staff who said that the 12 hour trip was a much better buy than the 18 hour. I made reservations 3 weeks in advance and was told that the trip would go "unless the ocean was not cooperating". Three days before the trip I called back to check on some details and nothing was said about a cancellation. On the day before the trip....too late to cancel our hotel reservation without penalty....we were called and told that the trip was indeed going to be cancelled because the "tuna were running too far off the coast". A 12 hour trip would not allow enough time to catch any fish....The 18 hour trip would, but they were not doing an 18 hour trip. We were offered the rockfishing trip instead. We are not from Newport and had driven 2.5 hours and booked a hotel the night before the trip.....it seemed pointless to just turn around and drive home so we went rockfishing. I don't have any huge complaints about that experience, but I I will never book another trip with Captain Reel.

5 Thank Cynthia16N
Hi Cynthia,
I apologize for your experience regarding tuna fishing however, if we hadn't told you about the tuna running over 50 miles out your experience would have been much worse. Tuna fish swim at an average of 60 miles per hour and have a very high metabolism therefore, it is very feasible that the tuna swam thirty plus miles overnight. We are unable to predict when and where the tuna will school- we can only work with our charts.

We do have a very high regard for our customers (as our ratings prove) so I am sorry that you feel that we do not care about our return rate.

We did the very best that we could in order to offer you the best trip possible on the date that you came and we are very happy that you caught several rock fish and had a good trip.

Regards,
Captains Reel
Pasco, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Really good trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

At first I was hesitant because the deckhand no showed so the hand to call someone else to come in, and he was just a fillaer...we took off not long after we were scheduled to, we did move quite often but I understand you got to go where the fish are... Every one on our trip caught at least 2 fish! I caught 6, 2 fish every time I reeled in! 3 guys caught big lingcod each over 30" long!!!
Over all great trip can't wait to do it again! FYI where waterproof cloths as. Eat you can and maybe even warm gloves or some hot hand warmers it gets colder than you think!

2 Thank Angie O
Boise, Idaho, United States
“The Best Fishing Experience Ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We booked a fishing trip with Captain's Reel Charters for 6 people and we only ended up with 5 people going. We were prepared to pay for 6 people but were only charged for the 5 that went. So that was the first great thing about the trip. Second great experience, we took my nephew who was 10 yrs. old and had never been deep sea fishing and when we arrived to the first fishing hole the Captain threw his line out and within a minute had a fish on. He handed his pole over to my nephew and said young man reel it in. My nephew had the best time ever! The young deck hand Noah was super friendly and made my nephew at ease. In the 5 hour trip that we took we caught 16 fish between 5 people and it was awesome. The Captain, Jerald was great and very friendly which made this fishing trip one to remember. Everyone at this establishment was very professional, easy going, and FUN! If you are going deep sea fishing in Newport, Oregon you must book with Captain's Reel Charters NOT Tradewinds. A $5 difference in price is completely worth the wonderful experience that we had. THANKS CAPTAIN'S REEL CHARTERS!!!

Visited July 2013